How did you here about the GP32?

crazeeplaya

That's the way I like it
I was just wondering how everyone heard about the GP32. I saw it mentioned on Digitiser, a now defunct :( teletext games page

How about you guys & girls?

i was after an mp3 player. And when about to order off ebuyer looked at the 128mb smart media cards + saw some1 say gp32 and i was like. fwooom head click clikc. And then pursued to find out what it was. + then i was like mega igakumon fwooom + i was like blimey + so i bought 1 in a spur of a moment kind of thing was cool + all 'new age'

I was at lik-sang.com and I about to order a GBA SP along with a 128MB flash cart when I saw it on the main page. Naturally I did some research and decided to buy it just for the SNES emulation (at that time the readme.txt said 100% sound and speed, I didn't know he was just joking around...). I was kinda disappointed when I first got it but now that I see all these new full-speed emulators and what's to come, I definitely must say it was worth it.

i saw it at GBAX when i bought a flash card for my gba.

with all the talk of snes emulation on the GBA boards i got real excited, and thought i could have snes emulation straight away.

slightly wrong, but jesus........ did i know what i was letting myself in for?

was slightly peeved when the snes emu diddn't work to well, but then i discoverd the pc engine and never looked back.

gotta say that the gp32 community is the best in the world!

you chaps are real legends! :D

I was looking to buy a GBA with linker and blank carts, saw a website with a GP32 on it and was blown away by it.

This was in June 2002 and have used it constantly since, I have 5 128Mb SMC's all full of my favourite games over the last 20 years.

Saw it in Edge magazine, and then a year later met an old friend in Newcastle who told me about it. After some research I sold my GBA SP....and now I'm complete as a gamer and a person.

After bouncin from website to website lookin 4 the best deal on a ezf-advance 256 set (this was a few weeks ago), i ended up in gbax.com, scrolled a lil down a saw it, read the review and the rest is history...im still waiting for it though, ordered it yesterday :lol:

I was searchin' throuhg lik-sang and I found it and then I had to have it. I mean mp3's, games and video all in one handheld that lookks like a gameboy. I thought it was pricey and lik-sang is, so i got mine from play-asia.com. It has so many better deals I cant believe it.

Like a lot of people, I was looking at the GBA flash kit. I believe it was on play-asia. I have the attention span of a lemur on crank, so I was easily distracted by other stuff on the site, including the GP32. This was several months ago.

I slowly grew bored with my GBA and the crap games available for it, and kept thinking about the GP. I started to dig up as much info as I could (including lurking on this board. Finally one day I decided it was worth it and bought one from play-asia with 2 128 meg cards.

Well, I'd become curious about portable emulation (and had also been considering an MP3 player). So I downloaded PocketNes, tried it on a GBA emulator, deemed it Cool, and started researching a Flash Linker. I found that, not only were they hideously expensive for what they were (I know of nothing other than NES ROMs that I'd be using it for), they were a pain in the arse to use, with incompatibility problems and such. That and the screen looked like crap, what with the squishing.

So I got to thinking about this odd little device called the GamePark that a few dedicated souls on GameFAQs were evangelizing. NES, TG16, MP3, SMS, SCUMM, movies, Doom, and someday, Genesis and SNES? Well slap my arse and call me Daisy. >_> It was just as expensive, but it did so much more as to justify the expense. So I signed on--I bought a GP, and an SMC, intimately familiarized myself with the fiddly registration (it went smoothly for me, but I can see why so many people had so much trouble), and waited. When I got it and tried it, I was a tiny bit disappointed at first, NES emulation being rather pathetic back then, but I had the marvelousness of GPEngine, SCUMM, Doom, MP3s, and later Moviepark to keep me busy. And as for NES emulation, well, things change pretty fast, it would seem. ;)

The only downside nowadays is it's turned me into a spoiled little monster. I'm so eager for fGen and SNES9xGP to get up to the level of LittleJohn and company, and ROTT or Duke Nukem to be ported, and why the @#$% won't Id Software release the source code to Commander Keen so I can pester you all with it, and I hope GPEngine will support TGCD ISOs someday (first thing I thought of when I tried it)...heh. ;)

What a coincidence, Wilek...the PocketNES also got me interested in getting a GBA Flash Linker set, which ended me up at www.gbax.com, and into the waiting arms of the Gamepark 32. I've given my GBA to my little brother since then.

Someone posted a comment about the GP32 on a forum at www.heise.de - I looked for information the whole day and forgot to go to work :eek:

I read about the GP32's release a long time ago, like maybe a few years, and I thought "ok, that sounds like it could be good...but I will wait and see"...and I did. I am a collector of consoles and the like, so part of the motivation was getting something nobody else had...I didn't have any influence from reviews or the like. I just wanted to make sure the dev scene had changed since I last saw it - and it had.

I saw the GP32 first about 2 years ago on a site called "Portable Game Systems" , www.haller.uz/portables I think. The site showed all of the traditional portables as well as some weird stuff that I had never seen before (like the Sega Nomad, which I soon bought). One of these things was the GP32. The site mysteriously disappeared about a year ago, and I could never contact the author to find out what had happened to it.

However, I was on the official Gamepark english message board (now, unfortunately, RIP) back when they were using that grey, machine-like design and the website said that a GBA emulator and web browser was included in the hardware. :rolleyes:
I don't think there were even any English GP32 fansites in existance yet... I know, I searched, believe me; just a couple of stale news articles. :huh:

I remember the GP32 being delayed again and again, until it could no longer claim the title of "world's 1st 32-bit handheld" because the GBA was already released.
I also remember seeing that post on the official Gamepark message board when the plans for the final version of the GP were shown.

And look at me now; I still haven't gotten my GP. :lol:
Being the cheapass that I am, I'm waiting until the European release so that the price will drop. :D
Shipping and its price is kind of expensive in Canada, and I'm not exactly rich enough for it, especially when I know that I only have to wait a few more months. ;)
(I bought my Dreamcast when they were costing $50)

Hopefully, the European release should be coming soon, unless this European company cancels its contract with Gamepark like the last one did. <_<

Back