How About This To Go With Your Gp2x!!

fkn cool!!!!! if it works with my gp2x im definatley investing :D

I have something similar to these, except mine are a lot bulkier, and are probably a bit lower resolution.

That doesn't bother me, though, as they only cost me $36.

bernwa posted on Oct 9 2006 at 12:04 PM said:
fkn cool!!!!! if it works with my gp2x im definatley investing :D

Well, they are supposed to work with an xbox, ps2, etc. So I guess any device that has a tv-out should do the trick. It looks very interesting. For the Dutch visitors...see Inkoopactie

Last edited by a moderator:
Do some research before dropping your cash, since this particular deal will burn you pretty badly. 212gbp / nearly 400 usd is an enormous amount of cash, and a good 320x240 HMD can be had for <$200 if you shop around, especially used on eBay. Usually >$300 is reserved, usually, for very high end models, or anything by Sony (because well, they're Sony. Their shit is always expensive) .. 640x480 VGA compatible units. This one is comparatively low-end but ultra-expensive.

Also note, these generally need their own power supply, batteries or a brick. Plus, when using TV-Out, your battery life will probably be cut in half. So if your video is 320x240 already, expect ~2 hours on good NiMH cells. If it's not 320x240, expect 1 hour or less...

EDIT: I also cannot find a single review about these things, and I've never heard of the manufacturer. I'd buy one from a well known maker and find some good reviews before you buy something that costs more than 2 GP2Xs.

Epicenter posted on Oct 9 2006 at 01:12 PM said:
Do some research before dropping your cash, since this particular deal will burn you pretty badly. 212gbp / nearly 400 usd is an enormous amount of cash, and a good 320x240 HMD can be had for <$200 if you shop around, especially used on eBay. Usually >$300 is reserved, usually, for very high end models, or anything by Sony (because well, they're Sony. Their shit is always expensive) .. 640x480 VGA compatible units. This one is comparatively low-end but ultra-expensive.

Also note, these generally need their own power supply, batteries or a brick. Plus, when using TV-Out, your battery life will probably be cut in half. So if your video is 320x240 already, expect ~2 hours on good NiMH cells. If it's not 320x240, expect 1 hour or less...

Well, do some research before being just looking at one site. I sent this url as it was in English. If you look at that page you see that it is a 149, gbp deal, not 212...

And all the Dutch visitors who take a look at the dutch url see a deal for 220 euro's.

Also i wasn't saying it was Utopia,heaven, walhala or whatever. Just that i would be the coolest idea to have a gadget like this to go with your GP2X.

And by the way....if all you ever got out of your GP2X is 2 hours, then you don't really have good batteries. I get 4 to 5 hours easily out of a good set of 2600 mah Nimh's and 3 to 4 on tv-out.

Don't be such a b*tch when someone sees something nice they want to share with the community....

I have still got my Olympus Eye Treks which I'm sure have the same resolution as these - also the Olympus came with a wireless video sending unit so you could take your wireless xbox controller and finish that halo level on the loo - now had sad is that

I have used the Olympus Eye Treks on the GP2X and they work pretty well - the only thing about these devices is that you look a complete loon waving your head all over the place.

mrdremel posted on Oct 9 2006 at 12:19 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Oct 9 2006 at 01:12 PM said:

Well, do some research before being just looking at one site. I sent this url as it was in English. If you look at that page you see that it is a 149, gbp deal, not 212...

And all the Dutch visitors who take a look at the dutch url see a deal for 220 euro's.

Also i wasn't saying it was Utopia,heaven, walhala or whatever. Just that i would be the coolest idea to have a gadget like this to go with your GP2X.

And by the way....if all you ever got out of your GP2X is 2 hours, then you don't really have good batteries. I get 4 to 5 hours easily out of a good set of 2600 mah Nimh's and 3 to 4 on tv-out.

Don't be such a b*tch when someone sees something nice they want to share with the community....

My vision's bad enough already, no need to put an LCD under my glasses...

- Alex

I think I saw these reviewed in a gaming magazine. They said they worked as advertised but the price point was a little steep, and screen quality wasn't that well

mrdremel posted on Oct 9 2006 at 05:19 AM said:

#1, I will admit you are right the price is lower than 212gbp, but 149gbp is still an enormous amount of money for this product. If you pay that much you should be getting a high-end 640x480 product, not a low-end 320x240 one.

#2, Am I allowed to state the problems with such a device without you flying off the fucking handle? Or is any response besides 'OMG I'LL BUY ONE RIGHT NOW' inappropriate? I stated the other side of the issue so no one wastes their money, as there are people already preparing to rush out and buy one on insufficient information.

#3, My batteries are fine. I'm giving you reported battery life by other GP32X users. What you're actually doing with the unit will greatly affect your battery life-- if you are playing a MegaDrive emulator, 3-4 hours on TV-Out is logical. That's the ARM920T and TV out hardware engaged. If you are playing VIDEO which is what this seems to be more ideal for, you have the ARM920T, ARM940T, MPEG4 decoder, TV Out hardware and potentially the scaler involved, which entails an enormous battery life hit. This is very common information.

#4, Don't be a fucking over-emotional assclown when someone provides constructive criticism to keep people from being ripped off.

Vimacs posted on Oct 9 2006 at 11:59 AM said:
Calm down...
I'm not upset. Just saying, if you're going to spend money on this, it should be $150 or less on eBay for a new one from a company you've heard of, than $300 to a company you haven't..

Epicenter posted on Oct 9 2006 at 09:30 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Oct 9 2006 at 11:59 AM said:
Calm down...
I'm not upset. Just saying, if you're going to spend money on this, it should be $150 or less on eBay for a new one from a company you've heard of, than $300 to a company you haven't..

What are those things called, anyway? I'm trying to find some from e-bay, but have no idea what to look for... No hits so far, with "lcd glasses" and such...

subcon959 posted on Oct 9 2006 at 04:23 PM said:
It does look pretty cool but that price is a little much.

Epicenter, please provide links to the alternatives you have suggested.

Here are some links Ive found for this post:

Links to sites with HMDs:

HMD page

Another HMD page

YAHMD page

This site has ratings and reviews of many VR goggle/HMD type units:

Ratings and Reviews of HMD units

I hope this is helpful, Im reading through them all myself right now to better understnd the tech before discusssing further.

Some of these products can be unbelievably pricey. Like defence budget stuff. There seems to be some overlap in pricing but in general you get what you pay for. The pricing for the vr goggles originally posted seems about mean for the market.

On the surface, Epicenters concerns considering price/limitations of these devices seems quite valid. The lower end ones with 320/240 resolution would get the best battery life; the ones with higher resolutons would involve extensive use of the rescaling chip, which in my experience, does roughly cut the battery life in half. I myself get 2-3 hrs when viewing rescaled higher resolution video on my GP2X using 2650 MAH batteries. I get about 4.5-5 hrs from them when not using the rescaling chip.

Beat me to the punch! They're called HMDs or Head-Mounted Displays. Searching eBay for "HMD" or "Head mounted display" should turn up a nice array of choices, some to be had for $150 or less. Orrrr .. 79 gbp or less.

Epicenter posted on Oct 9 2006 at 06:13 PM said:
Beat me to the punch! They're called HMDs or Head-Mounted Displays. Searching eBay for "HMD" or "Head mounted display" should turn up a nice array of choices, some to be had for $150 or less. Orrrr .. 79 gbp or less.

Sorry Epicenter! :eek: I was just trying to be helpful.

While I have been researching these HMD units, I came across the following facts concerning resolutions stated in their advertisements. This is taken verbatim from the bottom of the review site I posted; and was most enlightening. Another thing to consider when looking to buy HMD's.

[Begin Clip]

THE TRUTH ABOUT HMD'S AND RESOLUTION:

Resolution per panel/eye Products:

1024*768*3=2.359.296 pixel Kaiser ProViewXL
800*600*3=1.440.000 pixel Sony Glasstron LDI-D100BE
640*480*3=921.600 pixel i-glasses Protec
263*230*3=181.470 pixel (180k) VFX-1, i-glasses, CyberMaxx, Scuba, EyeTrek, Sony LDI-D50BE

180k-pixel that's what most (consumer) HMDs offer!
Are you happy with that? I guess not!

The resolution of a HMD might be less impressing than the specs indicate at first. The LCD panels usually used in consumer HMD's offer a resolution of 789 x 230=181.470 pixels per eye. That sounds quite good, but it's not. They use 3 pixels (red, green and blue) to produce one colored pixel. So the true resolution is 263 x 230. There are professional products out there with 1920 x 480, this should equal true 640 x 480.

[end clip]

Hmmmmm......This would mean to replicate the GP2X's native 320x240 resolution with the same clarity, the HMD would have to be 960x720??

WoW! My GP2X's native resolution is looking better all the time! :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just mount my GP2X inside a welding helmet with a magnetic plate a'la Evildragons car mod, and use headphones. Then let me see those annoying people on the bus or airplane want to have a conversation with me!

It would also be a "progressive" form of birth control.......lol :p

Back