Help Tincs Choose Its Art Direction!

Choose your favourite one (Make sure you read bellow before choosing!)

• Art Direction #1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Art Direction #2

• Art Direction #3

• Art Direction #4

• Total voters

Yes, I agree, choosing a great example of a game and then a horrible example of another is wrong. You have a very selective vision there.

Kekerot said:
Sorry but going from this
What's sad is that you base the depth of a game around the style of graphics. Also that you seem to be implying that TF2 was a step backward. I happen to like the graphics of TF2. It was made a lot more organic, more realistic feeling over TFC. I look at a brick wall in TFC and think "that looks like a wall with some faux brick wallpaper". I look at a brick wall in TF2 and think "that almost looks like a brick wall".

Last edited by a moderator:
'WizardStan' said:
'Kekerot' said:
What's sad is that you base the depth of a game around the style of graphics. Also that you seem to be implying that TF2 was a step backward. I happen to like the graphics of TF2. It was made a lot more organic, more realistic feeling over TFC. I look at a brick wall in TFC and think "that looks like a wall with some faux brick wallpaper". I look at a brick wall in TF2 and think "that almost looks like a brick wall".
lolwut the videos were to show the style of gameplay not the graphics. TFC was fast paced and had a large learning curve while TF2 is snail paced with easymode gameplay. Anyways enough of this.

'Kekerot' said:
'WizardStan' said:
'Kekerot' said:
lolwut the videos were to show the style of gameplay not the graphics. TFC was fast paced and had a large learning curve while TF2 is snail paced with easymode gameplay. Anyways enough of this.

False assumption - there's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you could tell that from the videos.

And yes, enough derailing the topic. This is not about TFC vs. TF2, this is about TINCS and it's art direction (and name too, I suppose).

I actually like the name TINCS, I wouldn't mind keeping it. :D

Kekerot said:

Sorry, I didn't get that from your post. All I saw were two videos with no explanation. Put together with your previous messages about your opinion of the graphics, I think it"s pretty easy to see the confusion.
With your new post in mind, I say "wut?" The first video is almost nothing but short clips of trick jumps, while the second video is long clips of actual gameplay. They don't compare at all. To better compare to TFC from your first video, something like www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQ1kt1ote0 would be preferable. At least then you're comparing trick jumps to trick jumps, which compare quite favorably if you ask me. You're going to need to find some better arguments if you want to sway me to your belief.

'Vorporeal' said:
And yes, enough derailing the topic. This is not about TFC vs. TF2, this is about TINCS and it's art direction (and name too, I suppose).

It's about the style: TFC is like #2, TF2 is like #1. That's where the debate is stemming from, I believe. We can argue the merits of two theoretical styles all day and get nowhere, but if we have two concrete examples of an eventual design we might actually get somewhere.

Wow this vote vs opinions posted really is a telling figure.

Guys dont be too worried that number 2 has been tried too often, one thing i am going to do is try to push as far away from cliches as i can, and do something interesting with the style (there will be no random sci-fi environments). Hear, it wont be a brown grungy world as that isnt what we are aiming for. Also this vote is for the overall art style, what we are doing will evolve a lot as we go, but just remember the question "is it fun" is still the biggest one.

I just want to make clear that one of my objectives is to try and push as much graphical quality out the door for our given platform.

Thanks guys for voting, and i promise not to disappoint.

^^ Yup. This isn't set in stone. This is just choosing a general look we're going to take. We're going to move from here, working with you guys to create content, if something looks bad and we get a large uproar about it, well, we're going to take it out.

The matter stands, that the number of people saying they think the vote should be retaken, or they want to change their vote, is smaller than the amount #2 is winning by.

I still think a combination of style #2 and #4 would complement the game. Kind of the "outsiders" living in a steampunk village (#4) outside walls of the highly advanced city (#2). Perhaps the two would live in harmony for a while and then the relationship degrades or they just never really get along. After all, human beings will always seek superiority over another. Its human instinct to conquer and dominate.

I'm going to close this when I wake up in about 6 hours. Until then, vote your hearts out.

Also, GIEF NAME IDEAS NAO

how would we do that without knowing the style will be? (ok, well, i guess its not hard too guess) how about Blood and Steel or Steel blood

Wait!! Stop the press, I have a new art direction.
I'll let my picture do the talking...
CODE
http://zombies.weirdburrito.com/images/users/PoisonedV/pitch.gif

Name idea: Arma <of> Iniuria

I don't know latin, so I don't know if thats the right case or what the word for "of" is, but it should be "Weapons of Injustice"

Oh God PoisonedV, you're my favorite person for the rest of the week.

Back on topic, I voted #4 because I want to freaking kill someone with that revolver musket.

Oh blast, Falcon.

Until you edited I though I was awesome.

Afraid not :(

I'd love to see a well done Dystopia as promised in #2. There are dangers of it becoming generic etc. but it can also be very unique.
I also love steampunk although I prefer the realistic stuff to the anime variety. Combining #2 with #4 technology sounds like an interesting deal. Or maybe even have an electricity faction and a steam faction?

'PoisonedV' said:
how would we do that without knowing the style will be? (ok, well, i guess its not hard too guess) how about Blood and Steel or Steel blood

Wait!! Stop the press, I have a new art direction.
I'll let my picture do the talking...
CODE
http://zombies.weirdburrito.com/images/users/PoisonedV/pitch.gif
Why the shit didn't we think of this before?!?!

TINH. TINH Is Not Halo.

I'm organizing a huge reshuffle so we can get maximum Halo in. I've got to change all of my vertex shaders and add in epic win!

[/lulze]

I think we know whats won here. Unless something crazy happens in the next few hours before I close it up.

On second thought, that was a bad idea, ninja monkey is going to come in the thread and be like.

"I TOLD U HALO WAS A GOOD IDEA, ALSO MAKE SURE U ACTIVATE THE "EPIC MASTACHIEF" UNIFORM VARIABLE IN YOUR SHADERS!"

'Muzz' said:
Wow this vote vs opinions posted really is a telling figure.

Guys dont be too worried that number 2 has been tried too often, one thing i am going to do is try to push as far away from cliches as i can, and do something interesting with the style (there will be no random sci-fi environments). Hear, it wont be a brown grungy world as that isnt what we are aiming for. Also this vote is for the overall art style, what we are doing will evolve a lot as we go, but just remember the question "is it fun" is still the biggest one.

I just want to make clear that one of my objectives is to try and push as much graphical quality out the door for our given platform.

Thanks guys for voting, and i promise not to disappoint.
muzz, could i ask what you meant in your pitch about a mixture of old and new architectural aesthetics? judging from your render your mixing dated 50s/60s american cityscape with future-utopian greyshades. moving away from sci-fi environments is one thing, but is your approach to capture a worn/torn visual look of now?

the follow examples are modern architecture, and adding the grime and decay would be very interesting:

streetscape
shade structure
mobile gallery
corridors

i'd like to pick your brain as it seems your art style is gonna win, and i've already been working on a level i want to visually adapt.

'Gautama' said:
I don't know latin
Oh, don't worry about that, everybody else does, they'll see what you were going for. How's about "armes de prétention" ;)

Back