Tablet Mode: The Fully Backward Compatible "new Feature"

daffy

"No new features because we would break compatibility" is a great philosophy. But:

If a Pandora 1.1 came out which added only the ability to rotate the screen atop the keyboard (or whatever) so we could use it as a tablet, then nothing whatever would be different as far as the software environment was concerned.

I would sell my current preorder model and lay out an extra $100 in a heartbeat for such a model. Would that not cover the patents involved? (Not to mention recent court decisions that might invalidate these patents)

Perhaps, but there are other reasons the current Pandora feature set is frozen. The main one being that the devs don't want to split the community. You can see for yourself how insane the Pandora's fanbase is. We don't need rabid devotees of both the Pandora 1.0 and 1.1 designs.

There have been extensive discussions about this.
The bottom line is:
1. It's patented.
2. Design is set in stone and won't change.

Maybe I'll add references later on.

Edit:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44693&hl=

This thread is a fairly in depth view of hardware design hurdles of a swivel hinge design. The effort would be huge, even the PCB would have to be redesigned to reduce the wire count going to the lid IMO
Your best bet would be to buy a second Pandora and make a custom tablet-only design.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a feasible option for the Pandora. We do not have the legal or monetary resources to navigate the patent minefield across which lies a "convertible tablet" Pandora. Link 1 Link 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Back