Head Mounted Pandora Display?

anchuu

Still Fresh
Hi,

First off; no, I have no intention of actually mounting a computer to my head, but I have a couple of Qs that need some As. (Sorry to throw you off. :))

So, what I think would be really cool would be if I could hook my future Pandora up to a pair of HMD shades like these. I suppose they could be connected like a regular digital screen as long as Pandora's video drivers can output a 320x240 resolution (although I'm not that good with all the different kinds of cables). Anyone got an opinion on this?

Now, Pandora + (Q)VGA HMD + wireless game pad would be awesome. So far I've just seen sweet combos like that in cartoons and sci-fi movies.

Also, I've sniffed around the forums for a while, but I haven't really gotten it clear if you will be able to connect USB devices like game pads and HDDs to the Pandora. I'd be delighted if someone could be me a clear answer.

Thanks.

USB HDDs will work fine with the OTG USB port, gamepads and other devices it will depend on whether drivers are available for Linux (most gamepads/mice/keyboards should be able to use generic drivers fine).

Why would you want to downgrade the pandora's natural resolution - low res okay for some games but hamstringing for productive/wow stuff?

stuey said:
Why would you want to downgrade the pandora's natural resolution - low res okay for some games but hamstringing for productive/wow stuff?
Remember that if you use TV out, you can't output the full 800x480 either. 320x240 would be okay for almost everything the pandora will be able to emulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
have fun looking like a cyborg when your playing with those on the bus or planes and such
unless your at home where you should probably be playing on a tv
and if your walking around with these on, that's just plain wrong
but once they perfect the design and upgrade the resolution count me in :)

I actuallyhave a HMD.

Yeah, I know. Anyway, I don`t regret buyng it, even though it cost $700 an onlyplayed Half-Life 2 (+episodes and mods) on it. I really liked it, especially the stereovision. But there`s no way I`d let anyone see me wearing that stuff.

I can`t say I`d use one with the pandora, even in private. HMD`s are for immersion, the pandora is for 2D retrogames mostly.

Any particular reason you wouldn't use a VGA model? they're about $180 for the iGlasses line (have to admit, that's one of the better iNames I've run across) and they do 640x480 (too bad you can't get the full 800x480 out, they have models at that resolution too)

http://www.i-glassesstore.com/ by the way, though there are several companies with competing products.

The i-Glasses models start at $999. And the 640x480 capable ones start at $279. Please post a link to the specific ones that you are talking about if I am wrong.

I am wondering if it'd be possible to do something cleaver with these for VirtualBoy emulation. Not sure if that would be worth the $180/$280/$999 for the glasses, but it would be neat anyway.

you're right, the QVGA ones are about $180 and the VGA ones are about $280, I misread the site. (and for completeness the SVGA ones (called i-glasses) start at $999, I thought the whole line was collectively called i-glasses)

Depending on what you're doing, the QVGA (~$180) would probably be sufficient, and there's really no reason to get the really expensive ones (~$999) if you'll be using them with the pandora since they don't output a signal at that high resolution anyway (unless you took off the screen and replaced it with an interface for your glasses).

I think that if I were in the market for them at all I'd be looking at the VGA set, since twice the resolution (4x? whatever) seems like a pretty good upgrade for another hundred dollars.

I was actually eying (pun intended) the QVGA models for use with the gp2x, but my main use case at the time was on the bus, and I was nervous enough carting my gp2x around. (justifiably as it turns out, a guy tried to mug me to get the gp2x while I was waiting for the bus, but I got away)

I guess I've been out of the loop for a while. The last time I priced glasses like these they were thousands of dollars... but that was years ago.

and azmodean... Someone tried to mug you for your 2x??? Wow! (Did they even know what it was or was it just shiny?) Glad you got away tho.

mechanizeddeath said:
and azmodean... Someone tried to mug you for your 2x??? Wow! (Did they even know what it was or was it just shiny?) Glad you got away tho.
They never even saw it actually, just that I was wearing headphones, they probably thought it was an ipod :p
The thought crossed my mind to explain what it was so they would realize it would have no resale value for them, but then they might still want to take it for some reason, so I just took off.

On the plus side, I got to cross "getting chased through busy traffic at an intersection by a guy on a bicycle" off my list of "things to do before I die (hopefully not immediately before I die)"

Hypomanic said:
... hook my Pandora up to a pair of HMD shades like these...

The Pandora's OMAP 3530 generates a clean S-Video signal that should work beautifully with several visors, perhaps even the 3D stereo visors -- the ones that support Field Sequential (FS) stereoscopy.

Recent HMD visors support FS Stereoscopy and accept an S-Video signal, too.

The FS format grew popular with the shutter glasses crowd, and has since evolved into a defacto standard. There are now lots of FS DVDs out there for purchase, too.

The FS technique is simple enough that games could probably take advantage of it, too.
So long as the OMAP 3530 generates clean scanlines faithfully (unscaled) over the S-Video cable.

Enjoy some 3D Stereo gaming!

I just wanted to mention that there is a widescreen version of the iWear variety being launched soon, for ~$250:
http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_av310w.html

Also accepts S-Video, also does 3D (according to engadget, and some interpretation from their site).

I think that I might eventually pick a pair up. Looks like a lot of fun, hopefully there will be a way to do a real 3d virtualboy immersive experience.

I've been working on something similar at work - but our visors / eye pieces are clear - it's a hud, the resolution is svga but you can go to wxvga.

The virtual image is focussed about 3 or 4 meters in front of you.

It's way cool, but being clear the unit has to be pretty bright for use in daylight. :)

Interestingly we used a 2X as our as the base of our proof of concept.

saboteur said:
I've been working on something similar at work - but our visors / eye pieces are clear - it's a hud, the resolution is svga but you can go to wxvga.

It's way cool, but being clear the unit has to be pretty bright for use in daylight. :)

Can you say any more? like when it might be available? or a pricepoint? I'm thinking that I probably wouldn't want to spend more than $250~$300 for a pair. I'll probably end up getting a pair of something, not sure quite what.

emil10001 said:
saboteur said:

Can you say any more? like when it might be available? or a pricepoint? I'm thinking that I probably wouldn't want to spend more than $250~$300 for a pair. I'll probably end up getting a pair of something, not sure quite what.

It's not for sale to joe public - it's primarily for use by the military.

Back