Beta Hotfix 4 Very First Beta

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

well, took a while, since I started switching to use proper IPK packages to update things instead of just copying scripts.
The downside is: Applying a Hotfix takes a while longer.
The good thing of this is: I can now also update OS packages like Pidgin, XFCE4, etc., not just some scripts. And it's the first major step offering two ways of updating in the future: Either via Hotfix packages or via an Updater tool directly from the Pandora while it is connected to the internet. And you will be able to mix up both ways of updating - it will not screw up anything.

So, as this HotFix is approaching a totally different way of updating, please let me know if everything worked out fine.

As usual, you should be able to update ANY system - it should work regardless whether you have no Hotfix or Hotfix 1, 2 or 3 installed.

So far, these new features are in the HotFix 4 Beta Package:

* Kernel: Added Bluetooth patch by urjaman. PAN (bluetooth internet connections) work fine now.
* Nub Mousebuttons: Moving down is now middle mousebuttons. Recognition of mouseclicks with the nub has been enhanced (patch by urjaman)
* Pandora-Scripts: The internal scripts (CPU-Speed, Startup-Manager, etc.) have icons now.
* Lid: Opening / Closing will not affect the powersave mode anymore.
* Powersave mode: Changed the CPU Speed setting
* pnd_run: Cleaned up, added support for clockspeed setting
* libpnd: Finally support spaces in pathnames and PND-Names.
* Updated to a more recent XFCE4-Version

There will be some more fixes and stuff in the final version - if the new updating version works fine, the rest is easy going :)

Please post any problems you will encounter here. Thanks :)

Download HotFix 4 Beta 1

Anyone care to give an idea of how long this should take.....

mine has been 'stuck' on "updating os...this will take a while" for about 10 minutes now.

CJ

DrCJBoduma said:

mine has been 'stuck' on "updating os...this will take a while" for about 10 minutes now.

CJ
took maybe 5 mins i think.Try again,maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The toggle wi-fi option seems to have disappeared from my pandora.cant locate it in mini menu or main os.

wrath of khan said:
The toggle wi-fi option seems to have disappeared from my pandora.cant locate it in mini menu or main os.
That's true for me too. I've really not installed HF4 but I'm using a more recent firmware image which I suppose has some of the HF4 fixes (like the middle mouse button on right nub down for example). I dumped it to my SD card and that's the system I'm running.

So I made a launcher in the desktop pointing to "gksudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_wifi.sh" until it's fixed

wrath of khan said:
DrCJBoduma said:

CJ
took maybe 5 mins i think.Try again,maybe.
thanks, had to restart for some reason, but then it managed to complete the update.

CJ

mine updated and i still have the "toggle wifi" option in start>system>toggle wifi but i did notice it forgot my seting not to stat wifi on boot.

Ah, stupid me, had some leftover in the updater script which removed the Toggle WiFi.

Everyone who downloads the HotFix now shouldn't have the problem.

(Note: Toggle WiFi will only show up in XFCE4, as it doesn't make sense in MiniMenu (no NetworkManager running there)).

If you installed HF4 Beta 1 and have missing "Toggle WiFi" in XFCE4:
Download that small fix here and run it
It will take about 20 seconds (it seems nothing is happening, just be a bit patient) and then the Toggle WiFi will be back.

Thanks for the reports :)

EvilDragon said:
Ah, stupid me, had some leftover in the updater script which removed the Toggle WiFi.

Everyone who downloads the HotFix now shouldn't have the problem.

(Note: Toggle WiFi will only show up in XFCE4, as it doesn't make sense in MiniMenu (no NetworkManager running there)).

Bad bad baaad! :eek:

If you have already set up wireless networks with XFCE, and set autoconnect, toggling wifi from minimenu will still connect to these networks. I very often work like this. Pleaaaase can we have the icon put back into minimenu!

posted using bluetooth :) Finally an easy answer when someone asks "Can it do mobile internet?"
everything else seems to work nice as well.

Cheers!

Edit: Was connected for 15 minutes and had 2 bluetooth connection drops. But i noticed my mobile was just about hugging 2 chargers, so that probably caused some pretty severe interference. will give it a long test tomorrow.

I'm running angstrom from SD. Executed HF4 and at the end told me everything got updated except the kernel because there was enough space in /boot. I realized that it didn't tried to install it in the SD, but in the NAND. I had to install the packages at hand. Wouldn't it be better if the updater asked you where you want to apply the update?

EDIT: just noticed now the nub doesn't trigger the middle button any more :(

MarkoeZ said:
posted using bluetooth :) Finally an easy answer when someone asks "Can it do mobile internet?"
everything else seems to work nice as well.

Cheers!

Care to share how you did this please.

CJ

got bluetooth net working from my phone too, its great!

to get it working, i recommend u do a google for how to activate bluetooth pan for ur phone. then it is just a matter of toggling bluetooth on on the pandora, having the pandora search, and adding the device using the wizard.

otherwise, all seems stable with this hotfix release, thx ed!

cheers, simon

Pleng said:
Bad bad baaad! :eek:

If you have already set up wireless networks with XFCE, and set autoconnect, toggling wifi from minimenu will still connect to these networks. I very often work like this. Pleaaaase can we have the icon put back into minimenu!

Aaaah, okay! Didn't know this works - just saw some report on the bugtracker that it doesn't connect automagically to encrypted networks... probably just when using a gnome keyring.
Will be back with next update :)

MarkoeZ said:
Edit: Was connected for 15 minutes and had 2 bluetooth connection drops. But i noticed my mobile was just about hugging 2 chargers, so that probably caused some pretty severe interference. will give it a long test tomorrow.

My record so far was about 6 hours straight without a drop... and then my mobile phone battery was empty :D

joseluisjazz said:
I'm running angstrom from SD. Executed HF4 and at the end told me everything got updated except the kernel because there was enough space in /boot. I realized that it didn't tried to install it in the SD, but in the NAND. I had to install the packages at hand. Wouldn't it be better if the updater asked you where you want to apply the update?
EDIT: just noticed now the nub doesn't trigger the middle button any more :(

It's using IPKs, so it will install the kernel on /boot/
If /boot/ is on your SD Card and has enough space free (should be at least 10 MB of size), then it should install it on your card.
This is also how it should've been setup.

It shouldn't even have access to the kernel in the NAND as long as you haven't mounted ubifs... what's in your fstab for /boot/ ?

Also, middle button should work with this one - are you sure you are booting from the latest kernel?

Last edited:
Back