How powerful will the Pyra be?

It better be powerful enough to emulate even the Sega Saturn, a console not many things successfully emulate flawlessly.

In terms of power, yes, but saturn emulators are not advanced enough yet to offer flawless emulation.

Even on an I7 desktop pc you wont get flawless emulation.

So if  may kindly point out, your expectation and vision are a tad bit unrealistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless someone pulls another DraStic...

It is possible for someone to just turn up one day with a new, precise, efficient emulator.

Not likely though.

So it's all about the emulator? I ran the SSF on my Windows 7 Samsung laptop with an Intel Core I5 and it ran good. So perhaps even the upcoming Nvidia Tegra K1 won't help either, correct? What about GameCube? I saw someone run Luigi's Mansion on a Nexus 10 (which I have that), but unfortunately, the game's audio wasn't synced.

According to WizardStan, its power is comparable to this.

02SRkV4.jpg

Speaking of the Pyra's power...  What laptop/desktop do you think would be a similar comparison to the Pyra power-wise? 

Personally, I am hoping for Dwarf Fortress someday. 

-Glyph Reader

Speaking of the Pyra's power...  What laptop/desktop do you think would be a similar comparison to the Pyra power-wise? 

Personally, I am hoping for Dwarf Fortress someday. 

-Glyph Reader
Maybe something from the 2000 or so. Maybe it could do UT1 fluidly (Pandora can't):

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14058-wine/?p=327465/URL]

I think Dwarf Fortress is quite CPU heavy from what little I've seen, so it would probably be crawl speed at best.

Will we get gameboy emulation? Commodore pet? the enigma machine?

What about pocket calculators? Toasters? mmm toast!!

Maybe something from the 2000 or so. Maybe it could do UT1 fluidly (Pandora can't):

I think Dwarf Fortress is quite CPU heavy from what little I've seen, so it would probably be crawl speed at best.
That makes sense.  Of course, then again, some of us had thought smooth DS emulation on the Pandora would be impossible.

And look where we are now.  (Thanks Exophase!) 

Oh, and if any of you were wondering, I have been lurking in the background for just about three years now, give or take a few months. 

-Glyph Reader

That makes sense. Of course, then again, some of us had thought smooth DS emulation on the Pandora would be impossible.
Nintendo DS's CPU much, much weaker than a laptop/desktop CPU. At the moment the only way to run x86 code on Pandora is via qemu. And running stuff via qemu on Pandora yields pre-2000 year performance, I'm assuming Pyra would do a bit better.
@TrashMG: That was exactly my point. ;)

There's no ARM version of Dwarf Fortress and it's not open source either, so it's in the same/similar boat as UT1 (ie. needs to use qemu). If ARM version becomes available at some point, then it would be a different story.

Back