How Realistic Is?

sm1988

Still Fresh
I was imagining hooking up a pandora to a tv (lid closed), having two snes controllers hooked up (via usb adapters) and finally having some good 16 bit emulation on my tv without going through the fuss and wait of using a pc. the psp is good for emulation but the snes and genesis emus are a bit flaky. gpsp seems rock solid but i dont care much for gba anymore so i dont use it much. basically i just want a clean compact little box that can have joysticks hooked up and handle emulation as well as a pc can. Pretty much a pc without the pc if that makes sense.

I would say totally realistic, SNES will most likely be ported fast (before "commercial" release) and USB controllers should be supported since most emulators already have it, you could in theory just use one SNES controll and use the Pandora as the second one :)
Or two via a adapter..

This you can count on

Well common sense will say that the pandora will handle 16 bit consoles without a hitch plus there are alot of talented programmers in the gp32 scene so we should see some amazing emulators my wonder is the joysticks and would it function with the lid closed when hooked to a tv.

Holokauston said:
I would say totally realistic, SNES will most likely be ported fast (before "commercial" release) and USB
SNES is already ported :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Holokauston said:
I would say totally realistic, SNES will most likely be ported fast (before "commercial" release) and USB

Fantastic. Squidge is the Man :p :D

Pandora is going to knock are socks off.

sm1988 said:
I was imagining hooking up a pandora to a tv (lid closed), having two snes controllers hooked up (via usb adapters) and finally having some good 16 bit emulation on my tv without going through the fuss and wait of using a pc. the psp is good for emulation but the snes and genesis emus are a bit flaky. gpsp seems rock solid but i dont care much for gba anymore so i dont use it much. basically i just want a clean compact little box that can have joysticks hooked up and handle emulation as well as a pc can. Pretty much a pc without the pc if that makes sense.
:)

Exactly something I want to use Pandora for as well. A mini retro-emulation console. As others have said, all signs point to YES, it should be possible. I'm personally also hoping to plug a PS2 arcade stick into the Pandora for MAME on a nice big TV.

The only thing you'll need is a USB hub to convert the single pandora port into however many USB ports you need. And (multiple) controller support in the emulator. And a TV-out cable (which should come with Pandora as I understand it).

Fingers crossed those'll all be straightforward - given that USB-host will no longer be the province of a few (as has been the case with the GP2x), controller support is likely to become even more ubiquitous than it is already, and the others aren't hard to deal with :). Micro-retro-console here we come :D.

The only thing that sucks is those console to usb adapters do require some kind of driver i think i hope somebody could find some way around that.

sm1988 said:
The only thing that sucks is those console to usb adapters do require some kind of driver i think i hope somebody could find some way around that.
My playstation2 one didn't. Unless i wanted to use rumble. Everything else seemed to work just by plugging it in.

Spectralist said:
sm1988 said:
My playstation2 one didn't. Unless i wanted to use rumble. Everything else seemed to work just by plugging it in.

Oh thats cool I hope the snes ones are the same way

Squidge said:
Holokauston said:

Good news. :) Sounds like we have at least one Emulator to start with onto the Pandora. ^_^ Now you can use the time until the Handheld is released to optimize the Emulator. Runs it at 600MHz? Try to make it run at 300MHz etc. ;)

Squidge said:
Holokauston said:

Nice B) when you say 'snes' which emu? I must know :p

astro said:
Squidge said:
Holokauston said:

Ouch, you our going to get caught by the spelling police

Well I think the driver for gamepads etc is in the kernel drivers, most standard gamepads work out of the box on linux because of it, but if that is included or not in the ARM kernel I don't know.

I may be wrong but that's how I understand it.

I tried a couple of USB gamepads on my gp2x bob, both worked fine. I also used one of the ps2>USB adaptors on an official ps2 controller and that worked fine for mame :)

pandora said:
Squidge said:
Holokauston said:

Nice B) when you say 'snes' which emu? I must know :p

astro said:
Squidge said:
Holokauston said:

Ouch, you our going to get caught by the spelling police

Looks like you just caught yourself there! Oops!

Plus give the guy a break, i'm sure his English is far better than your grasp of Swedish!

Back