Here Is Your Openpandora, Psp, Viliv, Nokia N900, Nokia N810, Archos 5

Here is a really nice UMPC from the Korean maker Ocosmos. The thing is called an Ocs1. The thing will be released next year when the new Intel Atom Oaktrail is finalized. I here this thing could potentially be 400-500 dollars. The only real deal breaker for me is the usage of a capacitive touchscreen, of course the hardware isn't finalized so that could change before it is released.
Here is a small hands on with the device Ocosmos Ocs1 Hands On
Keynote From Intel Ceo About Ocosmos Ocs1
Here is the folks at Ocosmos Smashing an iPad, Ocs1 vs iPad
The device has two dpads called Omos keys which can be mapped to the keyboard and it has two shoulder buttons. Specs are pretty awesome as well.
Processor: Intel Atom Oaktrail. The new Oaktrail processor is 32nm instead of 45nm of previous atom processors, so this should have much better battery life than previous UMPCS
Ram: 1gb with 2gb ram upgrade options
Storage: 32gb plus microsd expansion, they will also offer 64gb options too
Operating System: Windows 7 Starter
GPU: Intel GMA 600
Screen: 4.8 inch 1024x600 capacitive touchscreen
Camera: 1.3mp camera on the front and 3.0pmp camera on the back
connectivity: Wifi 802.11b/g, GPS, USB 2.0 host port, Mini USB port
I think this thing is awesome. I also canceled my order on a Archos 43 and sold my Nokia n810, so I will be in the market for a UMPC and this might be the one.
9-13-10-ocosmos-009.jpg

9-13-10-ocosmos-011.jpg

What do you guys think of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to say it but we already saw this thing. Sure looks good, but its not so hot in the graphics department ..

torpor said:
Hate to say it but we already saw this thing. Sure looks good, but its not so hot in the graphics department ..
It has a GMA 600 graphics which are much better than the GMA 500 graphics found in Viliv devices for years.

linuxftw said:
torpor said:
It has a GMA 600 graphics which are much better than the GMA 500 graphics found in Viliv devices for years.

Graphics are certainly good enough for emulation - one of it's big plusses is that 'out-of-the-box' it can run a whole world full of mature, well established emulators, and the slightly higher resolution should help overcome problems displaying things like Amiga overscan modes.

As mentioned in the original thread though, the fact that it's got HDMI out is a huge draw for HD media playback - and decent lag-free imagery from emulators on modern screens.

They've been quiet since it was first announced though, so it could realistically still be some months away.

Asmo said:
linuxftw said:
torpor said:

Graphics are certainly good enough for emulation - one of it's big plusses is that 'out-of-the-box' it can run a whole world full of mature, well established emulators, and the slightly higher resolution should help overcome problems displaying things like Amiga overscan modes.

As mentioned in the original thread though, the fact that it's got HDMI out is a huge draw for HD media playback - and decent lag-free imagery from emulators on modern screens.

They've been quiet since it was first announced though, so it could realistically still be some months away.
I agree HDMI is a selling point. My only problem with the GMA 600 is the fact that its drivers are proprietary and makes installing other operating systems a pain. Bear in mind the old Viliv n5 was capable of running Halo, World of Warcraft, Sid Meier's Railroad's, Sid Meier's Pirates, and Civilization 4 without problems. So your not going to run newer games, but you can run older ones just fine. Of course they Ocosmos hasn't released this thing because the Atom Oaktrail isn't on the market yet. You can't release a product with a processor that isn't on the market. This thing would also be great in my opinion for PSX and Dreamcast emulation on the go. I want one even more every time I here about. I don't understand there decision to go with a capacitive screen, because you can't really control a desktop OS with your fingers. Also the processor of the new oaktrail platform is 32nm instead of 45nm so this should get pretty decent battery compared to UMPC's of the past.

It looks pretty neat, though the Omos keys don't look that good for gaming. Better than nothing though, I'm sure.

Reo said:
It looks pretty neat, though the Omos keys don't look that good for gaming. Better than nothing though, I'm sure.

They don't look great, but they are actually analog nubs which also have D-Pad functionality -

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...held-anounced/page__view__findpost__p__918390

If they don't mess it up, the controls could be awesome. Same finger could be used to simulate mouse movement, and inventory/weapon change and so on. First reviews eagerly awaited!

Reo said:
The keys may not be as good as the ones on the Pandora, but the sure a heck of a lot better than the one on the GP2X Wiz. What excites me about this is I would very easily be able to install my favorite operating system. I also like the addition of USB ports, hdmi, Webcam, and keyboard.

I don't know, I don't want to sound biased but I think I am through with gadgets from Asia. From now on the device has to be developed in Europe or the US, that is just how it is for me from now on. Look at the iPhone or the Android OS, that is how things are supposed to be, not cheap looking with funny buttons like this device. I'm also thinking that Microsoft has lost in the battle to be installed on devices this size, windows mobile 7 will not save them, if Google or Apple don't put the OS out then I'm not going to even touch it. I'll always look at straight up Linux devices though, like the Pandora, simply because I like Linux, but nothing from outside Linux, Google, or Apple for me.

EDIT: Oops, forgot Nintendo, they always make fun things for play.

Just a personal opinion:

The Dpad-Analog mixed controls look like they are going to fail horribly.
The keyboard seems to be hard to access with thumbs.
Small battery life.
Potential steep price.

Those things basically kill this for me.

Cloudef said:
Just a personal opinion:

The Dpad-Analog mixed controls look like they are going to fail horribly.
The keyboard seems to be hard to access with thumbs.
Small battery life.
Potential steep price.

Those things basically kill this for me.
I will agree the game controls do suck. We don't know what the battery life is, also consider this is running on a 32nm Intel Atom, while other umpcs like the ones from Viliv and UMID are running on a 45nm Intel atom, so there should be a huge battery life increase. The keyboard doesn't look too bad, but it could be better. We don't know what the price is either. Also it will be around probably be around 400-500 dollars which is the same price as most smartphones. Also consider this you can already get a UMPC for around the same price as a smartphone, sometimes cheaper and you get a computer running Windows or Linux, not a locked down smartphone OS. I personally want something like this because of it's hackability and openess. You cant say that a device is going to suck when there it hasn't hit the market. Wait for it to be released then give your final judgment. The real dealbreaker for me is the capacitive touchscreen.

Goity said:
As always, hour long battery life, not powerful enough.
Well the Viliv n5 can already get 6 hours of battery, and the new processor is 32nm instead of 45nm.

Dpad looks terrible.

But could be great for touchscreen-controlled portable Diablo II and Heroes of Might&Magic 3.

No Pandora replacement, but a nice phone for portable Windows-stuff.

I'd rather have the Eking M5.

Here it is...

6a00d83451c9ec69e20133f32cb72c970b-800wi

6a00d83451c9ec69e20134865150a0970c-800wi

6a00d83451c9ec69e20133f32dca8d970b-800wi

It has a 5-inch screen, which is a high quality WSVGA (1024x600) LED backlit LCD sourced from Sharp, with a capacitive touch panel supporting multi-touch. Other specs include a 1.2GHz Intel Atom Z515 processor on the Menlow platform, 1GB DDR2 RAM, a 16GB SSD, support for Windows XP/Vista/7, b/g WiFi, Bluetooth, and 3G connectivity (voice and data), GPS, and a 3MP camera. Including the 2600mAh battery, the M5 weighs a reasonable 15.45 ounces, although one unknown bit of information is the actual battery life. The package comes with a comprehensive range of accessories including an extra battery, video output cable, VGA cable, USB cable, headset, and a leather case.

Processor: Intel Atom Z515 (1.2GHz)
Chipset: Intel US15W
Graphics: Intel GMA 500
RAM: 1GB DDR2
Hard Drive: 16GB SSD
Screen: 5 Inch 1024 x 600
Camera: 3 Mega pixel
Wi-Fi 802.11b / g
3G Network
Ethernet

john4p said:
No Pandora replacement, but a nice phone for portable Windows-stuff.

It isn't a phone! They have said they are in talks with various networks to produce such a variant at some point though.

Regarding battery life, they also said it was aiming for 'around 10 hours' (sound familiar?).

I like that it's Windows; not being an OS expert, a Windows system saves me worrying about compatibility issues, workarounds, downloading the right programmes, plugging it into my laptop to do stuff, etc.

The lack of XABY buttons is kind of annoying though. And for that price and size I'd really want 3G capability, personally. At the moment it kind of looks like half a smartphone. If the battery life turns out to be good it might be worth it though.

Back