How To Build Your Own (8 Way) D-pad...

Heh, I see that Starfox 2 cart had party written on it ;) ... I have to agree...Starfox 2 was THE ultimate multiplayer game for the SNES...too bad it was never released...

bacteria posted on Apr 13 2006 at 09:53 AM said:
Style over substance then, you mean? ;) Us "older" gamers prefer something which works (substance) than style (as the most important thing to us is not "ohhh, look at my flashy mobile phone screensaver" or other vain fads). :lol: I was kinda hoping that other people would be adventurous too. Anyway, the picture you saw of my D-pad was a very early version - it has changed dramatically since. I am making yet another model, when I get to the final stage, I will post a pic - you can then base your comments on that! <_<

It is unlikely that there will be a de-facto standard for D-pad assembly anyway, as it will involve people sourcing their own D-pad to disassemble it, as you can't make one which contrevines the Nintendo patent. "N" are very protective of their intellectual property, even if they are not making money from it anymore (look at N64 emulation as an example). Anyone who sells a pre-made product, including D-pad, will have to be very careful not to impede on their design (mine doesn't). Anyway, my latest design takes far too long to make to be commercially viable, I may post a "how to make" article with pics in due course, so people can try.... B)

When you're talking about fashioning a dpad out of cardboard, tinfoil and carpet tiles, I would say that an adapted commercial dpad is probably more a case of substance than style :rolleyes:

BTW I can't really imagine anything more adventurous in this context than taking a dremel and making a permenant mod to your GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
grahf posted on Apr 20 2006 at 02:41 AM said:
I really like hardware mods, which is mainly the reason i did mine.
Absolutely, it is a bit scary though, as you know that if you make a hash of it you have destroyed a perfectly good unit, and are back to first base again; however the results are worth the effort generally as you only do a hardware mod if you are fed up with the alternative of what you have! I was delighted to get the front lighting system on my original GBA a while back, it made the screen far brighter, although "pixilated", and 'I did it'.

I have had my GP2x open many times now, and made a mess of the front left of my unit (minor glue accidents melting part of the plastic, and my soldering iron went a bit awal in the same places - I am a bit ham handed!

Anyway, this is a pic of my GP2x in a Nintendo DS case (I cut out the dividing partition in it as it gets in the way - GP2x is secured nicely, you also see two spare sets of Ansmann batteries and a spare SD card. I had said a while ago I would post a pic in due course. I am giving my unit a good testing before I seal the edges of my D-pad to make it all nice and finished (not doing it now as I like to monitor it).

g.jpg

Oh yeah, didn't use floortiles on this model (sorry about that FluffyPanda!) - although the unit is resting on my home-made computer desk which is topped by said floortiles!!

Is it me or does that just really look like a "hash" of a photoshop job ?

It looks like you drew over that picture with some shitty pen and filled it in complete with the same color. And most importantly, I can't see a dpad on there for the life of me.

ninjak posted on Apr 20 2006 at 02:11 PM said:
Is it me or does that just really look like a "hash" of a photoshop job ?

It looks like you drew over that picture with some shitty pen and filled it in complete with the same color. And most importantly, I can't see a dpad on there for the life of me.
ninjak - :blink: - As Oscar Wilde once said - "It is better to keep quiet and people think you are an idiot than speaking and confirming to the world that you are". Clearly, Oscar Wilde must be laughing in his grave now at how apt his comment was to yours! :lol:

I chose to make a flat D-pad - if you think a D-pad has to have an "+" then why don't they call it an "+" pad or a "X" pad? The old Intellivision System used a flat D-pad. Above my D-pad is the centre push button, below the D-pad is the volume control (+ -). If you look at the picture you will see all this (if you put your spectacles on). Sure black mounting board is similar in colour to a black GP2x :blink: (perhaps this is to make it blend in do you think...) :blink:

That's definitely a photoshop job. Every time I see a bacteria post it screams "I want to scam people".

I don't think it's photoshopped ... a scammer would at least try to make it match the case color more :lol:

It looks uncomfortable at best ... *shudders*

bacteria posted on Apr 20 2006 at 10:16 AM said:
grahf posted on Apr 20 2006 at 02:41 AM said:
I really like hardware mods, which is mainly the reason i did mine.
Absolutely, it is a bit scary though, as you know that if you make a hash of it you have destroyed a perfectly good unit, and are back to first base again; however the results are worth the effort generally as you only do a hardware mod if you are fed up with the alternative of what you have! I was delighted to get the front lighting system on my original GBA a while back, it made the screen far brighter, although "pixilated", and 'I did it'.

I have had my GP2x open many times now, and made a mess of the front left of my unit (minor glue accidents melting part of the plastic, and my soldering iron went a bit awal in the same places - I am a bit ham handed!

Anyway, this is a pic of my GP2x in a Nintendo DS case (I cut out the dividing partition in it as it gets in the way - GP2x is secured nicely, you also see two spare sets of Ansmann batteries and a spare SD card. I had said a while ago I would post a pic in due course. I am giving my unit a good testing before I seal the edges of my D-pad to make it all nice and finished (not doing it now as I like to monitor it).

g.jpg

Oh yeah, didn't use floortiles on this model (sorry about that FluffyPanda!) - although the unit is resting on my home-made computer desk which is topped by said floortiles!!

Just buy the offical one is dirty cheap anyway !

Lol, that is definately not photoshopped. I recognize the material, having worked with it many times before... It's that foam stuff that people use for kid's arts and crafts projects. You know, the kind back in elementary school that came in 8 different colors and you could cut it into shapes and glue it on things? Obviously, he bought the black kind.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think so, it just looks too much like it to be anything else, IMO.

cbox posted on Apr 20 2006 at 04:30 PM said:
That's definitely a photoshop job. Every time I see a bacteria post it screams "I want to scam people".
It is not photoshopped, it is a straight photo, unedited (only reduced in picture size by jpeg compression). I have never scammed anyone, nor have any reason to; you have no grounds for such stupid comments (assuming you even know what your childish comment actually means), and furthermore I don't tell lies, period. If you have any decency or respect for people you will apologise for your ignorance as it is completely impossible for you to justify your pathetic accusation as there are no grounds for your libelous comments. You should be ashamed of yourself.

This quote from cbox represents the very worst of people who posts on these Forums - he clearly has no respect for other people or their feelings, and he is a destroyer of ideas, innovation and motivation.

TelcoLou posted on Apr 20 2006 at 04:37 PM said:
I don't think it's photoshopped ... a scammer would at least try to make it match the case color more :lol:

It looks uncomfortable at best ... *shudders*
You, as a Forum Moderator surely have to condone cbox's post - it simply can't be justified - surely it comes under the heading of "baselessly insulting other members" (under "The list of things you don't do" rules)? Make an example of him please.

As to your post, it is not "uncomfortable at best", far from it. It is as comfortable to use as with a commercial D-pad, except my design also has the advantage of a centre push button.

jmetal88 posted on Apr 20 2006 at 09:53 PM said:
Lol, that is definately not photoshopped. I recognize the material, having worked with it many times before... It's that foam stuff that people use for kid's arts and crafts projects. You know, the kind back in elementary school that came in 8 different colors and you could cut it into shapes and glue it on things? Obviously, he bought the black kind.

Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think so, it just looks too much like it to be anything else, IMO.
I stated above what it was made from in a previous post what I used, it is not the foam stuff you said, I tried that, as well as a variety of other materials, it just isn't suitable. If you look closer at the picture, you will see that the flash from the camera was a little over zealous - compare the colour of your GP2x and the colour in the picture (below the LCD screen for example) - the photo is too washed out; the true colours are darker and deeper.

It was a simple job adding a d-pad on the gp32 too. No soldering either, so it's just a case of opening it up and putting the old thumb-stick back in if needed.

429961dc6a.jpg

Just thought, would a GameKing D Pad work or is it too large. (I dont have both with me to compare).

reading this thread is always awesome as heck... I am just loving the way that bacteria is thinking everybody insults him when they are only stating how pathetic his mod looks. It wouldn't be so funny if he wasn't as serious about it... I mean, i wouldn't be able to do a better job on a DIY d-pad but for god's sake don't pretend to have just invented the wheel!!! It's not that great and it is still not a real 8 way gamepad... LoL

Does anyone plan to sell modded gp2x yet ?

I mean, I don't feel very comfortable about soldering anything into my gp2x, i'm pretty good at breaking things, if I could just send my unit + a nes (or anything else) pad + some money to someone and get a dpad modded gp2x back, i'd be glad.

edit : err, no offense but if that "someone" could be just anyone but Bacteria I'd be even more glad. What he posted is exactly the readon why I'd be more confident not being the one doing the job.

Back