How Easy It Is To Type On?

MDave said:
Can't help but feel like having a keyboard on the Pandora is made redundant when all the posts I'm reading here are discussing alternative external keyboards to use. Why did the community want one when their going to use bigger external ones? :blink:
Because the ones that want to use a large external keyboard are in the minority, or they're planning on using it for times when extended typing is good, but the built in keyboard for most quick things.

Last edited by a moderator:
The keyboard looks better than the one on the N900, for virtue of the extra rows (so you have to use less function key combinations) and also the spacing. I don't know about the feel, things such as travel, etc.

I bought an iGo / Think Outside Stowaway Keyboard the other day in preparation for the Pandora, it appears as a Standard HIG compliant Bluetooth device and so'll work on the Pandora with no fuss. Good size, it's like typing on a laptop keyboard albeit with less keys, and yet remains compact - perhaps look into it if you're planning on doing serious work with it. I'm planning on using it on trains and during lectures for essays and note taking.

Wookiee said:
How about a chording keyboard? One of the testimonials for the Twiddler claims to have written a thesis with his!
I'd never heard of these before but it sounds like my worst nightmare!

Chewi said:
Wookiee said:
How about a chording keyboard? One of the testimonials for the Twiddler claims to have written a thesis with his!
I'd never heard of these before but it sounds like my worst nightmare!

Instead of having a large number of keys you have a small number where you type by holding chords like on a guitar. I've never used one and it looks like you need some determination to get the hang of it.

http://www.handykey.com/
http://www.gkos.net/

Just get an Apple Remote keyboard, the small one .. its comfortable and very portable, and light too .. combined with the Pandora when you absolutely have to type a lot, it should be just fine ..

Of course the Pandora keyboard is going to be very interesting once it finally arrives. I hope it can handle chording, also, no?

WizardStan said:
MDave said:
Can't help but feel like having a keyboard on the Pandora is made redundant when all the posts I'm reading here are discussing alternative external keyboards to use. Why did the community want one when their going to use bigger external ones? :blink:
Because the ones that want to use a large external keyboard are in the minority, or they're planning on using it for times when extended typing is good, but the built in keyboard for most quick things.

WizardStan hit the nail on the head. I'm getting another keyboard for extended sessions. When I write a paper or fill out multiple forms I will use an external, when I'm answering tweets, Facebook, most emails, etc, I'll be using the onboard keyboard.

torpor said:
Just get an Apple Remote keyboard, the small one .. its comfortable and very portable, and light too .. combined with the Pandora when you absolutely have to type a lot, it should be just fine ..

Of course the Pandora keyboard is going to be very interesting once it finally arrives. I hope it can handle chording, also, no?
I don't remember where I read this, but I think the keyboard only supports multiple simultaneous presses on the function/modifier keys and gamepad.

Lunatic said:
torpor said:

I don't remember where I read this, but I think the keyboard only supports multiple simultaneous presses on the function/modifier keys and gamepad.
I recall that you can have any combination pressed on the gamepad and up to two at a time on the keyboard (any of the keys, not just the function/modifier keys).

Wookiee said:
Instead of having a large number of keys you have a small number where you type by holding chords like on a guitar. I've never used one and it looks like you need some determination to get the hang of it.
http://www.handykey.com/
http://www.gkos.net/

If that doesn't give you RSI then nothing will... It is a very good idea though.

I have a 3-row Bluetooth portable keyboard (I think it's from Stowaway), and it folds into a pretty small size. It's very usable, and I definitely plan to use it with the Pandora.

If you want a pricey, mechanical keyboard, check out the Happy Hacking Keyboard.

"Laser keyboards" are über crap. Check out youtube videos of those, they suck enormously and are a total waste of money. Could well imagine that they eat batteries like no other keyboard does. They're something to show off, that's all.

cobaltage said:
I have a 3-row Bluetooth portable keyboard (I think it's from Stowaway), and it folds into a pretty small size. It's very usable, and I definitely plan to use it with the Pandora.
This. Got one, too. Stowaway ultra-slim, the brand was thinkOutside, now called iGo. I can't mention often enough how awesome it is to touch-type with it. Most of the time I actually get a lower error rate than when using my fullsize keyboard, my fingers seem to like it a lot.

MDave, it's about touch-typing, you'll never ever get that usability out of the Panda's keyboard. It's suitable for notes, browsing and some chatting. It was designed for thumb-typing.
I expect it to highly annoy me when wanting to quickly write along during classes or meetings, i.e. serious text input.
Don't get me wrong guys, I am very happy about the Pandora's keyboard and I am convinced it'll do what it's designed for very well. It just wasn't designed for touch-typing.

kuru said:
cobaltage said:

This. Got one, too. Stowaway ultra-slim, the brand was thinkOutside, now called iGo. I can't mention often enough how awesome it is to touch-type with it. Most of the time I actually get a lower error rate than when using my fullsize keyboard, my fingers seem to like it a lot.

I third the choice of that keyboard, as I've already said. It's probably the best designed portable Bluetooth keyboard I've seen out there, strangely no longer in production.

VRAndy said:
Problem with the laser keyboards is that you can't feel the keys. So even though it's roughly full sized, you can't touch-type.
The solution to this problem is as elegant as it is simple: just use a Class 4 laser, and you WILL feel the keys :D

Back