Hp Psc1610 + 2gb Card = Problems

Eso Rimmer

Website
www.emulatory.net
I have new printer PSC 1610 with integrated card reader and I have problems with reading 2GB card. It seems like its working OK when there are only few files on the card, but when I add some mor over 1GB problem starts appearing. Reading of card takes very long time and after that I can't browse my card. It only says "problem with I/O device" but sometimes it read the card with no problem... I don't understand this...
I tried USB cable and with USB monitor it works, but winXP creates "recycle bin" and "system volume information" folders on the card and a can't figure out, how to forbid this, because it takes about 200MB on card for recycle bin, and it cannot be changed in recycle bin properties tab. :(

Eso Rimmer posted on Feb 12 2006 at 04:16 PM said:
I tried USB cable and with USB monitor it works, but winXP creates "recycle bin" and "system volume information" folders on the card and a can't figure out, how to forbid this, because it takes about 200MB on card for recycle bin, and it cannot be changed in recycle bin properties tab. :(

To stop the Recycle Bin using space on your card, you can do the following.

Right click on your recycle bin icon. Select configure drives independently. Select the tab that corresponds to your card letter i.e. (G:)

Then check the box "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted".

Click apply.

To stop "system volume information" appearing.

Go to System restore.

Click on "System Restore Settings".

Highlight the card letter i.e. (G:), click settings, then select "Turn off System Restore on this drive".

That should get you back your lost 200mb :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for help, but I've found out, that reader works, but I have to:
1. switch printer on and wait about 15sec before inserting SD
2. insert SD
3. wait until card is recognised and loaded (huh that brings my memory to Loaded game for Saturn... :) ).

So now reading is working well...

EDIT:
What speeds do you achieve in your card readers? I tried copy 650MB film and calculate myself cca 0,75MB/s Isn't it little slow? With lot of small files is the speed about half.

hmm...the speed really depends on your card. and who knows, maybe the card reader itself isn't that fast since it's only really designed to feed pictures to the printer (it's one of those pictbridge setups, right?). anyway yeah i have a cheapo 7-in-1 and it goes fairly slow for SD. the compactflash card for my camera, by comparison, is extremely fast.

and yes, moving lots of small files seems to go slower for me than a few large ones. probably because the file table needs to be updated as well.

meh.

i actually had to take my card reader apart, it was meant to fit in a floppy drive bay in my computer, and it was there for a while but i found out after i got my first sd card that it was flaking out...it's actually a "mobile" usb card reader placed into a spring loaded tray, took that out and used via external usb (rather than direct to mainboard usb pinouts), still flaky. turns out there's too much plastic or something on the case for the mobile part, so i have this stupid card reader hanging out of my computer with its guts exposed...only way it works.

moral of the story is, although card readers can be had for cheap...cheap isn't always best.

Back