How To Test Gp32 If Its 100% Working

PiNa1971

Website
Visit site
Hello guyz,

i just picked up my GP32 BLU from Liksang. On the first sight I can't see anything wrong. Package was factory sealed and D&G enclosed game plays just well. I am used to GBA SP and I was blown away by size and quality of GP32's LCD. It's simply amazing.

I'd like to test, if it's working 100% or if I just got another dodgy one as some of us already did.

Unfortunately I do have D&G SMC card only (dunno if it can be erased) and I am a bit afraid to flash new bios right now.

Any help? :)

Thank you ... acording to self test, everything is working just fine. But I wanted to test it to see if it suffers from that blue line that appears on the LCD with other firmware flashed or with some of the applications.

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 7 2004 at 09:14 AM said:
Thank you ... acording to self test, everything is working just fine. But I wanted to test it to see if it suffers from that blue line that appears on the LCD with other firmware flashed or with some of the applications.

Do yourself a favour - don't flash the firmware. There is no point and you may end up with a faulty GP32. Mine was faulty out of the box so you would now by knwo if your's was knackered.

Last edited by a moderator:
funkyshaker posted on Dec 7 2004 at 10:01 AM said:
Do yourself a favour - don't flash the firmware. There is no point and you may end up with a faulty GP32. Mine was faulty out of the box so you would now by knwo if your's was knackered.

I am not going to flash atleast ATM. But if I got it right, you opened your shipment, put batteries in. Turned it on, and there was a blue line at the top? Even during playing enclosed D&G game?

I put Frodo on the card and it looks like this. It seems I got a bad one, right?

gp32_bad.jpg

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 7 2004 at 10:25 AM said:
I put Frodo on the card and it looks like this. It seems I got a bad one, right?

gp32_bad.jpg

Yep - same problem as me. I have just got my returns number from Lik Sang and it will be heading it's way back to Hong Kong tomorrow. Just ordered another GP32 from GBAX.com :)

funkyshaker posted on Dec 7 2004 at 10:33 AM said:
Yep - same problem as me. I have just got my returns number from Lik Sang and it will be heading it's way back to Hong Kong tomorrow. Just ordered another GP32 from GBAX.com :)

What forwarder did you choose? DHL, Fedex, UPS? or just plain EMS/Speedpost?
You requested money back right?

It seems to be a bad batch from GamePark ... hmmm. It seems that Craigx is not gonna be happy as his parcel with GP32s is on the way from HK to him :(

I wonder if I can get an LCD of one of these faulty units to replace the broken LCD of my intact unit :)

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 7 2004 at 12:25 PM said:

gp32_bad.jpg

"Object in images may appear smaller than in reality."

:blink:

Agh, I hope mine ain't busted... Does this appear in anything else? MHZ related, perhaps?

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 7 2004 at 10:47 AM said:
funkyshaker posted on Dec 7 2004 at 10:33 AM said:
Yep - same problem as me. I have just got my returns number from Lik Sang and it will be heading it's way back to Hong Kong tomorrow. Just ordered another GP32 from GBAX.com  :)

What forwarder did you choose? DHL, Fedex, UPS? or just plain EMS/Speedpost?
You requested money back right?

It seems to be a bad batch from GamePark ... hmmm. It seems that Craigx is not gonna be happy as his parcel with GP32s is on the way from HK to him :(

I am using standard Airmail as suggested by Lik Sang. It may take slightly longer but it is only £8.00 which is quite cheap. I will pay a little extra to get a tracking number - this is through Royal Mail in the UK. I have also requested a refund which Lik Sang have agreed to - thanks Lik Sang.

I have just ordered one of the last GP32's that Craig has - at least it is not one of the dodgy batches heading his way. Just want to say thanks to GBAX.com for great service and they are really friendly too. Should've gone there in the 1st place. Oh well, you learn by your mistakes.

EvilDragon posted on Dec 7 2004 at 12:00 PM said:
I wonder if I can get an LCD of one of these faulty units to replace the broken LCD of my intact unit :)
So you couldn't buy one from samsung?
Anyway, there are really a lot of bad blu's :(

aapje89 posted on Dec 7 2004 at 03:31 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Dec 7 2004 at 12:00 PM said:
So you couldn't buy one from samsung?
Anyway, there are really a lot of bad blu's :(

Didn't get a reply yet, but I try to get one from all different sources at once ;)

Yeah, bad BLU's is REALLY bad... this is gonna cost a WHOLE lot of money for GamePark... and money is something they don't really have :(

Last edited:
i8m actually well scared now, cause ive just brought a gp32 blu 166+ from gbax and there waitin for new stok, how likely is it that mine will b fuked?

Why is it everyone is so convinced the units are truly bad?

I'm new around here so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

But it seems that the systems all work fine, and only mess up when running this Frodo program.

Or are there other circumstances that cause this bug as well?

maybe it's a software issue and not a hardware issue? Maybe it is an issue with the firmware? I feel bad that so many people are going to all the trouble to send these things back when this may be an easily solved problem. Also, this wouldn't bode well for lik sang (they may stop carrying the unit) and of course, gamepark not being a big company, this would suck for them. Of course if the units really are defective than that's another story... I just have this very strong feeling it's something that can be fixed thru software.

And anyways what is so big about running Frodo? Isn't than an NES emulator? Is there not another NES emulator that is as good as or better than Frodo?

If the one I just ordered messes up on Frodo and ONLY Frodo, I'm not gonna send it back for that........

Some of you smarter dev-type-people maybe should take a look at what is happening and try to figure out why. It certainly SOUNDS like some software problem, and not a fault with the unit. Maybe the recent units have some small change in the firmware that isn't friendly with the current version of Frodo.

maybe you guys should try other older versions of Frodo, if they are still available? Or try all the other apps/emus you would be intersted in and see if Frodo is the only one that f'ks up?

bast525 posted on Dec 7 2004 at 04:47 PM said:
Why is it everyone is so convinced the units are truly bad?

I'm new around here so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

But it seems that the systems all work fine, and only mess up when running this Frodo program.

Or are there other circumstances that cause this bug as well?

maybe it's a software issue and not a hardware issue? Maybe it is an issue with the firmware? I feel bad that so many people are going to all the trouble to send these things back when this may be an easily solved problem. Also, this wouldn't bode well for lik sang (they may stop carrying the unit) and of course, gamepark not being a big company, this would suck for them. Of course if the units really are defective than that's another story... I just have this very strong feeling it's something that can be fixed thru software.

And anyways what is so big about running Frodo? Isn't than an NES emulator? Is there not another NES emulator that is as good as or better than Frodo?

If the one I just ordered messes up on Frodo and ONLY Frodo, I'm not gonna send it back for that........

Some of you smarter dev-type-people maybe should take a look at what is happening and try to figure out why. It certainly SOUNDS like some software problem, and not a fault with the unit. Maybe the recent units have some small change in the firmware that isn't friendly with the current version of Frodo.

maybe you guys should try other older versions of Frodo, if they are still available? Or try all the other apps/emus you would be intersted in and see if Frodo is the only one that f'ks up?
Frodo is a C64 emu.
If it's the firmware, flash.
My GP£2 could never run Doom, SCUMMVM or Quake for more than about 30secs. That's the reason I just sold it to buy a 166+ BLU :D

It's because actually at least two programs are not running fine:
GPFrodo and any other firmware.
Both work fine on all other GP32s.
This means, there is certainly a bug in the hardware.

There are hundreds of games/programs for the GP32, so there is possibly a lot more stuff that doesn't run correctly on these faulty machines...

matt goode posted on Dec 7 2004 at 04:16 PM said:
i8m actually well scared now, cause ive just brought a gp32 blu 166+ from gbax and there waitin for new stok, how likely is it that mine will b fuked?

Dont want to scare you even more, but since their shipment is from Liksang, the chances they will receive bad units are pretty high :( But they will receive lots of them so if the good/bad ration is not 1, you still have a chance, there will 'd be one fully working there :)

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

gbax.com always tests its units first though so hopefully they'll find this screw up before they send it to you.

Back