Hhexen Doesn't Load

Lanboy

Still Fresh
It's been a great weekend for my Wiz - got Duke Nuke'em, Commander Keen and Heretic running. Hexen, however, freezes at the loading screen.

The WAD file is good - I can play the game.

Anyone else have this issue? There is no log file generated, so I'm not sure where to start...

Actually, I think the wad file has to be in the same folder as the cfg file. At least that's what worked for me since I first put it with the gpe file and it didn't work. So try that and see if it works. If not, it's probably a bad wad file.

Lanboy said:
It's been a great weekend for my Wiz - got Duke Nuke'em, Commander Keen and Heretic running. Hexen, however, freezes at the loading screen.

The WAD file is good - I can play the game.

Anyone else have this issue? There is no log file generated, so I'm not sure where to start...

I could run Hexen in my wiz.
I put the WAD file in same folder of .gpe file.

My WAD file's size was 19.1MB (20,083,672 byte). Please check this again and find another WAD file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orion4874 said:
Actually, I think the wad file has to be in the same folder as the cfg file. At least that's what worked for me since I first put it with the gpe file and it didn't work. So try that and see if it works. If not, it's probably a bad wad file.
My gpe is in the same folder as the cfg file.

Mine runs fine, the wad is named HEXEN.WAD (in capitals) it's size is 19.1 MB / 19,613 KB / 20,083,672 bytes and it's in the hhexen folder alongside the hhexen.gpe, the hhexen-sdl file, the timidity.cfg & the .hhexen folder.

Edit: This also works in lower case also (hexen.wad) :)

Thanks for the help guys, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I can play Hexen from the DOS prompt, so I know the WAD works. I obtained it directly from ID Software, so it should be a good copy of the game.

I've tried it with the WAD in the same folder as the .gpe and in the .hhexen folder - same issue. No logs, so it's hard to troubleshoot.

Tried unzipping and re-copying the hhexen files to the SD, but that didn't resolve the issue.

Lanboy said:

I can play Hexen from the DOS prompt, so I know the WAD works. I obtained it directly from ID Software, so it should be a good copy of the game.

I've tried it with the WAD in the same folder as the .gpe and in the .hhexen folder - same issue. No logs, so it's hard to troubleshoot.

Tried unzipping and re-copying the hhexen files to the SD, but that didn't resolve the issue.

is the wad file name lower case?

Pickle said:
Lanboy said:

I tried bother lower and upper case and the problem is the same. Also tried the demo and still it won't load.

Regards

André

fettouhi said:
Pickle said:
Lanboy said:

I tried bother lower and upper case and the problem is the same. Also tried the demo and still it won't load.

Regards

André

Maybe its not the wad but exe, try recopying the files in the zip to your card

edit: i missed you said that you did that already.

edit 2:
Prereqs

There exist several versions of the hexen.wad file:

1.0 wads:
b2543a03521365261d0a0f74d5dd90f0 hexen.wad (20,128,392 bytes)
1077432e2690d390c256ac908b5f4efa hexdd.wad ( 4,429,700 bytes)

1.1 wads:
abb033caf81e26f12a2103e1fa25453f hexen.wad (20,083,672 bytes)
78d5898e99e220e4de64edaa0e479593 hexdd.wad ( 4,440,584 bytes)

Demo wad 1.0 (from PC shareware hexndemo.zip):
876a5a44c7b68f04b3bb9bc7a5bd69d6 hexen.wad (10,644,136 bytes)

Demo wad 1.1 (from Macintosh shareware MacHexenDemo.hqx):
925f9f5000e17dc84b0a6a3bed3a6f31 hexen.wad (13,596,228 bytes)

We've done our best to support the old 1.0 wad files, but strongly
suggest that you patch your wads to version 1.1 to avoid possible issues.
If for some reason patching is not an option and you run into problems,
compile hhexen to specifically use version 1.0 hexen.wad:

Pickle said:
fettouhi said:
Pickle said:
Lanboy said:

Regards

André

Maybe its not the wad but exe, try recopying the files in the zip to your card

edit: i missed you said that you did that already.

edit 2:
Prereqs

There exist several versions of the hexen.wad file:

1.0 wads:
b2543a03521365261d0a0f74d5dd90f0 hexen.wad (20,128,392 bytes)
1077432e2690d390c256ac908b5f4efa hexdd.wad ( 4,429,700 bytes)

1.1 wads:
abb033caf81e26f12a2103e1fa25453f hexen.wad (20,083,672 bytes)
78d5898e99e220e4de64edaa0e479593 hexdd.wad ( 4,440,584 bytes)

Demo wad 1.0 (from PC shareware hexndemo.zip):
876a5a44c7b68f04b3bb9bc7a5bd69d6 hexen.wad (10,644,136 bytes)

Demo wad 1.1 (from Macintosh shareware MacHexenDemo.hqx):
925f9f5000e17dc84b0a6a3bed3a6f31 hexen.wad (13,596,228 bytes)

We've done our best to support the old 1.0 wad files, but strongly
suggest that you patch your wads to version 1.1 to avoid possible issues.
If for some reason patching is not an option and you run into problems,
compile hhexen to specifically use version 1.0 hexen.wad:

Yup, that worked I upgraded my hexen.wad to 1.1. It was for some reason 1.0 I got from ID softwares homepage. The demo doesn't work either, tried that to.

Regards

André

Back