Release Hotfix 6 RC released

hmmmm i don't get much the reason, but PCSX fails to run my psx games since i've updated to that rc1, it just crashes in a black screen and i have to do a hard reboot...

also, sound is gone in GNGEO

( EDIT: the PCSX crash is related to overcklocking, for reason the frequency i had set in the emulator has become too high so maybe the HF6 is just a bit less overcklockable... )

Last edited by a moderator:

You always need the correct kernel for the OS.

The full flash package has everything included, but you might want to grab it yourself if you install the OS on SD Card (but ONLY then).

Please forgive this noobish question but why do you need the Kernel to install on the SD card? and what do you do with it? I've had a look at the instructions for SD installer and could see no mention of the kernel and what to do with it.

Was also wondering if it could be possible to make an image of the OS that could be copied to an SD card and then run a pnd to set partition sizes, this would be a little more user friendly from the sound of it. There could also be an image complete with a selection of Pandora essentials pre installed, I imagine this sort of thing would go down well with reviewers and those looking for the ultimate 'out of the box' experience.

Looking forward to trying out the latest hotfix, many thanks to everyone involved for all their hard work with this. :)

you can always save home folder

e.g.

tar -czf home.tar /home

then untar home.tar into your new /home directory

Thanks, not seen that before.

Would it be possible to have this as an automated option during the reflashing process?

See the prior Beta1 release thread here http://boards.openpa...dpost__p__93477 and posts #83 from Dave1234 and post #85 from myself, where I explain where you might want to swap the Kernel over yourself.

Otherwise just use the SD installer as normal, making several partitions and it wil extract the correct kernel from the package anyway. You only need the seperate kernel if you do what I explain in post #85. Hope that helps.

Edit: In case its not clear what I'm dribbling on about.

1) If you wish to erase your NAND and install this latest beta of the OS. Grab the Full flashing version ED has offered and do as instructed.

2) If you wish to make a fresh SD card installation. Grab the SD install version and use it with Dave1234's SD Installer PND and you will create a new SD card with an EXT2 OS partition, a VFAT data partition and perhaps a SWAP partition. The correct kernel will be automatically unpacked by the SD installer.

3) If you've previously used the SD installer and just wish to replace the EXT2 OS partition only with the new beta OS. Then grab the SD Install version ED has offered. Then do not use the SD Installer PND but instead :

a) Format the EXT2 partition to blank EXT2.

b ) Use the terminal to copy the SD Install version of the Beta to that partition. Then untar it. Then delete the tar to get the space back.

c) Grab the Kernel file that ED offers and put it in the root of the VFAT data partition, so you have the correct Kernel to match the new OS beta.

d) If you had a SWAP partition it will no longer be active. So do as Dave1234 says here http://boards.openpa...dpost__p__75814 to re-enable it.

Always nice to have lots of options. I tend to do option 3 myself, as having to manually backup the VFAT Data partition of a large SD card and then re-fill it to the new VFAT partition made by choice 2 is a lengthy process manually. You can use imaging programs which is considerably faster but its still time consuming for me. So option 3 allows for a quick OS partition update and carry straight on, particularly if you tar up the Home dir to preserve many settings aswell.

Ok so how do i access dmesg to see if my wireless is working.I click on the lan icon and it says wireless being enabled but the wireless light never comes on on the pandora.I know i must input my wireless router key in the pandora again after the latest hotfix but the pandora is not connecting wirelessly.Anyone else have a problem with this? edit.Put the new hotfix on again.the wireless is still not working.

Now as well as my wireless lan not working my pandora isnt charging either its actually losing power.This is via usb charge or with the supplied charger.Anyone else have these problems?

Now as well as my wireless lan not working my pandora isnt charging either its actually losing power.This is via usb charge or with the supplied charger.Anyone else have these problems?

Wireless lan and charging are both working fine for me on HF6 RC.

Good luck.

Just reflashed after swapping my LCD cable. Audacious reports an ALSA error. "No suitable mixer element found." The sound still works, but I did notice I no longer have the level controls in the mixer that were in Hotfix 5. Deletion of the Audacious appdata folder made no difference with the error.

EDIT: Further reporting on the sound phenomena of this release. When a song finishes playing in Audacious, after roughly just under a minute of silence, a strange alien buzz emits from the speakers. With earphones in, the soft white noise just disappears after approximately the same amount of time, which seems normal. I am pretty sure I didn't hear that buzz from the speakers before in HF5, although I did just replace my LCD cable. Still, it seems to me more probably linked to an ALSA problem than hardware.

Thank you all for your hard work and the tweaks. I love the new OS options and vastly increased breathing room on the NAND. Some very mature choices have been made, and the Pandora improves as a device because of it. You already knew this, I just felt like reinforcing it anyway. :)

The buzz is something I hear everytime after playing audio, no matter what hotfix. But I could swear it happened first after the second repair. Well, I think ED explained once, that it has to do with the amplifier going into low power mode or something.

I know I read it somewhere else but I'm having a shutdown issue on this version. Holding the power switch should trigger shutdown(as it normally does) but now the shutdown message sequence simply cycles(4 3 2 1 etc) then restarts.

Another thing I noticed was I was using Panplayer last night and I could no longer bring up any on screen display indicators. Also pressing Space which should pause playback, brought me back to the Panplayer menu screen, while the video kept playing in the background?

I know I read it somewhere else but I'm having a shutdown issue on this version. Holding the power switch should trigger shutdown(as it normally does) but now the shutdown message sequence simply cycles(4 3 2 1 etc) then restarts.

same here

( EDIT: the PCSX crash is related to overcklocking, for reason the frequency i had set in the emulator has become too high so maybe the HF6 is just a bit less overcklockable... )
You probably had higher OPP (voltage) limit set before.

Just reflashed after swapping my LCD cable. Audacious reports an ALSA error. "No suitable mixer element found."
That's because HOME has been changed for PNDs, so they stop filling up NAND. I bet that also broke gngeo.

ED: We need to move .asoundrc to /etc/asound.conf , so it's system wide and HOME independent.

Did HF6 remove any gnome-dependencies from the image?

Gnome3dtetris doesn't seem to start up anymore.

Hey all,

Nice to hear about the new Firmware. I will test it as soon I have time. Big thanks for all!

But I also want to say something:

In short: Openpandora needs better information policy (is this the correct word?)

Im following Openpandora on Facebook, im following on Twitter and also have Newsletter subscribed.

So how can it be, that Im missing so much informations?

For example:

* TV Out-fixed (NTSC Composite was broken), included TV Out Configuration tool from Caine

[snip]

* Included drivers for RTL8712/8188/8191/8192SU/8192CU WLAN Sticks. This has been done for the WiFi-Less-Pandoras sold with a WiFi Stick.

There were Pandoras sold with Wifi stick? There are Wifiless Pandoras? o_O

And the TV cable is now buyable? Im waiting for months now and didnt know that.

It would be nice if someone can post such news on Twitter, Facebook or elsewhere.

I (and I thing much others) cant follow this forum every day only to be up to date.

Maybe you should follow the newssection and pandorapress, if you want these kinds of information.

Did HF6 remove any gnome-dependencies from the image?

Gnome3dtetris doesn't seem to start up anymore.

Not that I'm aware off, but something seems to be missing with sound as well, this is something I need to check.

Back