Hello N00b Here...

XtrackterX

Still Fresh
Hi, i'm kind of a n00b to Pandora, I know a lot about it but I have some questions.

Whats the next time they will be selling the Pandora's? I really kinda wanna know...

Whats the keyboard like? Is it easy to type with?

Please do not lock this topic...

March was the last official date.

also, no one knows about the keyboard, but it has a membrane so it means it is closer to mobile device keys than laptop/keyboard keys.

XtrackterX said:
Hi, i'm kind of a n00b to Pandora, I know a lot about it but I have some questions.

Whats the next time they will be selling the Pandora's? I really kinda wanna know...

Whats the keyboard like? Is it easy to type with?

Please do not lock this topic...
The pre-orders for the second batch start in December, I believe. As for the keyboard buttons, IIRC, they are supposed to feel like the gaming buttons.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at some shots of those psion devices cracked open and they seem to use a membrane based keypad with hard buttons on top (not that it is what the pandora has) but i found it interesting considering all the praise its users give to the keyboard design

cb88 said:
I was looking at some shots of those psion devices cracked open and they seem to use a membrane based keypad with hard buttons on top (not that it is what the pandora has) but i found it interesting considering all the praise its users give to the keyboard design
That's good for the psion because you can type on that keyboard like a normal keyboard, and it is meant to be used as a keyboard. The Pandora's keyboard keys, however, will need to be ready to be assigned as extra game buttons when you just don't have enough with the normal game buttons.

-God Ginrai

cb88 said:
I was looking at some shots of those psion devices cracked open and they seem to use a membrane based keypad with hard buttons on top
Pretty much all keyboards use a rubber membrane with hard keys on top. The one thing that full size keyboards (and the Psion) add to the mix is a sort of scissor-hinge under each key to keep it attached to the board, as well as ensure that the keys can only move vertically. The Pandora keys are going to be more like the keys on a calculator. Only hopefully with less travel.

cb88 said:
Psions (with the possible exception of the series 3xx, I never opened one of those) don't have membrane keyboards; they have a "deckchair" mechanism under every key, resulting in a very pleasant keyboard action, especially on the more roomy Series7/Netbook. See here (second picture on the right).

God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai
Do you have any idea that your sig takes up an entire screen of my monitor?

Senor Quack said:
God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai
Do you have any idea that your sig takes up an entire screen of my monitor?

These nested signatures and signed posts are indeed getting out of control. We know who you are - we can see your username and icon already attached to the post!

PoisonedV said:

also, no one knows about the keyboard, but it has a membrane so it means it is closer to mobile device keys than laptop/keyboard keys.
March!?

seriously, the Pandora team NEED to learn something about marketing. nobody is going to listen if i tell them of the Pandora but have to tell them i'll be getting mine in 4 weeks, but they'd have to wait FIVE FRIGGIN MONTHS to get one. no way. get a STEADY SUPPLY. like the gp2x has for years and Wiz will. when it's released, it should be RELEASED, damnit!

CC_machine said:
PoisonedV said:

March!?

seriously, the Pandora team NEED to learn something about marketing. nobody is going to listen if i tell them of the Pandora but have to tell them i'll be getting mine in 4 weeks, but they'd have to wait FIVE FRIGGIN MONTHS to get one. no way. get a STEADY SUPPLY. like the gp2x has for years and Wiz will. when it's released, it should be RELEASED, damnit!

Thank God you are here! Now we know. Thanks for taking the time to actually tell us this!

I am being sarcastic. Very, veeeerrry sarcastic.

CC_machine said:
PoisonedV said:

March!?

So you have to ask why they said December orders for March delivery;
  1. Because they want to iron out any bugs before mass production;
  2. Because they can't be arsed until after Christmas;
  3. Because they want to build stock;
  4. Because they want to set up the distribution network;
  5. Because its a major scam: they are going to deliver the first batch, then take 20,000 orders and disappear.
I'm going for 2 and 5. They're going to wait until after Christmas by which time they will be able to buy Iceland.

Actually I'm going for a combination of the others: They don't want to take mass orders until there are devices in the wild and they can't take the sales for the next round so they are setting up distribution.

Maybe they have also learned not to promise something and not deliver, so they are playing safe. I believe the manufacturing capability is 5000 per month,

Still, it would seem to be better if they could start delivering the next batch mid January and then just keep trickling them out.

Back