How To Test Gp32 If Its 100% Working

hehe. I know. Just kiddin' :D

It says if undeliverable please return to Malmo, Sweden. I guess they ship it from whichever wharehouse is closest/cheapest.

Still no reply from Lik-Sang. Over 24 hours now... maybe I used wrong options on the contact form or something?

"free magazines" eh? .. hmm... from sweden you say? ...hmm... anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?....

:) Just playing. Seriously, though, what free magazines can I get?

This is not a fault of the GP32 units. The bars are caused by a change of the LCD display from Samsung to a new Taiwanese manufacturer. As far as I have been told by an engineer working closely with Gamepark, official Firmware and software is not affected.

On the long term, only coders of the Firmware, Emulators and other tools for the GP32 can solve this problem, by updating their "settings" for the future.

Whether you buy your GP32 in Asia, USA or at local dealers in Europe, it will all be the same in the future, unless Gamepark can do some magic or goes back to Samsung for the display. I am sure they will advise the correct "settings" for the new display in due course.

Apart from this official information, I have also heard from users that their original setup already had those bars, can anyone confirm this?

pea posted on Dec 9 2004 at 05:18 PM said:
"free magazines" eh? .. hmm... from sweden you say? ...hmm... anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?....

:) Just playing. Seriously, though, what free magazines can I get?

Mostly Bizarre Religious stuff ^_^ see www.eckankar.com

Last edited by a moderator:
donjj posted on Dec 9 2004 at 11:24 AM said:
This is not a fault of the GP32 units. The bars are caused by a change of the LCD display from Samsung to a new Taiwanese manufacturer. As far as I have been told by an engineer working closely with Gamepark, official Firmware and software is not affected.

On the long term, only coders of the Firmware, Emulators and other tools for the GP32 can solve this problem, by updating their "settings" for the future.

Whether you buy your GP32 in Asia, USA or at local dealers in Europe, it will all be the same in the future, unless Gamepark can do some magic or goes back to Samsung for the display. I am sure they will advise the correct "settings" for the new display in due course.

Apart from this official information, I have also heard from users that their original setup already had those bars, can anyone confirm this?

OK, now I'm concerned. Many of the best emu's for GP aren't supported/developed anymore. Hence, no upgrade to support the "new hardware".

It's the death of GP32 as we know it... :(

I wonder if the LCD's performance is the same?

Well, I recently ordered a new one - and I am gonna test it out asap.
I'll guess I have to wait a while since Lik-Sang isn't shipping yet.

I'm gonna try out all the stuff I have in my archive.

If it's just a few games, no problem.

Frodo is still being developed, I guess, the bar thing is a small thing to fix.
Slubman's Firmware is also still being developed.

Only thing that puzzles me is that Xenon has the bar... it's a Fenix game... do all other Fenix games have the problem?

It's the same runtime, so it would be strange if it's just one game that doesn't work...

donjj posted on Dec 9 2004 at 09:24 AM said:

Well, my GP32 came on Monday and I did not flash new firmware and therefore no bars at all. Till I started Frodo and tested Xenon. Both appz caused bars on LCD.

If they decided to use a new LCD then its driver (HW chip) has to be a slightly different. And in this case it's possible to fix it by software, but developers have to know, what to fix ... and it seems to be a problem here :(

and there is another post on this board that states:

"manged to replicate the bar using Frodo, the Super NES and the Xenon game. It now does it on startup and I am running the same firmware from when I first go it."

and that is what really scares me a lot ... it doesnt look like new LCD driver only.

pea posted on Dec 8 2004 at 11:03 PM said:
It says if undeliverable please return to Malmo, Sweden. I guess they ship it from whichever wharehouse is closest/cheapest.

Still no reply from Lik-Sang. Over 24 hours now... maybe I used wrong options on the contact form or something?

The same here in Czech Republic. The parcel came obviously from Sweden.

I filled RMA request on their page 24hrs ago too, and still no reply.

Give them time - they will reply. I have been speaking to a guy called Jim from Lik Sang and he has been very helpful. They will sort you out.

donjj posted on Dec 9 2004 at 09:24 AM said:

Sounds like EXACTLY what I was saying. They changed something in the unit, and it's not jiving with the older software. But it SHOULD be something that could be fixed, easily, do it yourself, no need to send it back, with minor tweaks to the existing software/firmware/bios. The units are NOT defective or faulty, per se, rather, they have been changed on purpose, though I'm sure Gamepark had no idea the change would have such an effect.

So now it's up to gamepark to provide a do-it-yourself solution (seems like a new BIOS or changes to the BIOS settings, or new firmware could solve the problem?) OR to the dev'ers to make changes to their existing software to accomodate the new hardware or create a new firmware that fixes it.

And if what Donjj says is indeed true, then I had guessed correct earlier, and Gamepark has indeed made a permanent change to the hardware. Lik sang can replace all of your 'faulty' units with new ones 10 times over and you most likely will still end up with the same problem. Someone needs to maybe make this a sticky or something, because there are probably going to be quite a few more people getting these 'faulty' units. They need to know that even returning and exchanging them may not solve the issue.

Sorry if this sounds like an "I told you so" :D :p but it is!

Hey it sux for me as well... there's a very good chance the GP I just ordered will have this problem as well <_<

Seriously though what Donjj has to say is very important for everyone with the bar problem to hear... it might really be a good idea to make this a sticky, maybe edit the thread title to "Anyone with the blue bar problem read this" or something?

@bast525

You are right again :)

But what really suprises me is the way GP did it. There is for sure statement somewhere in the manual, that manufacturer can do changes and enhancements to his units as much as he feels is needed.

But in case of GP32, which cant live without homebrew scene, causes current situation lot of confusion and stress among new users. Their betatesters obviously failed.

GP 'd provide new BLUs to all active developers, co they can test their appz on it.

Time will tell.

Well.... Mine's "faulty" too... LittleJohn works fine, though the placing of the A and B are a bit akward for NES player. Doom has the bar, as does the OC tester. How do I test OC with OSNES9xgp?

I wouldn't want to send it back just yet... Incase it isn't infact faulty. But if it turns out to be, and the 10 day return time passes... Augh.

And the speakers are in correct order... ;)

DrMD works as does GPengine, SmashGP propably needs some aditional folder or whatnots. Castaway refused to work, maybe it needs bios or something.

@Jarska333

I have got a Doom V0.8 and shareware WAD Doom1.wad and on my "faulty" unit I had no bar. Which Doom's version are you using? * if the same one as me, it's getting a bit confusing if the same appz on some units work and on some nope ...

Castaway needs TOS102 image. You can get it at steem.atari.st web pages in download section.

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 9 2004 at 06:48 PM said:
@Jarska333

I have got a Doom V0.8 and shareware WAD Doom1.wad and on my "faulty" unit I had no bar. Which Doom's version are you using? * if the same one as me, it's getting a bit confusing if the same appz on some units work and on some nope ...

Castaway needs TOS102 image. You can get it at steem.atari.st web pages in download section.

Well, it's shareware Doom v1.9, final version I should think... Or is that 0.8 the GP port? I'll have to check...

I meant what version of GP Doom file have you got? ... I have 0.8 and added shareware doom WAD downloaded from the Internet. And it worked just fine.

If you have the same, then it's gonna probably be more complicated than we thought so far.

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 9 2004 at 06:55 PM said:
I meant what version of GP Doom file have you got? ... I have 0.8 and added shareware doom WAD downloaded from the Internet. And it worked just fine.

If you have the same, then it's gonna probably be more complicated than we thought so far.

Mine is V9Final of the GPDOOM... I believe it should be V9, not V0.9 or anything...

Back