Beta Hotfix 4 - Beta 2

mali said:
^ It won't fry as it doesn't allow voltage adjustment. The only thing that could happen is that you have to restart if the requested speed isn't stable.
Ookaayyyy then. Still, I kinda don't like it. I know it's the paranoia talking, but how's about this: Aforementioned Bad Guy (obviously an Apple flunkey) releases a proggie that surrepticiously sets the speed at the highest stable level; subsequently the boards get inundated with users complaining about plummeting battery life (I aggerate ex, obviously, but by how much?).

My point? Can the CPU speed be changed without the user's prior consent, and if so, why was that considered a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Karel Jansens said:
mali said:
^ It won't fry as it doesn't allow voltage adjustment. The only thing that could happen is that you have to restart if the requested speed isn't stable.
Ookaayyyy then. Still, I kinda don't like it. I know it's the paranoia talking, but how's about this: Aforementioned Bad Guy (obviously an Apple flunkey) releases a proggie that surrepticiously sets the speed at the highest stable level; subsequently the boards get inundated with users complaining about plummeting battery life (I aggerate ex, obviously, but by how much?).

My point? Can the CPU speed be changed without the user's prior consent, and if so, why was that considered a good idea?

I really wondered what the problem was until I went back and reread the thread, but this is a very good point. If the file is only accepted when the user has opted not be warned about packages setting CPU speed, I'd say it's OK. If, however, the file written to appdata is taken as-is, even if the user has opted to be warned about CPU speed changes, this would indeed be a bad idea.

Karel Jansens said:

You are always prompted to accept the new CPU speed if this goes above 600. So you have the choice whether or not to allow the change. Suppose you could always edit or remove the cpuspeed file if you're not happy with the speed selected.

klamath said:
Karel Jansens said:

You are always prompted to accept the new CPU speed if this goes above 600. So you have the choice whether or not to allow the change. Suppose you could always edit or remove the cpuspeed file if you're not happy with the speed selected.

EvilDragon said:
* pnd_run: Enhanced clockspeed setting: User can now decide to set clockspeed without asking
The question is whether you are still warned even if you decided not to use the above functionality.

SteveM said:
klamath said:
Karel Jansens said:

EvilDragon said:
* pnd_run: Enhanced clockspeed setting: User can now decide to set clockspeed without asking
The question is whether you are still warned even if you decided not to use the above functionality.

Oh, didn't realise you could opt out of the CPU change warning message. Will test tonight if no one else answers this.

Looking good so far ED!

I updated to this beta-2 from the HF4/beta-1 fix, which had been installed over a fresh Zaxxon firmware (official) burn; as my previous report indicated, I had to re-flash because of problems with beta-1. With this update things all look pretty solid, will report back as I get more use happening this evening ..

SteveM said:
EvilDragon said:

Well, a developer should use the suggested CPU-Speed setting in PXML for the suggested speed.
He should NEVER EVER include a cpuspeed-file in the PND!

When the user runs the PND (with a suggested CPU-Speed) and the currently set speed is lower than the suggested one, the user will be asked to
a) Change speed to suggested one
B) Change speed to custom one
c) Change speed to suggested one (and don't ask anymore)
d) Change speed to custom one (and don't ask anymore)
e) Don't change CPU speed

Whatever he selects, he will ALWAYS get a warning when he sets a speed above 600MHz.

So, even if a dev includes a cpuspeed file within the PND-Package, the user will be asked if he really wants to overclock to that value.

Last edited:
klamath said:
Oh, didn't realise you could opt out of the CPU change warning message. Will test tonight if no one else answers this.

You can opt out the warning, but not the warning about overclocking.

Last edited:
Jdbye said:
EvilDragon said:
Or done an opkg update once before?
Yeah, I had to install some libraries for Minitube.

Hm, then it probably compared the values of our files with the update-database.
Will check if I can disable the MD5-Sum check when installing.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Jdbye said:
EvilDragon said:

Sorry for this one :(

sebt3 said:
EvilDragon said:
Jdbye said:
EvilDragon said:

Sorry for this one :(

Heh, it's not your fault :)
I guess quite a few people did install something via OPKG already. So I need to find a way past that anyways.

Last edited:
Lurkio said:
The green power LED would still be on to tell you that your Pandora is plugged in.

The green power LED is on to tell you the Pandora is switched on. It doesn't indicate in any way that the unit is plugged in.

I also added this to the beta 1 thread, but alas no response..

I just installed it (hotfix 4 beta 2 now). Tried to connect to my iPhone for tethering.

- Tethering enabled on the iphone (also via bluetooth)
- Enabled bluetooth on pandora
- Added device (iphone) on Pandora with custom pin (1234)
- checked the box for use the internet connection of the iphone
- ticked on the network icon
- ticked on XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX PANU (too much work to add my real mac)

It does not work for me. just runs for a few seconds (I get a busy animation on the network icon), but then it has no connection.

Anyone get it to work on an iphone?

Also, right before it fails, the bluetooth LED turns off for a short moment, although it could just be the fact that there is activity.

Are there any logfiles I can check?

mrdremel said:
I also added this to the beta 1 thread, but alas no response..

I just installed it (hotfix 4 beta 2 now). Tried to connect to my iPhone for tethering.

- Tethering enabled on the iphone (also via bluetooth)
- Enabled bluetooth on pandora
- Added device (iphone) on Pandora with custom pin (1234)
- checked the box for use the internet connection of the iphone
- ticked on the network icon
- ticked on XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX PANU (too much work to add my real mac)

It does not work for me. just runs for a few seconds (I get a busy animation on the network icon), but then it has no connection.

Anyone get it to work on an iphone?

Also, right before it fails, the bluetooth LED turns off for a short moment, although it could just be the fact that there is activity.

Are there any logfiles I can check?
I was trying to tether my 2G iphone with MiFi or whatever its called. Never had any luck. No longer have AT&T :) Waiting for my Droid X to hopefully tether, a few weeks lead time.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

I also cannot tether to my iPhone (3G) .. well I can bond the two devices, but no Internet activity occurs. I will try my Android phone later this evening ..

I heard quite a few problems tethering with iPhones actually. I don't have one to try out, but I think no iPhone will work with a Pandora yet. No idea what's different with the iPhone, but they seem to kick the Pandora out as soon as it tries to connect (and not only the Pandora).

Small and easy suggestion:

Add custom actions to Thunar for removing things.

For files: rm %F
For directories: rm -r %F

That way one can properly delete things with just a rightclick. I don't know how/where Thunar stores its config.

Spirit said:
Small and easy suggestion:

Add custom actions to Thunar for removing things.

For files: rm %F
For directories: rm -r %F

That way one can properly delete things with just a rightclick. I don't know how/where Thunar stores its config.

how to do this is in the tweaks thread in the main forum.
here :)

Back