Headphones? Good Deals Out There?

I've got some Creative earphones with microphone attachment, and they are not bad at all for the £2 they cost me. (I bought a X-FI card at the same time, and it was £2 extra for the headphones... Well, you'd be stupid not to :) )

Other than that, I like my Sony in-ear phones otherwise - cost about £10.

Shure ear buds ... they run around $100. What, you want to use crappy gear for your beautiful '2X? ;)

Shures if you want a smooth sound; Etymotics if you want a more analytical sound; Ultimate Ears (super.fi 5EB) if you want a really bass-heavy sound (For IEMs anyways...).

Keep in mind that these are in-ear monitors and not earphones/earbuds (a.k.a. "ibud" style).

TelcoLou - The sound quality on the GP2X is mediocre at best (Though what can you expect from a handheld?), so investing in high-end headphones probably won't yield the kind of results you'd expect with a good source. I personally don't bother for this reason, but if you must, then it might be worthwhile to check out some IEMs from the above manufacturers.

Shures are so lovely. I love my Shures to death. They're the cheapest kind, and yet the quality is so bloody wicked! They require you keep your ears clean too, so there's a bonus! Especially considering the widened ear-holes you'll have after using the Shures for a few days.

When I'm listening to music through my Shures and someone is talking right at me, I can see their mouths moving, but I can't hear a thing. And that's on medium volume settings. I'm not a fan of blowing out my eardrums (though the quality even at ear-bleeding volumes is really good). The beauty is that they can't hear that I'm listening to music, either! ^_^

Sennheiser HD 202 headphones are usually in the $20-25 range, and they're outstanding at that price. Some people say they squeeze your head too tight, but it's possible to loosen the headband by putting it over something slightly wider than your head (such as a book) and letting it sit there overnight. I never had a problem with the tightness though.

If you want cheap, comfortable earbuds with good sound, I reccomend the Sony h.ear model MDR-J10. They come in blue, pink, and black. However I only see the pink and black on Sony's site. You can get them at just about any store. I bought mine at Walmart for $9 US.

AdamK posted on Jul 28 2006 at 11:50 AM said:
Sennheiser HD 202 headphones are usually in the $20-25 range, and they're outstanding at that price. Some people say they squeeze your head too tight, but it's possible to loosen the headband by putting it over something slightly wider than your head (such as a book) and letting it sit there overnight. I never had a problem with the tightness though.
These are a good choice, but I'd recommend the HD201s instead. They can easily be had for $20 and should have more refined bass than the HD202s. The HD201s are highly regarded as being one of the greatest best bang for your buck headphones available (Next to the Koss KSC-75 and the Grado SR-60).

But again, the OP is looking for "earphones" (probably a portable solution), so I doubt the HD201s would be right.

What's your budget?

Last edited by a moderator:
Azure posted on Jul 28 2006 at 01:13 PM said:
TelcoLou - The sound quality on the GP2X is mediocre at best (Though what can you expect from a handheld?), so investing in high-end headphones probably won't yield the kind of results you'd expect with a good source.

True, but you can use them for other devices too. 'Tis a good investment ;)

Get some skullcandys they are really nice headphones. REALLY NICE! I have just about every pair and I would say the GI or the TI are the best. GI has more bass then TI but TI has a bit more clarity but not much bass. They are both good though.

Skullcandy's Site

ketchupgun posted on Jul 28 2006 at 08:05 AM said:
Can anyone vouch for a good set of earphones? There are so many deals on SD and Batteries posted.

Any good earphones with noise cancelling and volume control for cheap on the net that are tried tested and true?
Koss 30db suspension (they use an earplug and a tube to deliver the sound).

They are usually described as mostly comparable to the Shure and Sannheiser.

They are called "the plug" and they are noise-cancelling in that they cut 30DB of the exterior sound and offer perfect stereo suspension.

They are about $20 or so and are in stores, like circuit City or best buy etc.

Also, Koss has Spark Plugs, which I've found to be quite good. I bought mine for 20$ on eBay.

TelcoLou posted on Jul 28 2006 at 01:51 PM said:
Azure posted on Jul 28 2006 at 01:13 PM said:
TelcoLou - The sound quality on the GP2X is mediocre at best (Though what can you expect from a handheld?), so investing in high-end headphones probably won't yield the kind of results you'd expect with a good source.

True, but you can use them for other devices too. 'Tis a good investment ;)
Yeah, that is true. Be sure to use your new headphones with a good source and not just with the GP2X to get the most out of them.

I haven't heard the Skullcandy's, but I heard they were a POS and were cheaply built. I believe they use a ghetto vibration system to simulate excessive bass. They are really cheap though, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Sennheiser's my favourite brand when it comes to headphones. I've been using the HD 477 model headphones along with my GP2X and they're pretty good, 'cept for the fact that if you like to listen at loud volume like I do everyone around you will be able to hear.

Back