How Do I Get Rights To Download And Play Games ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Lee

Still Fresh
Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

MAME is available at no cost, including its source code, it is not open-source software or free software because commercial use and redistribution are prohibited. That is, its license does not meet the conditions of the Open Source Definition, nor is it "free software" as defined by the Free Software Foundation.

Jason Lee said:
Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator
Uh what? I see you edited your post but what the hell were you babbling about?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the original post ...

Something about how to download games for MAME when you are not entitled to.

Some games are legally playable on MAME .. the rest is up to you <_<

Google and have a look and then let your morals decide ...

Edit: his original post is back in full now ... had been changed to a one liner before

Try using public domain and mame in google

Unfortunately most MAME roms are still copyrighted despite a lot have no viable commercial opportunities anymore.

You will only find a few free public domain games. The rest you will have to buy PCB boards etc to be fully legal.

There are many ways to get legal rights to ROMs; I've ranted on it dozens of times and no time right now to do it, but there are. ie: Rip the rom yourself from a cart or PCB, get a commercial emu that includes the roms (ie: PSX emus in the bargain bin), read NES roms from the cards you could feed into GBAs, read the dot pattern games using a scanner from various playing card versions, etc etc.. there have been occasionally websites selling the rights too, such as StarROMs selling Atari ROMs, but they've gone under.

jeff

if I start downloading a MAME game/rom (covered by copyright)

will I get a message ? (I can't download it)

Just send me a list of the games you want and I'll send you prices. Once I get the money I'll send you some EULA's.

:ph34r:

That's a joke.

Search google for: abandonware, legal roms, uptight foxes, etc.

i bought 5000 arcade machines and then ripped the roms from the pcb boards (( it was hard this bit )) ...i then dug a big whole and buried the machines forever..... evil lol....

Jason Lee said:

No, you won't get a message, but you may get threatened with court action some time later on ;)

I dont think its too bad in the eyes of the law if you download them. I think its when you upload them the real trouble starts.

Squidge said:
Jason Lee said:

No, you won't get a message, but you may get threatened with court action some time later on ;)

avoid downloading MAME (court action)

Atari Lynx / ST copyright ?

Commodore C64 / Amiga copyright ?

NEC PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 copyright ?

Sega Game Gear / Genesis / Master System / Mega-CD copyright ?

SNES copyright ?

SNK Neo Geo copyright ?

if a game got copyright no point in downloading it (court action)

It's illegal to download pretty much any game that you could ever buy for any gaming system.

Jason, I just got a phone call from someone, apparently you are being watched online and the FEDS ARE COMING FOR YOU.

The Feds have powers to enter any country in the world and take whoever they like. Watch out for a large american police car coming to your house.

It is a crime to just think about downloading these games and you have broken that law.

I'd try to erase your mind somehow if I were you. Hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back