Help With Slow Wifi On New Laptop?

Orion4874

Mega GP Mania
I just purchased a new Toshiba laptop and while it has wireless n it is incredibly slow. I also have an iPad and my wife has a laptop with wireless g and they both are way faster. The laptop is almost unusable with wifi as I usually get the could not connect error screen or when it does manage to connect it takes forever. I use a Linksys wireless n router if that matters. I've done some searching and the closest thing I found to my problem was a person with a different laptop but he was using a Linksys router as well and had to shut down the n receiver on his laptop and use the a,b,or g and the problem went away. It was some kind of conflict with the router so I'm wondering if I should do this. Or should I contact the store I purchased the laptop to see what they say? The only thing there is I really don't think anything's really wrong with the laptop itself. I'm even thinking about buying a different brand of router but there's no guarantee that's the problem.
I've never tried anything like that with a network card, does anyone know how to shut down just the n reciever and leave the others on?

Orion4874 said:
I just purchased a new Toshiba laptop and while it has wireless n it is incredibly slow. I also have an iPad and my wife has a laptop with wireless g and they both are way faster. The laptop is almost unusable with wifi as I usually get the could not connect error screen or when it does manage to connect it takes forever. I use a Linksys wireless n router if that matters. I've done some searching and the closest thing I found to my problem was a person with a different laptop but he was using a Linksys router as well and had to shut down the n and use the a,b,or g and the problem went away. It was some kind of conflict with the router so I'm wondering if I should do this. Or should I contact the store I purchased the laptop to see what they say? The only thing there is I really don't think anything's really wrong with the laptop itself. I'm even thinking about buying a different brand of router but there's no guarantee that's the problem.
I've never tried anything like that with a network card, does anyone know how to shut down just the n reciever and leave the others on?
It's not a matter of shutting down a receiver (well, maybe, if the N wireless is using 5.8 GHz), but there are a lot of things you could try - if you want to force wireless-G, you can do it on the router. How you do it would depend on your router's software. You could probably do it on your laptop too, but I don't know how Windows handles that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom` said:
Orion4874 said:
I just purchased a new Toshiba laptop and while it has wireless n it is incredibly slow. I also have an iPad and my wife has a laptop with wireless g and they both are way faster. The laptop is almost unusable with wifi as I usually get the could not connect error screen or when it does manage to connect it takes forever. I use a Linksys wireless n router if that matters. I've done some searching and the closest thing I found to my problem was a person with a different laptop but he was using a Linksys router as well and had to shut down the n and use the a,b,or g and the problem went away. It was some kind of conflict with the router so I'm wondering if I should do this. Or should I contact the store I purchased the laptop to see what they say? The only thing there is I really don't think anything's really wrong with the laptop itself. I'm even thinking about buying a different brand of router but there's no guarantee that's the problem.
It's not a matter of shutting down a receiver (well, maybe, if the N wireless is using 5.8 GHz), but there are a lot of things you could try - if you want to force wireless-G, you can do it on the router. How you do it would depend on your router's software. You could probably do it on your laptop too, but I don't know how Windows handles that.
Sorry, I should have specified that he shut it off in his laptop not the router.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm saying is, IMO if it's a problem with wireless N (I don't have any N devices personally, so I don't know about problems - could it be that a lot of the N hardware is "draft-N" and doesn't meet the final specification?) it would be better to address it on the router's side. I don't know what to do about the laptop, since I don't use Windows.

Back