Beta Hotfix 4 Very First Beta

tsh said:
Jdbye said:
tsh said:
Android won't do BT DUN (at least 2.2 stock, rooted it is possible)
PDAnet has BT DUN and doesn't require root.
I tried that, and couldn't get it to work. Have you tried it with a Pandora?
Nope, haven't got one yet. Will get it in a couple of days though, then I'll try it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
[

You're going Sprint? Also, Bluetooth tethering only works if you have internet, which a data plan gives you. o.o

-God Ginrai

No stuck with Verizon... Regarding the Tether, with an Incredible, they want to charge for a separate data plan on top of the data plan that you have to pay for with the phone. If you have a Palm Pre/Pre Plus, you don't have to pay for that 2nd data plan in the US. The Motorola X does this with Froyo 2.2 and NOT needing a 2nd data plan. If I exchange my Incredible for an X, I will be without a phone for 3 weeks while I waif for the X to arrive from backorder. The Palm Pre Plus is in stock, won't need the 2nd data plan. It's a dilema I have to deal with in the morning with Verizon's customer service.

Was hoping for an easy answer that I could download an app from the Market and solve all this with bluetooth and Pandora with the Incredible not needing root access. I'm not in a timeframe right now that I can learn how to hack the root on the Incredible, probably won't take long, I'm just really busy and need the net access for the Pandora via tether or even for my MBP.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

From looking at the forum I seem to be the only one who encountered this problem :( When I installed the hotfix it said everything had worked correctly and asked me to restart. On restarting after the progress bar goes all the way to the right hand side of the screen I just get a black screen with a flashing line in the top left corner. I left the Pandora for about ten minutes to see if maybe it would display the OS but no joy. Closing the lid no longer cuts power to the screen, resetting just brings me back to the black screen so I've had to remove the battery to turn the Pandora off. I guess I'll just wait until hotfix 4 is final and then reflash. The only thing I can think of that may have messed up the update was that I had the Pandora running at 800MHz during the installation but I've never had problems at this speed before.

Just installed this and noticed a few things:

1. The Hotfix #4 Beta installed fine, didn't report any problems. I got the message "you've updated your kernel and must now reboot" .. however, the menu had *no* option to reboot any more - in fact it seems that all items on the menu, *except* those placed there by a .PND, were gone after the update. I could not reboot using the normal "log out"->Reboot option .. instead, I alt-f2'ed, typed "xterm" and then "sudo reboot" .. this reboot worked.

2. During the *next* bootup, the Angstrom bootsplash screen came up, and has taken about 10 minutes to boot so far .. at first I thought it was completely borked, when the scroll bar just froze at about 2/3rds of the way through the progress .. but I just noticed it jumped a bit just now.. and now there is a "centimeter" of boot progress bar left to get through, the bar is stuck run under the O of ZAXXON in the "Release 1 - "Zaxxon" line, and its not going anywhere. No SD light activity, no wifi activity, etc.. just .. stuck. I'm going to let it sit there all day, maybe its going to time out doing something - my Wifi was configured and working fine before the boot, but the Wifi itself is not available (I'm not at work) .. maybe its just timing out trying to get my wifi connected. I'll let it sit for 30 minutes more or so before I consider rebooting it .. I have *no* idea what its doing.

EDIT: The screen just went blank, and is not responding to anything. No activity LED's - just the two rightmost LEDs are on [red][green] (I've got power connected). The Pandora will not respond to anything, the screen is just blank - screen is on, backlight is on, but it just took the splash screen away. I'll let it sit a while longer before I force-reboot without SD cards in, in case its something to do with an fsck or something ..

torpor said:
Just installed this and noticed a few things:

1. The Hotfix #4 Beta installed fine, didn't report any problems. I got the message "you've updated your kernel and must now reboot" .. however, the menu had *no* option to reboot any more - in fact it seems that all items on the menu, *except* those placed there by a .PND, were gone after the update. I could not reboot using the normal "log out"->Reboot option .. instead, I alt-f2'ed, typed "xterm" and then "sudo reboot" .. this reboot worked.

2. During the *next* bootup, the Angstrom bootsplash screen came up, and has taken about 10 minutes to boot so far .. at first I thought it was completely borked, when the scroll bar just froze at about 2/3rds of the way through the progress .. but I just noticed it jumped a bit just now.. and now there is a "centimeter" of boot progress bar left to get through, the bar is stuck run under the O of ZAXXON in the "Release 1 - "Zaxxon" line, and its not going anywhere. No SD light activity, no wifi activity, etc.. just .. stuck. I'm going to let it sit there all day, maybe its going to time out doing something - my Wifi was configured and working fine before the boot, but the Wifi itself is not available (I'm not at work) .. maybe its just timing out trying to get my wifi connected. I'll let it sit for 30 minutes more or so before I consider rebooting it .. I have *no* idea what its doing.

EDIT: The screen just went blank, and is not responding to anything. No activity LED's - just the two rightmost LEDs are on [red][green] (I've got power connected). The Pandora will not respond to anything, the screen is just blank - screen is on, backlight is on, but it just took the splash screen away. I'll let it sit a while longer before I force-reboot without SD cards in, in case its something to do with an fsck or something ..
I have that problem left it on over night, still same, happens on every boot
going to reflash tonight,, I close screen during the install if that has anythign to do with it.

Is there some way I can access the console messages to further help debug this? usb-serial on the gadget port or something?

torpor said:
Is there some way I can access the console messages to further help debug this? usb-serial on the gadget port or something?
Console will be to LCD if you just drop console=... from the bootargs, and then the splash can propably be disabled in some way (google gave me that psplash=false might work but dunno, my pandora is at home (I'm at work), so...). I dont think that the kernel supports usb-serial console... and then it would be on the host port (AFAIK) if it is in the kernel and you compile a kernel with it...

Those who had problems with it:

Could you please post what OS Version you had running?
(Hotfix 1, 2, 3, etc. or custom?)

I will make a debug version which spits out all messages onto a logfile of the SD Card.

budliz said:
From looking at the forum I seem to be the only one who encountered this problem :( When I installed the hotfix it said everything had worked correctly and asked me to restart. On restarting after the progress bar goes all the way to the right hand side of the screen I just get a black screen with a flashing line in the top left corner. I left the Pandora for about ten minutes to see if maybe it would display the OS but no joy. Closing the lid no longer cuts power to the screen, resetting just brings me back to the black screen so I've had to remove the battery to turn the Pandora off. I guess I'll just wait until hotfix 4 is final and then reflash. The only thing I can think of that may have messed up the update was that I had the Pandora running at 800MHz during the installation but I've never had problems at this speed before.
This looks like the same problem I had here:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55777-x-not-loading/
which occurred before the HF was released. Try re-booting, booting from SD (and not re-flashing), then booting again. Mine fixed itself.

torpor said:
http://pandorawiki.org/Introduction_to_firmware#Debugging_broken_firmware
has the boot file for nand boot to console.

Thanks tsh,

I'll try that this evening.

Just for the record it was hotfix 3 I was upgrading from.

I tried booting from SD but it froze saying: Loading [g_cdc]

I then re-flashed & reinstalled the beta hotfix 4 pnd and all is well in the world again.

budliz said:

Huh? The bootloader said that? Or when did that appear?

Last edited:
Hi ED,

I created a boot SD card as described above by tsh. I selected boot from SD from the list of options that appeared. It did mention some problem with shared/common files that the Network Manager needed but continued loading until it displayed the lines below:

mkmod: '/dev/bc_cat': File exists
Loading [g_cdc]

Then there was just a flashing underscore character.

EvilDragon said:
budliz said:

Huh? The bootloader said that? Or when did that appear?

Could it be possible he had it connected to something via usb when booting?

Also.. can we please have the Toggle Wifi option back in minimenu!!!

Alerino said:
posted it in another thread
to correctly set date and time, i just run 'sudo date MMDDHHMMyyyy'
This is how I do it. First:
Code:
$ date
mar ago 10 06:00:08 CEST 2010
Then copy-paste the text, changing as needed. Like this:
Code:
$ date -s "ago 11 19:19:20 GMT 2012"
It's changed.

just dropping by to congratulate EvilDragon, this beta hotfix works like a charm, no problems whatsoever :)

ED: My problem with not being able to boot after applying this hotfix is solved, I re-flashed the firmware and applied the Hotfix #4 (+codec pack) directly .. only now the problem is that every time the Pandora boots up, the nubs don't work and in order to fix them I have to "Reset Nub Settings" using the Nubs Settings app .. bit of a nuisance, that, so if there is something I can look at to help sort it out, let me know.

Also, with my original problem: It was an original factory firmware upgraded with *every* hotfix pack you released, and not much else - except the "bollocks" style development tools installed, which I don't think matters.

Back