How well is bluetooth audio working?

snostrebla

Still Fresh
I remember on the other forums many moons ago, stereo bluetooth headphones worked, but it required some random stuff being entered in a terminal window.

From what I remember, it tethered no problem, but you needed to mess with .asoundrc

Do we still need to do this, or was this eventually fixed via hotfix. If it was fixed, how well is it working?

i 2nd this notion, blutooth a2dp headphones were the first accessory that i bought for my future pandora, still boxed up next to my monitor.....waiting....for something....

Yes, you still need to edit .asoundrc and heres what you do:

First, create a copy of .asoundrc under a different name, then edit your second copy in mousepad

There is a section that shows this:

Code:
 pcm.!default  {

type      plug

slave.pcm   "softvol"

Make it say this instead:

Code:
 pcm.!default  {

type      plug

slave.pcm   "bluetooth"

You'll also have to add the following to the bottom:

Code:
pcm.bluetooth  {

type bluetooth

}

Depending on the "sound output mode" you're in you want to name the file .asoundrc and change the other files name to something else, in my case I name the bluetooth one when not in use ".asoundrc2" and the normal one when not in use as ".asoundrc1" but you can do whatever you want so you remember.

Enjoy ;-)

Edit: When using an audio player and changing to Bluetooth out, make sure to restart the player so it picks up the change. Strangely only Exaile will work so far with Bluetooth audio out for some reason Audacious will not, no matter how I toy with the plugins =/

Last edited by a moderator:
When using an audio player and changing to Bluetooth out, make sure to restart the player so it picks up the change. Strangely only Exaile will work so far with Bluetooth audio out for some reason Audacious will not, no matter how I toy with the plugins =/

Does bluetooth audio work with Deadbeef currently?

I was hoping to hear the bluetooth audio problems would have been fixed via hotfix by now. Perhaps it'll be in a future hotfix, I don't expect it to show up in 5 beta 2, or whatever they decide to do after beta 2 immediately. I also don't mind having to edit the files, as I'll be using the headphone jack until it is included in a hotfix.

Bookmarking for future reference on editing the asoundrc file.

When using an audio player and changing to Bluetooth out, make sure to restart the player so it picks up the change. Strangely only Exaile will work so far with Bluetooth audio out for some reason Audacious will not, no matter how I toy with the plugins =/

Does bluetooth audio work with Deadbeef currently?

I was hoping to hear the bluetooth audio problems would have been fixed via hotfix by now. Perhaps it'll be in a future hotfix, I don't expect it to show up in 5 beta 2, or whatever they decide to do after beta 2 immediately. I also don't mind having to edit the files, as I'll be using the headphone jack until it is included in a hotfix.

Bookmarking for future reference on editing the asoundrc file.

Not sure if it works with Deadbeef, will try at some point and let you know. =)

Yeah, so was I. I would also like to see the software mixer mean something for audio controls, and the internal mic to work. As for right now, the mixer application in the tray still does nothing and we have no mic. =P I suppose only waiting for someone more knowledgeable than I to fix those things will get them working.

Thanks though! Glad I could be of help. =)

I dont think deadbeef works this method only works with programs that uses alsa. So far exaile and mplayer are the only programs that i used that has it.

I dont think deadbeef works this method only works with programs that uses alsa. So far exaile and mplayer are the only programs that i used that has it.
It should, everything uses ALSA whether they know it or not. Even when it is using OSS, it's really just a wrapper around ALSA.

I was wondering if the pandora would work with bluetooth speakers and if you can send music to a music system and have it play or stream etc.

I have a samsung bbluetooth compatible surround sound system.Was thinking of buying some small speakers for the pandora.

I was wondering if the pandora would work with bluetooth speakers and if you can send music to a music system and have it play or stream etc.

I have a samsung bbluetooth compatible surround sound system.Was thinking of buying some small speakers for the pandora.

It should work most bluetooth sound devices are AD2P afterall. Although, right now this method only works for mplayer and Exaile.

It should, everything uses ALSA whether they know it or not. Even when it is using OSS, it's really just a wrapper around ALSA.
Really? I wonder why my ALSA settings (bluetooth/audio boost) wouldnt work on other apps besides mplayer and exaile then. Bluetooth also wouldnt work if i set mplayer to OSS. This topic also says otherwise. http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54539-use-ao-oss-in-mplayer-for-better-performance/

I know it's not strictly on topic, but what do you recommend for bluetooth headphones? Digging around on amazon and newegg doesn't actually turn up much variety.

Tell that to Audacious. I still can't seem to get BT audio out on that for some reason. Alsa/OSS

Offtopic: Is it possible to pair with a wireless mouse and keyboard without using any usb dongle? :)
Depends on the wireless. If it's the kind that requires a USB connection on your desktop, then no. There are bluetooth mice and keyboards that should work though.

This has been a fascinating read, but does have me convinced that it will be a long while until some features are even usable. I would love to just connect via my bluetooth headphones and be able to listen through them and eventually I'm going to have to look into a replacement device since the internal MIC is basically useless.

Yes, you still need to edit .asoundrc and heres what you do:

First, create a copy of .asoundrc under a different name, then edit your second copy in mousepad

There is a section that shows this:

Code:
 pcm.!default  {

type      plug

slave.pcm   "softvol"

Make it say this instead:

Code:
 pcm.!default  {

type      plug

slave.pcm   "bluetooth"

You'll also have to add the following to the bottom:

Code:
pcm.bluetooth  {

type bluetooth

}

Depending on the "sound output mode" you're in you want to name the file .asoundrc and change the other files name to something else, in my case I name the bluetooth one when not in use ".asoundrc2" and the normal one when not in use as ".asoundrc1" but you can do whatever you want so you remember.

Enjoy ;-)

Edit: When using an audio player and changing to Bluetooth out, make sure to restart the player so it picks up the change. Strangely only Exaile will work so far with Bluetooth audio out for some reason Audacious will not, no matter how I toy with the plugins =/

This is where I get stumped. I have made the modifications to .asoundrc, but how in Exaile do you change the output to bluetooth?

Back