How do I fix the Pink Screen?

Eric Jardim

Still Fresh
Hi,

My (first batch) Pandora started to present this "pink screen" phenomena. I am not very sure if it is pink ou purple because I am actually color blind, but the fact is that it is not working properly.

This phenomena happens when the lid is not fully opened. Sometimes even when it is fully opened it happens and I have to force the hinge to open even more than 180 degree (ouch). The trick I do is to use a thick piece of paper between the screen and the keyboard, forcing it to stay opened at maximum angle.

Although this workaround keeps me with a working Pandora, I think the problem is getting worse and soon I will get fully pink screen or even worse (black screen).

I suspect this have to do with the problematic LCD cables EvilDragon talked about somewhere.

The questions are:

(1) how do I fix it definetely? I am not very happy of sending my Pandora back to England as I use it everyday. Instead, I tought that you could send/sell me a spare LCD cable with instruction of how to replace it.

If it needs some welding or eletronic abilities, I found some guys at my city that think they can replace it for me for a few bucks.

(2) Will batch 2 suffer this problem? I have a second Pandora waiting for me, but I want to give this (first batch) to my child, but not with pink screen.

Thanks,

(1) RMA. WizardStan wasted 7 cables out of 8 trying to replace a damaged one. AND trying to do it will void your warranty.
Nuh uh, I bought 6 cables figuring I could waste 5 and it would still be cheaper for everyone than sending it back for RMA.

Got it first try, I've still got those 5 spare :D

Broke the zif connector though, so had to use a piece of card and some electrical tape to keep it connected. :(

If you're feeling bold, spare cables can be purchased here.

(1) RMA. WizardStan wasted 7 cables out of 8 trying to replace a damaged one. AND trying to do it will void your warranty.

edit: i sent mine 3 weeks ago. Abstinence made me buy a second hand unit :unsure: :p :lol:

Hmm, maybe I should wait for the second unit before sending it for RMA.

My fear is that the warranty can expire before it arrives :blink: !?!?!

I live in the UK. I started getting the Purple Screen of Impending Doom about a month ago - so I eventually sent it to EvilDragon in Germany for repair, as he is better suited to repairing this fault than Craig's people are. It took less than two weeks, one week for the UK Royal Mail to get it out the country and another couple of days for shipping back to the UK.

D.

Nuh uh, I bought 6 cables figuring I could waste 5 and it would still be cheaper for everyone than sending it back for RMA.

Broke the zif connector though, so had to use a piece of card and some electrical tape to keep it connected. :(

And all good, as in no problems ever since?

And all good, as in no problems ever since?
Other than the broken zif connector, yeah. Sometimes I have to squeeze the top left side of my case a bit to get the cable to connect again, but that's my own fault.

How hard was it to open the top half? You were able to open it without damaging anything? It looks like hell to get apart...

Last edited by a moderator:
How hard was it to open the top half? You were able to open it without damaging anything? It looks like hell to get apart...
It requires gently prying things apart, wedging a thin screwdriver into it, and hitting it with the heel of your hand to pop out the hinge. Then the whole thing snaps apart pretty easily. Not something you want to do regularly, but if you're patient and careful shouldn't be a problem.

I just started seeing this problem myself, but after poking and prodding the back of the flip screen in order to better understand the problem, the colors started to display correctly regardless of how open it is.

My main concern is that this 'accidental fix' is only temporary - should I probably RMA it anyway or just stick with it hoping it doesn't happen again?

I generally don't mind taking things apart, but I don't want to void my warranty, and I know that not all console repairs are as easy as calibrating the Dreamcast's disc drive.

I'm a bit curious. How many of the shipped Pandoras have NOT needed RMA or at least replacement parts? :blink:

I'm a bit curious. How many of the shipped Pandoras have NOT needed RMA or at least replacement parts? :blink:

We don't know - only a small subsection of Pandora owners post here, though of those that do pretty much all of them have. To re-tread tired ground... This is a learning experience for the team. They've never done this before, and their inexperience manifests itself as substandard parts and delays in manufacturing. This will get better as time goes by, but they're no Nintendo or Sony - they don't have the resources for intensive testing of multiple prototype units, sadly.

D.

We don't know - only a small subsection of Pandora owners post here, though of those that do pretty much all of them have. To re-tread tired ground... This is a learning experience for the team. They've never done this before, and their inexperience manifests itself as substandard parts and delays in manufacturing. This will get better as time goes by, but they're no Nintendo or Sony - they don't have the resources for intensive testing of multiple prototype units, sadly.

D.

I think the part of the problem is the Cost vs Gain on the purchase of a Pandora. You spend $330-$550 for a item, there comes a certain reasonable expectation on it's durability and continued functionality. Everyone here that has written more then 5 posts understands the team's plight. It does not negate the very human nature of I paid for something and A. I want it. B. I want to play with it. C. I want the thing to last more then a month or two. D. I want to feel I got my money's worth out of it. E. If it breaks I don't want to wait a year to get it back (figuratively). Throughout this forum and the Handheld Community some people are feeling they are not getting some or all of the above. I'm hooked and I won't leave I have suffered some of the same plight as the Devs so I understand. I would advise to those who are considering on canceling your order...don't. It will come and it will be great. You will be able to say your one of the first to get a great device. Thanks

Back