Haters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
grndslm said:
You call me a troll, I'm a man with a goal. As long as the right person hears what I have to say, I'm OK. Bottom to Top management is what Open Source was supposed to be all about, right?

The fact that my thread was CLOSED instead of moved to a more suitable location proves that this community has other goals and isn't open to ideas.
You claim not to be a troll, but your posting history says otherwise. Your "goal" is contrary to the entire spirit of the community - but of course you neither know this, since you didn't bother to familiarise yourself with the device or the community, nor, clearly, do you care.

What you want is an n800 with a beefier CPU. That is not what the Pandora is, and it never has been. The Pandora was created as a successor to the GP32 and the GP2X, both gaming handhelds. The Pandora is likewise a gaming handheld. It can perform more functions than any gaming handheld to date, because of its diverse input methods and more powerful and versatile hardware, and many of us will use it for things which the n800 and other "internet tablets" were created for, but don't make the mistake of thinking that it was intended as a successor to those devices.

"The future" is not defined by your preferences. Pandora is not the future of the n800 series. This is a good thing. Our priorities as a community are not those to which Nokia caters. Pandora is the future of handheld open gaming. You don't understand that, which is why your design suggestions are not being taken seriously.

Also, have you ever challenged a patent? Even with a good lawyer, the battle would be prohibitively expensive. Without legal counsel? No chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
chad78 said:
Also - the whole bit about "What are those round things?... we could move those to the side I guess..." That was rubbish. It really was dumb to start redesigning a device without knowing what it does or what the parts are. The suggestion about a tablet mode - I totally get. I wish that were possible, too. But it's not. The rest of it, sliding things around without knowing what they are or what they do... WTF, dude. Seriously - W T F?

At the very least - don't expect to be taken seriously or warmly received when you start talking about stuff you openly admit you don't understand in the slightest.
How could I expect to be taken seriously when I just joined the forum a day ago?? That wasn't my expectation in the slightest.

I simply had ideas & asked a pretty decent question. "What are those round things? Analog joysticks?" That was my first day posting, and after reading much I couldn't see jack about them. It *was* on the frontpage, but I have a selective learning process.

Point is... if I hadn't asked that question "Are those analog joysticks?"... would you have all reacted the same way?? Very doubtful. All but one of you took that question WAY out of context for what a n00b should be expected to know.

Ignoring that ignorant question, everything else I've suggested has been ignored because it's been thought of before, but it really doesn't seem like much effort had really been put into alternative designs.

I guess all I can say is sorry I showed up 6 months too late to convince you of a better way. I really am.

grndslm said:
Ignoring that ignorant question, everything else I've suggested has been ignored because it's been thought of before, but it really doesn't seem like much effort had really been put into alternative designs.
Speechless. I'm speechless.

Tom` said:
What you want is an n800 with a beefier CPU. That is not what the Pandora is, and it never has been. The Pandora was created as a successor to the GP32 and the GP2X, both gaming handhelds. The Pandora is likewise a gaming handheld. It can perform more functions than any gaming handheld to date, because of its diverse input methods and more powerful and versatile hardware, and many of us will use it for things which the n800 and other "internet tablets" were created for, but don't make the mistake of thinking that it was intended as a successor to those devices.

"The future" is not defined by your preferences. Pandora is not the future of the n800 series. This is a good thing. Our priorities as a community are not those to which Nokia caters. Pandora is the future of handheld open gaming. You don't understand that, which is why your design suggestions are not being taken seriously.
I would like a N800 with a beefier cpu, touchscreen, a decent thumbboard, 2 SD card slots, & a clamshell device would be VERY nice. But it would be better if it could also be turned into a tablet one way or another. If you would also read the FAQ, this is a UMPC/MID just as much as it is a GP2X... if you would like a gaming device, why upgrade to the Pandora??? I was trying to offer a suggestion to help the Pandora out, as it seems very hopeless to say there will NEVER be another patent-less design than the basic clamshell.

Tom` said:
Also, have you ever challenged a patent? Even with a good lawyer, the battle would be prohibitively expensive. Without legal counsel? No chance.

The gov't doesn't charge that much to fight in court over a patent, and the fees for appeals are also chump change compared to the $$ that the upper-echelon of Pandora devs will be dealing with. They just don't wanna go thru the trouble, and that's their right. They started it, but I'm still reinforcing the fact that there are better ways for adopters of this device as a whole.

waffles said:
Internet fight!
My money's on the nerdy, overly critical, hypersensitive one! (Which one's the nerdy, overly critical, hypersensitive one?) ;) (This joke was not pointed at anyone in particular - just internet fights in general. If you must apply it's implications to anyone, please apply them to me. Not only do I admit to being nerdy, overly critical at times, and overly sensitive as well - but that would mean the money's on me - so I'm favored to win!!!) 8^)

waffles said:
Internet fight!

internetfightgs0.jpg
... I'm sorry.

Edit: Also, maybe I should go play the lottery, for I am Nostradamus. My next prediction: this topic shall be locked as soon as a mod sees it.
BigTruck said:
I'd wager you're going to get flamed to high hell for this.

grndslm said:
Those of you who have been frequenting this site for a year or more in anticipation of this device need to take a chill pill when it comes to those who have just learned about this device. No one is as perfect as you.
What you refuse to consider is that those of us who have frequented this site for a long time have a better idea of what this device is about than you do. I joined recently, but I've been lurking here since just after the GP2X came out. I followed the many design discussions and decisions which were made, and hence I, as have the others who have posted in this thread, have a far more complete picture of the situation than you do. And yet you continue to insist that your ideas are better and better-considered than those of the device's creators and the community?
grndslm said:
I would like a N800 with a beefier cpu, touchscreen, a decent thumbboard, 2 SD card slots, & a clamshell device would be VERY nice. But it would be better if it could also be turned into a tablet one way or another. If you would also read the FAQ, this is a UMPC/MID just as much as it is a GP2X...

grndslm said:
You could triple the devices sold if it could be turned into a tablet-only device. It's the future. Traditional clamshells with touchscreens with these funky input setups are NOT the future. You could gain a much broader market if you tried, but if you want to do the bare minimum with no hassle... so be it.
grndslm said:
if you would like a gaming device, why upgrade to the Pandora??? I was trying to offer a suggestion to help the Pandora out, as it seems very hopeless to say there will NEVER be another patent-less design than the basic clamshell.
The Pandora is a gaming device. It's a lot more as well, but it was designed as a gaming device first. If I recall correctly, the original design was based on a SoC that was a direct descendant of the one in the GP2X. The MID functions came with the new SoC from TI. It's great to have them, but you continue to miss the point that the roots of this device and this community involve classic gaming first. The Pandora is what it is - a gaming handheld with much more functionality, or, if you prefer, an MID designed with gaming in mind. Either way, it doesn't fit your personal vision. Fine, but don't suggest that we're disregarding your opinions because we're "haters."

AS has been said, The Pandora`s hardware status is final, Also the chances of a Pandora 2 are uncertain to say the least, Which depends on how the current Pandora is received when it`s released.

BigTruck said:
My next prediction: this topic shall be locked as soon as a mod sees it.
And your predictions are correct.

Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back