how to start thread with first unread post?

hitbyambulance

Website
troubletype.org
With the new forum, I don't see a way from the thread listings to start reading a thread/topic at the first unread post. Usually there's some sort of indicator you can click on, but I don't see anything like that now. Am I missing something?

I'm not sure what happens when you click on the date. It seems to go to the url of the thread with '/latest' stuck on the end, but since I have no unready threads presently, I can't test it. Presently it goes to the last post on the last page, but I'm not sure if that's the same link I follow from the unread posts or something else. I'll have to check what happens when someone posts next.

Edit: So, I've seen it now. Those links go to the thread title with '/unread' added to the end. I forgot to not read them there and then and go to the forums they were in and see if I could find that link anywhere, but I'll hopefully remember to do that next time.

In the mean time you could just right click on the title, copy the link address, paste it back into the title bar and type '/unread', but that's a bit long-winded for daily use I guess.

Last edited:
New posts doesn't work for you? I use the what's new lightning bolt most of the time. With that the titles in bold have unread stuff, and when I click it it takes me to the first unread post.

I just click on the title and it goes to the first unread post.

This doesn't work only for older threads, but just for the first time.

There's also a button at the right top of the thread called "Jump to new"

Yes, I went to the raw thread after noticing a new post in the box86 thread, and in the viewer the title had the '/unread' on the end and therefore it took me to my last unread post. Obviously, from then on I've read that thread, so instead it got to the first post on the first page, or I can click on the date to go to the last post still. I don't' see a button called 'jump to new' but that might be because of my javascript settings, but still, unread threads are bold and it's not hard to click on their title to get to the unread posts.

Back