Heretic2x Released

Hi @ all,
Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate. I knew that a control setup would be necessary, but didn't want to let you wait until I finished it. Now everything seems fine and hopefully a new version with a keymapping file will be released yet today (otherwise tomorrow). As far as the "widescreen" is concerned, I must admit that the drawing code is beyond my understanding at the moment and I didn't get very far with my attempts. On the other hand I don't think it is a great issue, since still 83,3% of the screen are used. IMHO the effort/effect ratio of a rewrite is very low. But since this is my personal view, I encourage those who don't like it to get my source code and try to implement it. It will be released as soon as I managed to implement music playback or failed doing so.

Regards, HEP

By the way, does Hexen also use 320x200 resolution, with scaling? Because it looks very bad next to Heretic, but is fullscreen... I thought they both used Doom's engine?

Also, is it possible to set gamma in those games? both are awfully dark, and I don't play them because of that :(

By the way, does Hexen also use 320x200 resolution, with scaling? Because it looks very bad next to Heretic, but is fullscreen... I thought they both used Doom's engine?

Also, is it possible to set gamma in those games? both are awfully dark, and I don't play them because of that :(
Probably Hexen just stretches the picture to get it to fullscreen. This way the ratio is false and the image loses sharpness because of the interpolation algorithm.
Gamma correction was originally (on PC) possible with the F11 key. In version 0.3, which will probably be released tomorrow, you can map it to a button of your choice using the configuration file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'd like to thank HEP for this wonderful Port! This game and Descent 1 were the first games I bought when I got my first PC and were great for hours and hours of fun. I'm gratified that he's including a button configuration ability, but speaking as one who last had to play with a keyboard I think his button assignments were and are extremely good. I've been playing this non stop since he released it, and all I can say is a resounding,

THANK YOU! :D

Excellent work!

It shouldn't be that difficult (but what do I know?) to get the engine to use the full 320x240 resolution, because, for example, PrBoom for GP2X does this. PrBoom stretches the status bar, though, I'm sure it would look a lot better if that "feature" could be turned off...

It shouldn't be that difficult (but what do I know?) to get the engine to use the full 320x240 resolution, because, for example, PrBoom for GP2X does this. PrBoom stretches the status bar, though, I'm sure it would look a lot better if that "feature" could be turned off...
You were right: Once I found it, it was quite easy. Therefore I proudly announce: Version 0.4 will use the full screen. I only need to ask someone to update it in the archive and the fun can start. Happy playing!

Why is it in letterboxed widescreen? Part of porting a game to a handheld is properly utilizing 100% of its screen.

Best you get on with it then!

So we're not allowed to criticize something unless we, personally, can do better?

Better not criticize the government. After all, what do I know about governing a country?
Better not criticize my doctor for sewing a scalpel into me. What do I know about surgery?
Better not criticize NASA for letting the shuttle explode. I'm no shuttle engineer myself, after all!

I hope you realize how retarded that rule is.

Well, thank you for taking the time to create a decent port of this game. I hope to see more ports of classic computer games from you in the near future.

You were right: Once I found it, it was quite easy. Therefore I proudly announce: Version 0.4 will use the full screen. I only need to ask someone to update it in the archive and the fun can start. Happy playing!

One request. If you are going to scale it please have an option to leave it unscaled and 1:1 resolution. The tiny bars don't look nearly as bad as un-even pixel stretching. Scaling makes things look extra blocky and makes text look bad.

One request. If you are going to scale it please have an option to leave it unscaled and 1:1 resolution. The tiny bars don't look nearly as bad as un-even pixel stretching. Scaling makes things look extra blocky and makes text look bad.
No need to be concerned. I didn't stretch the picture, but made the viewport bigger. The image quality is as good as before. BTW: The updated file is uploaded and you only have to wait for the admin to activate it.

Nice one!
I've just spend one hour playing heretic v0.4.
I can confirm it's great fun, it's even the first gp2x software I've used for more than just a few minutes :)

This is excellent work you've done here HEP, thanks a lot! I never did play Heretic all that much, this just the excuse I was looking for :)

- Alex

Thanks HEP this looks great. The button config and full screen are great. It is pretty much perfect now.

Thanks for the great work :)

Thanks very much for this release.

Is saving supported? I couldn't see if there was a way to map F2 and F3 (save keys).

Back