Release Hotfix 5 Released!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Finally - Hotfix 5 is out.
As promised, there is now a PND version which updates ANY previous OS version to the most recent one as well.
The only changes from HF5 RC2 were the updated splashscreen and a minor fix in the WiFi toggle script (it didn't end properly).

Here's a list of changes from HF4 on:

Code:
Fixes:
* LCD-Settings: Fixed the bug where the user could delete the default gamma setting
* Mass Storage Settings: Fixed a bug where it didn't remount the card under certain conditions
* First Run Wizard + Date / Time-Setting: Fixed timezone-selection.
* WiFi: New driver and firmware version with a lot of fixes (Yuri Ershov, notaz and Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli)
* xf86-video-omapfb: Handle cycle/forcer events better
* Automount: Unmount from Thunar / XFCE4 is now possible
* Low-Power-Mode: Speed now set to 125 MHz (works more stable and doesn't use more power)
* Lid Closing: Disabled LCD Blanking, since that has issues with some programs
* Brightness-Buttons: Changed values so that the screen doesn't flicker anymore
* pnd_run: Lots of fixes and cleanups (sebt3)
* pnd_run: Fixed running of directories with PXMLs inside (Paul Brook)
* pnd_run.sh: Remove empty AUFS-Directories after unmounting (thanks to sebt3)
* U-Boot: Add WiFi reset on boot (fixes occassional power eating from WiFi Chip even if it was switched off)
* Fixed broken OPP after the unit crashed (patch by urjaman)
* Included latest SGX PowerVR drivers (thanks to notaz)
* MiniMenu: A lot of bugfixes and optimizations.
* omap3-sgx-modules: backport spinlock fix from omap3630 (thanks to notaz)
* mount.sh: Small optimization (changed rm to rmdir)
* MiniMenu: Now using only 3-4% CPU when idling
* Kernel: Various fixed, especially the errors when copying from one SD Card to the other one should be fixed (thanks to urjaman and notaz).

New Features:
* LCD-Settings: Added Video-FIR-Selector (current and default one)
* Applications: Removed Pidgin, Gnumeric, AbiWord, Clawsmail (use the PNDs from sebt3!)
* Applications: Added GCalcTool (Calculator)
* Tools: Added xdotool
* CPU-Speed: Now configurable using /etc/pandora/conf/cpu.conf or using the new CPU-Settings-Editor
* Pandora-State: Can now set a default CPU Speed during startup
* XFCE4: Enabled Icons in Startmenu, added Pandora-Splashscreen
* pnd_run: Script now popups a message if mount fails (sebt3)
* U-Boot: Pandora Menu: Always add serial option (for sure)
* Libraries: Added libsamplerate
* MiniMenu: Added new config options (i.e. do not quit on app run, remove detail panel, etc.)
* MiniMenu: Added Subcategories in the Grid (for quicker browsing).
* MiniMenu: Included OVR-Editor (so you can rename, move or change other settings of PNDs)
* MiniMenu: Added Directory Browser

Download the full flash version here, or download the PND version here.

How to install it?

NOTE: This HotFix will REMOVE a few tools! Pidgin, Gnumeric, AbiWord, Clawsmail and the community backgrounds will be REMOVED to save NAND!
Those apps are already available as PNDs and work better than the NAND versions. I will release all the community backgrounds on the main website as well soon.

1. PND-Installer

Simple: Copy it to your SD Card, run it and follow the instructions on the screen.
Takes about 7 - 10 minutes, so be patient.

Check for any error messages afterwards, but unless you haven't filled up your NAND with some stuff, it should all go smoothly.
You won't lose any of your settings.

2. Full-Flash Image

Note: When flashing a full-flash image, you lose ALL your settings. The unit will behave as it was just brand new.

Easy: Download the zipped image and extract the full contents onto the root of your SD Card.
Put the SD Card into slot 1 (the left one), switch on the Pandora while holding the R-Shoulder button and select "boot from SD1:1"

The flashing process should start. After it's finished, reboot the unit.
The first boot will take a while (up to 10 minutes). Patiently wait and you'll be greeted with the First Boot Wizard.

Awesome work, ED & Co. - I'll install this as soon as my replacement Pandora arrives.

EvilDragon said:
NOTE: This HotFix will REMOVE a few tools! Pidgin, Gnumeric, AbiWord, Clawsmail and the community backgrounds will be REMOVED to save NAND!
Those apps are already available as PNDs and work better than the NAND versions. I will release all the community backgrounds on the main website as well soon.
For the time being, until you can upload the backgrounds to the official site, I have them all uploaded here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a message about having a custom or newer uboot and it asked if I wanted to update anyway. I haven't installed anything special on my Pandora and have only used the official hotfixes. Is this message normal with hotfix 5?

I said yes to installing the uboot included with hotfix 5 and everything seems to be working as normal.

Also, setting the date and time shows the wrong time in the clock until reboot.

Gruso said:
Code:
* CPU-Speed: Now configurable using /etc/pandora/conf/cpu.conf or using the new CPU-Settings-Editor
* Pandora-State: Can now set a default CPU Speed during startup
Where are the GUI editors for these?

EDIT : Under Settings/CPU Settings, the menu selection where you configure the Nubs etc.

ED, a bug for your perusal:
Since the update to HF5, my start menu frequently pauses for a few seconds, not letting me select anything.

I've added it to the bug tracker:
http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=224

Esn said:
Since the update to HF5, my start menu frequently pauses for a few seconds, not letting me select anything.

I guess you've got some stuff with icons there. Try right-click on the menu and disable the icons.

Last edited:
Don't know if this is a hotfix 5 problem or not, but when I use the Pandora button, the start menu it pulls up can not be gotten rid of without choosing an application to run. Seeing as how the Pandora button is the current way to exit Mupen64plus, this gets to be a real problem, because I then have to choose a new application to run and then exit out of it. I normally just choose terminal and type exit.

-God Ginrai

EvilDragon said:
Esn said:

I guess you've got some stuff with icons there. Try right-click on the menu and disable the icons.
No, the icons are and have always been disabled. It's been happening since HF5, I think. It also usually happens after I open the start menu after closing some other program. It's as if the system needs some memory to devote to something associated with the closing of the program (for about 5 seconds or so). It never happens on a newly-booted-up Pandora.

I can no longer exceed 800MHz when adjusting the CPU clock speed. (I used to pick around 850.) Is this normal?

^ Yes, sort of. The default length of the CPU Speed slider was changed from 900MHz to 800MHz. However, it can be changed.

There is now a secondary application called "CPU Settings" (it's in the Settings menu in Xfce, if memory serves), which will allow you to change the maximum clock-speed that the CPU Speed slider will allow you to pick. (And if you set this to the maximum that you know your Pandora can do, then there's never any danger of going over it. :lol: )

I cant extract the full flash version.
7Zip gives: "CRC failed in 'rootfs.img'. File is broken."
Windows 7's default extractor gives: "Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error"
Ubuntu's default extractor gives: "bad CRC 8058df78 (should be 3531cb5a)"

Tried re-downloading it three times and got same error every time.

Edit: Huh. Seems to have been a problem with Firefox. Downloaded with IE and it seems to work fine. Odd.

Back