How Close To Excellence Are The Emulators Now?

bacteria

Modder & Portablizer
Website
moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com
Been away from the GP2x scene for a while, I dip my toes over here sometimes though, but not often like I used to, hence this post.

I know this is lazy, but I was wondering how great all the emulators are now for the GP2x; and the best ones for each platform. When I last used a GP2x emulator (over a year now), the system needed overclocking on many applications, still not getting things working without frameskip (eg SNES, GBA, MegaDrive, NeoGeo, etc). I am sure things have improved with later revisions (and how)!?

I'm getting a PSP 3000 in a couple of months, I understand it is very hard to downgrade the firmware to run emulation, so thought about using my GP2x again for emulation and just using the PSP with lots of cheap UMD games you can get these days!); hence this topic posted. Might be worth blowing the dust off my GP2x (literally) and using it again, although would get some decent Li-ions in there to replace the lousy AA cells it uses...

So guys, which are the best emulators per platform on the GP2x, how good are they, do they need overclocking, framskipping, no screen tear, no crackly audio, etc??

Also, how much better was the mod for TV output in real terms - steadier picture, less colour bleeding, etc? Easy to set up and forget? links?

Thanks!

;)

You should have absolutely no problems with Megadrive, use Picodrive. You didn't ask for it but PC-Engine should be fine now too </plug>. I don't think SNES has changed much and GBA is only slightly better right now. I don't know about NeoGeo, I think last I heard it was running well.

Yeah, Exophase's Temper TG16 emulator is pretty awesome :)

I hadn't heard about this TV-out "mod"..

But, I did a huge amount of work on TV output on the software side of things for the Open2X firmware's DR6/7 releases:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,2751

Also included in Open2X now is direct control of the GP2X from any USB gamepad, completely customizable too and works 100% with anything and everything with no lag. Exophase gave me a portion of the idea after I discovered how you can manipulate GPIO lines in unexpected ways.

You'd be pretty crazy not to install it (dunno if you were around then bacteria, I thought you were actually)

Open2X is a lot better in regards to TV out, at least on my NTSC TV. Not sure about PAL, though.

SNES is excellent, but still not quite "there" on some games, mostly ones that use Mode7 or transparencies, and the SuperFX games. Games with special chips are now emulated, so yay for SMRPG and the Megaman games! :D

The rest have improved a bit from what I can see, but I mostly use mine for SNES and GBA, so I would not know in detail.

buy a wiz. the snes emulator on the wiz is really near perfect for any games. even fzero run at 100% speed and 45-50fps. gba emu faster too. and the screen quality is awesome, cant compare a oled screen to a lcd.

Back