hex clock speed

angrypants

GP OG
Hey I was just wondering if it would be possible to hex edit the current version of snes9xgp in order to boost the clock speed. I have looked around and can't find anything that referes to the clock speed of the emulator. I would be more than willing to mess around with this if someone can tellk me what part of the file to look at. All I have been able to do so far that has been any use is just to get it to look in a directory for roms rather than in the gpmm folder.

If snes9x is a compressed fxe you probably will need to uncompress it first. You will need to find where it sets the cpu speed and alter it, someone making a tool to do this would be a bit more easy i think. It is possible with a hex editor though, i suppose you would have to look for the cpu speed (132000000 etc. in hex obviously) and alter it and its other 2 parts. Probably a bit hard to do if you are not used to things.

If i were you i'd look at clocking maybe snesemu instead - its faster.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

well I was thinking of playing with snes9xgp a bit insted of snesemu because it has sound and other nice options like save support and stuff. Its slow but if it were sped up alittle then with the frame skip and sound on it might really be worth playing. Snesemu while faster and a very nice emulator has no sound/save so I dunno if I feel like messing with it. I know the next version of snes9xgp is coming some time and it will be faster and what not but I just like messing with stuff and if I can figure out how to over clock this one then we get a new even faster version which I can over clock then that would be great. I hope intelico continues to work on his emulator it is really nice and has such potential to be even better. If he would add a clock speed slection on top of the optimizations he is making it would be great. Also it would be great if he would add some other options like some pc emulators have where you can turn on and off some of the layers of animation then I would figure that that would speed things up as well. I dunno if it would be worth it but I'm just thinking of anything that might squeeze a little more speed out of this thing.

Maybe we should just ask the author of snes9xgp to put an extra option in the menu to select clock speed, gpengine stylee?

I might do that now myself, seeing as I just thought of it ;)

It wont happen. Do you know how many authors get bugged for people demanding them to put in certain options. If your lucky, your email will get moved to the trash bin instead of deleted. Your best bet would be to hex edit it.

Well, although you may be right, I hope ur not...

I get lots of mail about GPSmack and I always answer every one.

Maybe I'm just underestimating how much mail he gets... ;)

What a nice man! He did reply :)

Although what he said was only this:

"Why send a gp32 to 166mhz if its just going to fry and melt it... I don't
think anyone wants hot plastic in their hands :)"

Well, I don't have a problem running at 166 myself... maybe he's just confident that the next version will fast enough at 133...lets hope :)

Did you give him the link to craig's overclocking experiment on gp32emu.com? Or explain that it shouldn't melt the GP32?

He should also know that just the idea of a SNES emu WITH sound would really increase the sales of the GP32. A lot of potentional buyers ask about the SNES emu. The last WIP was 100% speed without sound, and something like 80% speed on frameskip 3 with sound. I think even 156MHz might be able to kick it up to 100% speed with sound.

I think he wants to make sure that it wont hurt any1's gp32 cause altho the gp32 didnt die in craigx tests it really want long enough cause the rumour i jhear about the LCD screen being fryed was it being run at 166mhz for months thats what i hear atleast nothing about it wrecking the gp32 stright away

:ph34r:

Back