Release HotFix 5 - RC 1 ready for testing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes the os does not boot into desktop (it boots past splashcreen) and hangs on black screen; have to reset by taking battery out;

Thats been there forever AFAIK (not just this hotfix); for me, it uncanily only happens when I boot while not watching it :) (ie: usually first boot .. I'll hit power, and put the unit off the side, and look over a minute later to the black screen.) Then yoink battery and all clear.

AFAIK theres some schmutz state being left, that is not cleared when unit shuts down, and occasionally screws up boot or something. The odd thing is it mostly boots, just seems ot hang half way through, before X gets going or something.

Its sufficiently rare (for me) that it doesn't annoy me enough to look into it, and would make reproducing it to debug it really hard. Happens only ever few days for me.

Anything you notice?

jeff

Have successfully reproduced the problem twice just now: if I turn on the Pandora, activate wifi, then put it to sleep, the system is entirely non-responsive upon waking to the point of needing reset by removing the battery. This is with a fresh install of the firmware, with the only changed being some display settings.

Edit: Unrelated to the issue above; is there anyplace yet to post requests for HF6?

I can confirm this, though it seems for me that only the nubs deactivate, which only a reboot can fix.

Have successfully reproduced the problem twice just now: if I turn on the Pandora, activate wifi, then put it to sleep, the system is entirely non-responsive upon waking to the point of needing reset by removing the battery. This is with a fresh install of the firmware, with the only changed being some display settings.

Edit: Unrelated to the issue above; is there anyplace yet to post requests for HF6?

I can confirm this, though it seems for me that only the nubs deactivate, which only a reboot can fix.

I cannot get this to repeat. Can you post exact steps on how you get this to happen (i.e. do you connect to a network, open any programs, etc.)?

I cannot get this to repeat. Can you post exact steps on how you get this to happen (i.e. do you connect to a network, open any programs, etc.)?

Replicating the problem right now. Steps I take:

1. Turn Pandora on/re-insert battery

2. Upon startup, activate WLAN

3. Wait for WLAN to enable, and to auto-connect to a network

4. Verify that WLAN is connected to a network by looking in the network manager menu

5. Activate sleep-state by holding power switch to the right for a second or two

6. Notice that the WLAN light stays on during sleep; not sure if this is normal behavior

7. Wait 10-20 seconds, then disable sleep by holding power switch to the right for one to two seconds

8. Notice that nub pointers are non-responsive, though the touchscreen does work (I may have been mistaken in my previous report, or else the problem has improved)

9. Use the touchscreen to reboot OR shutdown

10. Notice that the system hangs on shutdown (waited about 5-10 minutes to verify that system is indeed hanging, and not just slowly shutting down. I should probably move the OS to an SD card so I can check the status light to see if it is doing anything during this time.)

11. System is non-responsive at this point; buttons don't do anything, holding the power switch doesn't do anything; curiously the sleep state works during this 'shutdown', though return from sleep goes to a black screen with a stationary cursor in the corner

12. Remove battery to force shutdown

Excuse the long rambling process. :lol:

4. Verify that WLAN is connected to a network by looking in the network manager menu

5. Activate sleep-state by holding power switch to the right for a second or two

6. Notice that the WLAN light stays on during sleep; not sure if this is normal behavior

7. Wait 10-20 seconds, then disable sleep by holding power switch to the right for one to two seconds

8. Notice that nub pointers are non-responsive, though the touchscreen does work (I may have been mistaken in my previous report, or else the problem has improved)

10. Notice that the system hangs on shutdown (waited about 5-10 minutes to verify that system is indeed hanging, and not just slowly shutting down. I should probably move the OS to an SD card so I can check the status light to see if it is doing anything during this time.)

11. System is non-responsive at this point; buttons don't do anything, holding the power switch doesn't do anything; curiously the sleep state works during this 'shutdown', though return from sleep goes to a black screen with a stationary cursor in the corner

This method doesn't necessarily work for me. Before step 5, I forced some network activity to occur (other than simply connecting) by opening the latest Chromium pnd and going to google.com. I then closed the browser, closed the lid of my Pandora, and sent it into standby mode. The 'power on' light does not dim at this point and the wifi light stays lit. Reactivating the Pandora has the same symptoms mentioned above.

Pre-shutdown dmesg log for this instance: http://pastebin.com/XGMxGrdP

Points of interest seem to be at 229.900604 and 230.328155, though I'm no expert.

This method doesn't necessarily work for me. Before step 5, I forced some network activity to occur (other than simply connecting) by opening the latest Chromium pnd and going to google.com. I then closed the browser, closed the lid of my Pandora, and sent it into standby mode. The 'power on' light does not dim at this point and the wifi light stays lit. Reactivating the Pandora has the same symptoms mentioned above.

Points of interest seem to be at 229.900604 and 230.328155, though I'm no expert.

I am using a University Wifi network which has some differences from a normal Wifi AP, so maybe its forcing some network activity after connecting. I don't know enough to say for certain, and don't currently have access to a plain old wireless router to test it out. So maybe thats why our initial steps differ.

I am using a University Wifi network which has some differences from a normal Wifi AP, so maybe its forcing some network activity after connecting. I don't know enough to say for certain, and don't currently have access to a plain old wireless router to test it out. So maybe thats why our initial steps differ.

I don't acutally have wifi. I was tethering from my Android phone which has AP mode, so your method is probably more typical than mine.

sometimes the os does not boot into desktop (it boots past splashcreen) and hangs on black screen; have to reset by taking battery out;

Thats been there forever AFAIK (not just this hotfix); for me, it uncanily only happens when I boot while not watching it :) (ie: usually first boot .. I'll hit power, and put the unit off the side, and look over a minute later to the black screen.) Then yoink battery and all clear.

AFAIK theres some schmutz state being left, that is not cleared when unit shuts down, and occasionally screws up boot or something. The odd thing is it mostly boots, just seems ot hang half way through, before X gets going or something.

Its sufficiently rare (for me) that it doesn't annoy me enough to look into it, and would make reproducing it to debug it really hard. Happens only ever few days for me.

Anything you notice?

jeff

today it has happened at least 3 times, and i think i see a pattern.

if i shutdown using power switch it restarts fine (though sometimes the splashcreens for xfce remain showing for half a sceond or so after full desktop shows)

but if i use the pandora menu shutdown it does not restart fully and hangs afterr the splashscreen.

hope this is reproducible by others and can point to bug!

edit/

nope could not re-reproduce above so still no clue as to what's goign on?

incidently anyone know why a sound get produced (like a capacitor is discharging sound?) sometimes when you switch on pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seeing an occasional issue with the LCD brightness settings, they get reset to full brightness sometimes after coming back from low power(haven't done enough experimentation to say for definite, only spotted it yesterday)

Got this :

Code:
# /usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh 2     

/usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh: line 35: [: too many arguments

cpu_mhz_max set to 125

34 pidlist=$(pstree -lpA | grep pnd_run.sh | sed -ne 's/.*(\([0-9]\+\))/\1/p')

35 for PID in $pidlist

36 do

What is it for ?

SSH from PC running Ubuntu........for Codeblocks

I'm trying to open up a folder on my pandora (Places-Connect to Server etc etc). The ssh connection is refused under RC1 - v4.8 but using a boot off sd card with an older os I can connect. Has ssh broken in this release or is something else going on?

I was hoping to configure Codeblocks to edit/compile the files on my pandora using this, not sure if this would work though, or if I need to change something else to do this.

Anyone got any ideas experience of this?

I'm trying to open up a folder on my pandora (Places-Connect to Server etc etc). The ssh connection is refused under RC1 - v4.8 but using a boot off sd card with an older os I can connect. Has ssh broken in this release or is something else going on?

I was hoping to configure Codeblocks to edit/compile the files on my pandora using this, not sure if this would work though, or if I need to change something else to do this.

Have you enabled dropbear? It's disabled by default, and therefore SSH is disabled.

Go into Settings / Startup to enable it.

Linux-SWAT --

The for PID iteration if you see, sends a SIGSTOP and SIGCONT depending on sleep mode to the pnd-apps -- ie: similar to hitting ctrl-Z on terminal and then 'fg' later to revive an app; so when going to low power mode, it tells apps to stop, and then on restoring high power mode, it fires them up again.

jeff

Have you enabled dropbear? It's disabled by default, and therefore SSH is disabled.

Go into Settings / Startup to enable it.

Thanks ED that got me further.

It would appear that in RC1 - v4.8 ssh is not enabled by default....why should it be? My SD card boot install used a build where by default it was enabled....explaining why it stopped working!

Got this :

Code:
# /usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh 2     

/usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh: line 35: [: too many arguments

cpu_mhz_max set to 125

34 pidlist=$(pstree -lpA | grep pnd_run.sh | sed -ne 's/.*(\([0-9]\+\))/\1/p')

35 for PID in $pidlist

36 do

What is it for ?

Looks like it tries to get the PIDs of all instances of pnd_run.sh and then does whatever happens behind the do to them.

Something like pidlist=$(pgrep pnd_run.sh) would probably do the same?

Well, I still can't get this to repeat. A couple of things that I noticed:

• My wifi light does go out on sleep mode
  • I am not using the network manager menu (I didn't even see this, where did you find it?)
  • It's not necessary to "hold" the power switch for even a full second. A quick flick to the right will do just fine. I'm wondering if this is what's causing your problem.
  • Everything works just fine when I reactivate it from sleep. Wifi comes back and reconnects to an AP, nubs are functional, etc.

Another oddity for the collection.

I renamed a .pnd to .pnd.old, it was still autodetected and showed up in minimenu and XFCE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back