Beta Hotfix 4 Beta 3 Released!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, time or a new Beta of Hotfix 4. If this one is working fine, I'll release it as Final.

Here are the changes:
Code:
Hotfix 4 Beta 1:
* Kernel: Added Bluetooth patch by urjaman. PAN (bluetooth internet connections) work fine now.
* Nub Mousebuttons: Moving down is now middle mousebuttons. Recognition of mouseclicks with the nub has been enhanced (patch by urjaman)
* Pandora-Scripts: The internal scripts (CPU-Speed, Startup-Manager, etc.) have icons now.
* Lid: Opening / Closing will not affect the powersave mode anymore.
* Powersave mode: Changed the CPU Speed setting
* pnd_run: Cleaned up, added support for clockspeed setting
* libpnd: Finally support spaces in pathnames and PND-Names.
* Updated to a more recent XFCE4-Version

Hotfix 4 Beta 2:
* Pandora-Scripts: Readded Toggle WiFi to Mini Menu as well
* pnd_run: Enhanced clockspeed setting: User can now decide to set clockspeed without asking
* First-Run-Wizard and Time / Date script: Fixed bug of not-appearing calendar
* New default config for vim (thanks to Nils Kneuper (Ivanovic))
* Python: Added python-misc and python-modules
* New lib: libaudiofile0 now included

Hotfix 4 Beta 3:
* Pandora-Scripts: Added simple TV-Out script.
* pnd_run: Added "and don't ask again" for "no", too :) 
* Fixed brightness scripts (broken with last Betaversion)
* Powersave mode: Now restores proper speed (was always setting back to 500)
* MiniMenu: New config dialogue included (will be improved in the future)
* xf86-video-omapfb: add pandora specific screen blanking
* udev 151: add rule to reserve fb2
* Leds: Fix TWL4030 PWM LED driver (thanks to Urja Rannikko)
* Pandora misc: HACK to change OPP level according to set mhz (thanks to Urja Rannikko) + OPP limiter added (by notaz)
* OMAP: DSS2: make filter coefficient tables human readable, DSS2: add some hackish FIR filter coefficient access
* WiFi: Fixed the problem where you could not reconnect after you lost a connections

As usual, it should install from any system. Report any problems here.
There will be a logfile in the appdata-directory (opkg.log).

Be sure to remove all previous HF-PNDs from your card before installing.

Download: HotFix4-Zaxxon-B3

EvilDragon said:
* Pandora misc: HACK to change OPP level according to set mhz (thanks to Urja Rannikko) + OPP limiter added (by notaz)

Ohh and what is the OPP limiter set to?

Last edited by a moderator:
And how is tighten OPP level with CPU speed? I mean it is set to fix OPP value for given CPU speed range (ie: 200 and less = OPP1, 201 to 500 MHz = OPP2, 501 to 600 MHz = PP3, more than 600 MHz = OPP4)? Will be VSel configurable in some "safe for user play" range?

peca said:
And how is tighten OPP level with CPU speed? I mean it is set to fix OPP value for given CPU speed range (ie: 200 and less = OPP1, 201 to 500 MHz = OPP2, 501 to 600 MHz = PP3, more than 600 MHz = OPP4)? Will be VSel configurable in some "safe for user play" range?
I'll quote someone...
urjaman said:
The patch sets voltage like this
Code:
OPP Volts VSEL
1   0.975 30
2   1.05  36
3   1.20  48
4   1.27  54
5   1.35  60
Or closest possible to up if it didnt match the 12.5mV scale exactly. Those values were http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/OMAP3530_Power_Estimation_Spreadsheet <-there :p

And OPP according to this logic:
default=1
if >125Mhz then 2
if >250Mhz then 3
if >600Mhz then 4
if >720Mhz then 5
The opp limiter will make it to stay in OPP3 by default (it will of course go into OPP1 and 2 when underclocked).
Write the maximum OPP level alloved (eg. 5) to /proc/pandora/cpu_opp_max to allow it to use the higher OPP levels.

nice. and presumably there's some startup script somewhere that one could edit with the line 'echo 5 > /proc/pandora/cpu_opp_max' so it's permanently enabled?

Pleng said:
nice. and presumably there's some startup script somewhere that one could edit with the line 'echo 5 > /proc/pandora/cpu_opp_max' so it's permanently enabled?

I'm working on a tweaking script where you can setup stuff like that, yes. (with a warning, of course).
It will also implement other tweaks like "don't warn on overclock anymore", etc.

Last edited:
whats the current level of opp again? 3 isnt it?

this mean, if i can oc to 800mhz during opp3, with opp4 i might be able to go to 900mhz!
:) ?

edit, or does it already go into opp4 if mhz > 600 ?
and urjamans patch only added opp5

GizmoTheGreen said:

this mean, if i can oc to 800mhz during opp3, with opp4 i might be able to go to 900mhz!

It's always in OPP3 if I remember correctly. All overclocking at the moment is just using OPP3, unless you're using a modified kernel.

Dead1nside said:
GizmoTheGreen said:

It's always in OPP3 if I remember correctly. All overclocking at the moment is just using OPP3, unless you're using a modified kernel.

No, with HF4 Beta 3, you can go up to OPP5 by sacrificing CPU lifetime (it can be reduced to 5 years, according to TI).

It's in userspace, so at the moment, you can only change the max OPP via command line.
I will make a tweak script where the user can configure how high he will go. But with a clear warning that it reduces the lifetime.

Last edited:
If anyone's interested in the overvolting I made a modified version of op_cpuspeed.sh for use with the OPP limiter that will automatically change cpu_opp_max within configurable mhz ranges and effectively lets you override the mhz ranges built in the kernel, you can find it here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...d-overvolting/page__view__findpost__p__910348
By default it's set to OPP2 at >125Mhz, OPP3 at >250Mhz, OPP4 at >800Mhz, OPP5 at >900Mhz, easily changed with the variables in the script, and it shows a warning before you overvolt.

Edit: It might also be of interest to know that Mario Kart 64 runs fullspeed at 1Ghz. Zelda OoT, however does not.

Folks .. recently added to this hotfix is minimenu's conf UI; hit the Select menu (I will set keys to different buttons another hotfix), and theres an option 'Configure minimenu'; in there you can hide/show apps or tabs, and set the default tab, and some various options. (Let me know what options you jmight like to see!)

Options to re-order tabs are not in there yet (unless you go to config file hacking).

Next hotfix I'll add a context menu so you can pick an app to hide right from the main grid, and some other stuiff; but for now, you can go to conf UI and see your full list of current apps and hide/show them. (This menu is always needed, so even in the future if you hide an app via context menu, then you need a way to unhide it.. hence this menu :)

Let us know if it all seems stable!

jeff

So far so good here. Will report if I have any problems.
Quick question....where to change the timeout value or disable this?: "xf86-video-omapfb: add pandora specific screen blanking"
Was lost without the screen dimming script, thanks for readding it! :)

Interesting, this Hot Fix baked longer in the oven than the others, I guess it has quite huge fixes. I like thet the WiFi Fix is included. :)
What exactly does "OPP" mean? It's releated to overclocking I see.

Another Question: this Hotfix still doesn't update the Kernel to a newe one? Or how is this part of the OS/Firmware hadled?

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I noticed for about 3 seconds a boot screen with a mouse(?) on it. Is this a window where people can add there very own startup animation or picture? That would be great! I remember my GP2X used to have about 2 and a half seconds where you could add your own personalised start up tone.

I'm all for voltage scaling, 100%, I think we'll see much better utilization now.

But the official stance has been "Overclock is okay, overvolting will void your warranty. The official firmware will not allow overvolting." And this needs to be amended somehow, or at least something very explicit needs to be defined. Will the GUI stuff for setting OPP limiter > 3 say you're voiding your warranty?

Will be good finally messing with the FIR coefficients, is the access method documented? Should I wait for a post from notaz?

Exophase said:
I'm all for voltage scaling, 100%, I think we'll see much better utilization now.
But the official stance has been "Overclock is okay, overvolting will void your warranty. The official firmware will not allow overvolting." And this needs to be amended somehow, or at least something very explicit needs to be defined. Will the GUI stuff for setting OPP limiter > 3 say you're voiding your warranty?

You're not voiding the warranty, we only allow values which are within TIs specs here.
But, according to TI, you reduce the lifetime of the the CPU, and this is the clear warning we will show when you use the tweak GUI.

Last edited:
NickLoTurco said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I noticed for about 3 seconds a boot screen with a mouse(?) on it. Is this a window where people can add there very own startup animation or picture? That would be great! I remember my GP2X used to have about 2 and a half seconds where you could add your own personalised start up tone.
That is the Xfce default session manager startup screen, and yes it can be changed (look here at the official xfce docs).
But, that those two seconds is all the time it is going to appear. I don't know if it can be made longer, but for so little time it think it would be best to prevent it from loading yet an other screen.

EvilDragon said:
You're not voiding the warranty, we only allow values which are within TIs specs here.
But, according to TI, you reduce the lifetime of the the CPU, and this is the clear warning we will show when you use the tweak GUI.
And undervolting? Will it increase its life time? At least enough to offset the increased use from the overvolted speeds.
Chances are everyone will be able to run 500 mhz at opp2, and even at opp1. Considering this is the official speed, it is interesting to have a wizard so people can configure the lowest opp the pandora can accept at certain speeds...
...through crashes...

Perhaps now will came more handy the nand on a sd card as so many crashes will likely damage the nand filesystem.

Blue Ion said:
EvilDragon said:
And undervolting? Will it increase its life time? At least enough to offset the increased use from the overvolted speeds.
Chances are everyone will be able to run 500 mhz at opp2, and even at opp1. Considering this is the official speed, it is interesting to have a wizard so people can configure the lowest opp the pandora can accept at certain speeds...
...through crashes...

Well, AFAIK the expected lifetime is 10 years (meaning: 24 hours, 356 days, 10 years), so I don't think there will be a big difference.

But it should save some battery power.

Last edited:
Back