How Much Better Is The Wiz

azeluk

Still Fresh
So I've got myself a gp2x f200 and although I was a little dissapointed to start with I did more research and took your advice from here on the forum and I'm now hooked (literally I take it everywhere) but I'm now looking towards my next open source so is the wiz much better at console emulation? For instance can it run starfox without slowdown or should I go for the caanoo or gcw zero.

The Wiz is a fantastic machine with a beautiful, beautiful screen. It doesn't really do much better than the GP2X software-wise and the screen is slightly smaller. The battery (built in) is much better as are the controls. However, it has one pretty big problem (depending on software) and that's screen tearing. Some games when scrolling or if there's fast movements tear the screen diagonally - it's quite noticeable at times, but it's something you get used to. To be fair, most of the newer software did not have this problem as devs overcame it, but it does still plague some games and apps. However the fix also takes CPU time away from the software, potentially slowing it down.

The Cannoo is another really nice machine (you didn't mention it above) and I actually prefer it (comfort-wise) to the Wiz and the GP2X machines. But it lacks the Wiz's excellent screen, but like the Wiz does have a built in battery, which is a big plus over the GP2X. The Cannoo is everything the GP2X F00 should have been. It also features a nice analogue stick.

You would be pretty lucky if you can get a Wiz nowadays - they are pretty rare beasts, however you are much more likely to get a Caanoo.

As for GCW it looks like an excellent machine, but it's lacking software at the moment and several emulators. I don't have one so can't comment on software slowdown etc.

Well here's my predicament I'm currently watching a wiz and a caanoo both are well priced I'm literally only looking for emulation, which is the best?

If I had to go for only one, I'd go for the Caanoo - especially if you've got shovels for hands; you'll find it more comfortable to hold, the thumbstick is better than the Wiz's D-Pad.

Sweet cheers buddy, one thing though how's the snes emulation on it? Can it one Super fx games.

performance wise Caanoo and the Wiz are the same, super nes games that use the special chips can have slowdown but some are playable like street fighter alpha 2 and the megaman x games . dirt trax fx and starfox are probably unplayable.

The only thing I don't like about the Wiz's screen is the color depth.  Videos and images all look like they're being rendered with 16-bit color, to me.  Not a problem on most emulators of classic systems, of course, but it is a bit distracting if you're trying to watch a video or something.

I don't think I've ever watched a vid on my Wiz, so never saw the screen as anything but a positive.

While handhelds are great for games, their screens are just too small for me to really enjoy a movie etc.

Back