Is The Pandora Actually Powerful At All?

Status
Not open for further replies.
craigix said:
If there is a better SOC than the OMAP3 currently on the market in a similar price range I'd like to know what it is.

The Pandora is at the absolute cutting edge of technology in terms of power, battery life, GPU, Screen, Controls, price etc. etc.
Hm, If RAM is a part of 35xx SoC (at least it's soldered to SoC, so you can't replace it), then I'd say it's a 256 MB version of 3530 - a much better SoC than :pandora1: currently have. Do they plan to offer such a RAMful version?

Last edited by a moderator:
_VWV_ said:
craigix said:
If there is a better SOC than the OMAP3 currently on the market in a similar price range I'd like to know what it is.

The Pandora is at the absolute cutting edge of technology in terms of power, battery life, GPU, Screen, Controls, price etc. etc.
Hm, If RAM is a part of 35xx SoC (at least it's soldered to SoC, so you can't replace it), then I'd say it's a 256 MB version of 3530 - a much better SoC than :pandora1: currently have. Do they plan to offer such a RAMful version?

MWeston briefly talked about a higher RAM version, but said they decided against it because they didn't want to segment their users. It was possible, it was just more expensive and not good for the price target they had.

Personally i hope they don't make a new revision until a good 1 1/2-2 years down the line, then maybe just a higher ram version or maybe a Pandora 1.5 with OMAP4 etc but lets enjoy this version for what it is, people can always add things to hardware to improve them, if the memory isn't enough for you get a PDA or something else with 128MB+ram, limits have to be set somewhere...

jaycee900 said:
Personally i hope they don't make a new revision until a good 1 1/2-2 years down the line, then maybe just a higher ram version or maybe a Pandora 1.5 with OMAP4 etc but lets enjoy this version for what it is, people can always add things to hardware to improve them, if the memory isn't enough for you get a PDA or something else with 128MB+ram, limits have to be set somewhere...
OMAP 4xxx with Cortex A9 should show up in 2010. If original the first pandora is a success, maybe they'll use that one. Anything under 3 years and I think they're undercutting the life of the device, though.

jaycee900 said:

I would have preferred more RAM with a slightly higher price point.

chad78 said:
jaycee900 said:

There was some issue with it. Wasn't connected the same way, or something - more heat, more power consumption, and not as fast as the first 128MB?

Meh. 128MB is tons for the games we'll be seeing. Just optimize your code more. ;)

Kramy said:
chad78 said:
jaycee900 said:

There was some issue with it. Wasn't connected the same way, or something - more heat, more power consumption, and not as fast as the first 128MB?

Meh. 128MB is tons for the games we'll be seeing. Just optimize your code more. ;)
The OMAP chip comes in a PoP, which means the RAM and Flash are integrated into the package. As of right now 128mb ram is the limit on availability. The PoP packaging is integral in reducing a lot of the board space, so it is indeed a good thing.

chad78 said:

We all know what you would have preferred Chad. It is a disgrace that the machine was never designed specifically for you. Would have stopped a load of whining on the forums at least!

Anyway more RAM with a slightly higher price point was never an option. More like more ram with 2 to three times the price point. I can't be bothered to find the thread where this was pointed out by one of the Devs (MWeston, perhaps?) but I certainly remember it being said that the 256Mb version was incredibly expensive at the moment.

We all know what you would have preferred Chad. It is a disgrace that the machine was never designed specifically for you. Would have stopped a load of whining on the forums at least!

Right, I've eaten all the food in this thread, don't make me eat the thread as well :p

offtopic.gif

lol u make 128mb ram sound like a small amount, renember this is a handheld and that the psp only has 64mb of ram and can do some impressive things.

astro said:
Ummm Squide... either Astro was thinking exactly the same as me.. or there's been a bit of an editing mishap somewhere!

Erm... correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd guess that RAM excepted, Pandora is more powerful than similarly priced netbooks. (low-end eeePCs and such)

Pleng said:
Ummm Squide... either Astro was thinking exactly the same as me.. or there's been a bit of an editing mishap somewhere!
I notice. No idea how that happened however.

Mutilator said:
lol u make 128mb ram sound like a small amount, renember this is a handheld and that the psp only has 64mb of ram and can do some impressive things.
As long as you don't direct port normal desktop software, yes, then 128MB is more then enough. Ofcourse, when you start running a linux os, with a desktop manager, and several open programs at the same time. Then i fear the 128MB will be a limit.

Personally, i'm not against a 256MB version later on. And that has nothing to do with splitting the community. Let the developers focus on a 128MB version, but allow a 256MB version for people who want the "full desktop" experience.

If 128MB is the limit, so be it. I rather have seen what the actual added cost is/was going to be for the 256MB version. And let the people decide if they want the cheaper 128MB version, or the premium 256MB version.

While we are at this topic, a DVI or HDMI output for the premium will be a nice extra ;) It's not like its unheard to have a cheap version, and a premium version in the console world ( 360, ps3 ... ).

Ofcourse, first they need to market the 128MB version and build up a customer base.

I think it's already been stated that the Omap3 comes with the 128MB RAM built in and it cannot be changed.

ashdjones said:
I think it's already been stated that the Omap3 comes with the 128MB RAM built in and it cannot be changed.
No the OMAP3 doesn't come with any ram built in (apart from a small amount of sram). Instead, you use POP technology to solder the appropriate ram/flash module onto the top of the OMAP. However, when the Pandora was designed, only a 128MB RAM version was available. Also, it goes without saying that once the ram/flash module is married to the omap, it's not really possible to seperate them again without destroying one or the other.

Benjiro said:
It's not like its unheard to have a cheap version, and a premium version in the console world ( 360, ps3 ... ).
Buuuuuuut isn't the biggest-selling home-console currently the only one that doesn't have multiple versions...? ;) </pedant>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back