How "cutting Edge" Are The Pandora's Components?

sebt3 said:
The CPU isn't actually used in any device out.
The screen is the best on the market for this size.
You have the cuting-edge feature for these size of device :
- wifi
- bluetouth
- web-browser
- etc

From memory,
the processor is used in the Archos 5
the screen in the Archos 605
even tiny phones have wifi
even tiny phones have bluetooth
many mini devices have web browsers
etc

Thats not what makes Pandora stand out and 'cutting edge'.
What I think separate Pandora and could be called cutting edge is sticking all of these, and other capabilities into such a small computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
TaG said:
sebt3 said:
The CPU isn't actually used in any device out.
The screen is the best on the market for this size.
You have the cuting-edge feature for these size of device :
- wifi
- bluetouth
- web-browser
- etc

From memory,
the processor is used in the Archos 5
the screen in the Archos 605
even tiny phones have wifi
even tiny phones have bluetooth
many mini devices have web browsers
etc

Thats not what makes Pandora stand out and 'cutting edge'.
What I think separate Pandora and could be called cutting edge is sticking all of these, and other capabilities into such a small computer.
As noted previously in this thread, the Archos uses a different OMAP processor.

"cutting edge" components cost cutting edge prices.

$330 is a STEAL considering this thing will trounce my Zaurus that cost over twice a much. It even costs less than my G1 :D

cbox said:
It was noted, but that note is not necessarily accurate ;)

After some fairly exhaustive searching, it looks as though nobody knows exactly what chip is in the Archos 5 and Archos 7 PMPs. Archos themselves never specify beyond saying that it has an OMAP3 with a Cortex A8 processor. There are four chips in the OMAP35xx family, so it could be any of those. There is a lot of supposition as to which chip it uses, but no reliable proof.

Chip said:
cbox said:

After some fairly exhaustive searching, it looks as though nobody knows exactly what chip is in the Archos 5 and Archos 7 PMPs. Archos themselves never specify beyond saying that it has an OMAP3 with a Cortex A8 processor. There are four chips in the OMAP35xx family, so it could be any of those. There is a lot of supposition as to which chip it uses, but no reliable proof.
Doesn't the Archos 5 series date back to before the same processor we use in the Pandora was even available?

Chip said:
cbox said:

"- Main processor: ARM CortexTM-A8, 32 bit, In-order, dual-issue, superscalar core @ 600 MHz
- Additional processor: 32 bit DSP @ 430 MHz "

The C64x+ is only in the 3525 and 3530. The difference between the two is the SGX, which I'm guessing it doesn't have. Archos 5 is $350 - slightly more than Pandora. It's lacking in controls, RAM, and presumably 3D graphics, but has 60GB of storage (that model anyway) and a 4.8" screen.

Exophase said:
Chip said:
cbox said:

"- Main processor: ARM CortexTM-A8, 32 bit, In-order, dual-issue, superscalar core @ 600 MHz
- Additional processor: 32 bit DSP @ 430 MHz "

The C64x+ is only in the 3525 and 3530. The difference between the two is the SGX, which I'm guessing it doesn't have. Archos 5 is $350 - slightly more than Pandora. It's lacking in controls, RAM, and presumably 3D graphics, but has 60GB of storage (that model anyway) and a 4.8" screen.

@Chip: yeh i tried to find out which omap3 but turned up nothing i even asked around some irc channels to people who should know about that stuff.

@Exophase: i tried deduction too and came up with the same thing

one question tho, the 800mhz cortex a8 in the omap 3440 is it the same overclocked or stock ?

edit: in theory how the does the omap 3530 compares to the tegra

Ryuu said:
one question tho, the 800mhz cortex a8 in the omap 3440 is it the same overclocked or stock ?

edit: in theory how the does the omap 3530 compares to the tegra

I don't know if the A8 cores in the 3430 and 3530 are exactly the same, but they are close enough as makes no difference from the user's standpoint. The A8 does not really have a default clock speed. Anything up to and including 900MHz is technically within spec. It is entirely up to the manufacturer to choose a clock speed for their device based on speed and power requirements.

As to the Tegra, it's a bit hard to say with the limited available info. The CPU is an ARM11 core in the 600-800MHz range, which is a generation behind the A8 and significantly slower clock-for-clock. Think 2Ghz P4 compared to 2GHz Core 2. Not much is known about the graphics core. We know it is OpenGL ES 2.0 compatible and will do HD h.264 playback. There is no benchmark data available for 3D performance yet, but it is probably in the same ballpark as the SGX.

Thnx chip, Maybe its just that ive always bought nvidia gpu's for my desktop and my lappy that ive come to think of nvidia as the only people who know about graphics hardware.. but it seems nvidia are going to try and ressurect winmo push the tegras along with it ¬¬

Back