Heroes Of Might And Magic Iii Possible?

RotsiserMho

Still Fresh
Hi all! I'm a big fan of the Heroes Of Might and Magic games and I'm wondering how feasible it is to get the Linux port of HOMM3 working on the Pandora? I understand it's likely to be difficult, but since a Linux port already exists it should at least be possible right? Or would doing so require access to the source code? I don't quite know how old ports of games work under Linux.

I'd be willing to work on this myself if I knew it were possible.

Thanks!

Rotsiser Mho said:
Hi all! I'm a big fan of the Heroes Of Might and Magic games and I'm wondering how feasible it is to get the Linux port of HOMM3 working on the Pandora? I understand it's likely to be difficult, but since a Linux port already exists it should at least be possible right? Or would doing so require access to the source code? I don't quite know how old ports of games work under Linux.

I'd be willing to work on this myself if I knew it were possible.

Thanks!
no source=no chance.

next topic!

edit: i dont blame ya for asking things like this. im also a big newbie even if i have 1000 posts :p

Last edited by a moderator:
HOMM2 may be possible using this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fheroes2/ - HOMM3 is not possible.

OK, based on the replies so far, that's kind of what I figured. I'll have to check out Wesnoth though. How about other options? Is it possible under emulation? I'm not familiar with how QEMU works or what the speed would be like (as the game requires a Pentium 133), but is it at least possible? I also saw a thread about a recompiled Warcraft II running on the Pandora. Could the same principle be applied here? I'm not one to give up so easily ;) .

fischju2000 said:
HOMM2 may be possible using this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fheroes2/ - HOMM3 is not possible.
StreaK said:
We have HOMM2 for Pandora, thanks to Pickle. App is called FHeroes2 and you can find YouTube vids with fh2 on Panda's ..
I've never played 2 but my brother has a copy, I'll have to borrow it form him when I get my Pandora.

Kloplop321 said:
I still have HMM2 and HMM1. I like both.
They are great games for sure!

The youtube video of Pandora running Heroes 2 is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63QftOyxEYI

Rotsiser Mho said:
OK, based on the replies so far, that's kind of what I figured. I'll have to check out Wesnoth though. How about other options? Is it possible under emulation? I'm not familiar with how QEMU works or what the speed would be like (as the game requires a Pentium 133), but is it at least possible? I also saw a thread about a recompiled Warcraft II running on the Pandora. Could the same principle be applied here? I'm not one to give up so easily ;) .
I doubt it would be possible
A source code port would be better

Now that remember, I played HOMM3 hotseat with a friend a long time ago.

I don't remember exactly, but to me the game's combat seemed a bit too simplified, even repetitive. It had more to do with what sweet bonuses you found around the map, rather than about combat tactics. I guess exploring the map and upgrading the castles and stuff was ok, it just didn't provide enough depth to the game.

Wesnoth is quite the opposite. Campaigns have one or another bonus item around. But the real value of the game lies in combat. 'Zone of Control' (ZoC), unit resistances/weaknesses, terrain defense, ranged/melee attacks (ranged has a different meaning here), weapon specials, unit abilities/traits, etc. There is just so many aspects that it's hard to fully master the intricacies of combat in Wesnoth.

And that's a good thing, even after a large number of multiplayer battles (where skill is really put to the test) there are many new tactics/strategies to learn and discover.

Besides, Wesnoth has one faction that consists nearly all of dragon-like creatures (Drakes). What else could you possibly want? :)

Rotsiser Mho said:
Warcraft 2 was a static recompile, and required a lot of work. M-HT could be more concise, but assume it won't happen that way.
There is a slim chance that QEMU could be setup to run x86 Linux binaries, but that will be some time down the road.
Short answer: it could happen, but don't base your decisions on whether it will or not.

second exodous said:
Warcraft 2 should be playable through Dosbox, it is on the Nokia 810.
There's a native WarCraft2 for Linux (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wargus).

Vitel said:
second exodous said:
Warcraft 2 should be playable through Dosbox, it is on the Nokia 810.
There's a native WarCraft2 for Linux (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wargus).
Well, that's a game interpreter like the GemRB is for Bioware's Infinity Engine, or Baldur's Gate among others.

In WC2's case since you can emulate it it's closer to the original. But I'll give Wargus a try none the less.

WizardStan said:
Warcraft 2 was a static recompile, and required a lot of work. M-HT could be more concise, but assume it won't happen that way.
There is a slim chance that QEMU could be setup to run x86 Linux binaries, but that will be some time down the road.
Short answer: it could happen, but don't base your decisions on whether it will or not.

Do you have more information on the Warcraft II recompile? HOMM3 was also released for Windows and Mac, so those are two more options for QEMU. Does that make the prospects any brighter? Which is the fastest to emulate?

Rotsiser Mho said:
Do you have more information on the Warcraft II recompile? HOMM3 was also released for Windows and Mac, so those are two more options for QEMU. Does that make the prospects any brighter? Which is the fastest to emulate?
What kind of information? M-HT took the Warcraft II binary, did a lot of work on it, and turned it into something compatible with ARM. It was not easy, and won't work for many many programs.
And emulating linux would definitely be much easier than a windows machine. I'm pretty sure QEMU can already do that (called "user mode emulation"), it's just a matter of setting it up correctly, but even that isn't guaranteed to work. Even if it did work, it may not be fast enough to handle HoMM3

Back