Humble Introversion Bundle Source Available

sepp256

This was already mentioned in another thread, but I thought a new thread should be opened to alert everyone to go buy the Humble Introversion Bundle for future use on Pandora.

The source code for Darwinia, Multiwinia, DEFCON, and Uplink is made available for all HIB buyers. The license is somewhat restrictive, but Introversion seems to want their games to be ported to new platforms. Hopefully, someone will jump in and port the engines to Pandora so we can enjoy them on the go.

I've already reviewed the Uplink source and I'm planning to do ports for all of these games.

I'm drafting an email to Introversion today on licensing questions wrt http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/developer/license.html

I'll see if:

1. I can get a license to distribute a version for the Pandora that requires content to be copied from the desktop version.

2. I can work out a way to distribute a commercial version on the Repo for those who don't already have the content.

Grab the bundle while it lasts if you want an easy way to get the content for them all.

Defcon is first on my list.

I've already reviewed the Uplink source and I'm planning to do ports for all of these games.

I'm drafting an email to Introversion today on licensing questions wrt http://www.introvers...er/license.html

I'll see if:

1. I can get a license to distribute a version for the Pandora that requires content to be copied from the desktop version.

2. I can work out a way to distribute a commercial version on the Repo for those who don't already have the content.

Grab the bundle while it lasts if you want an easy way to get the content for them all.

Defcon is first on my list.

This is very good to hear. I guess for DEFCON and Multiwinia, you need to also get keys to play online, so I don't know if it would work to sell them through the repo. I tried out DEFCON on PC, and it seems like an awesome game for the Pandora, especially with online multiplayer.

Thanks for the info, and hope to see new ports for Pandora.

Now i go to buy the new Bundle.... :)

The only downside I see with these games, the fonts are tiny! I was trying to play Uplink and I could barely read some of the messages. I wonder how they'll look on the Pandora's screen

I like DefCon, but it seems like quite a slow game, will the Pandora's battery last long enough?? :eek: ;)

This is great news on the source release from Introversion. I would love to see Pandora ports (I don't know how restrictive the license is). I'm sure getting in touch with Introversion would be the best thing. Can't see them wanting to port to Pandora themselves, but they might like the ability to sell the game assets on the Repo.

The only downside I see with these games, the fonts are tiny! I was trying to play Uplink and I could barely read some of the messages. I wonder how they'll look on the Pandora's screen

I like DefCon, but it seems like quite a slow game, will the Pandora's battery last long enough?? :eek: ;)
1) Part of a port is making a game's UI usable. I believe in doing more than just scaling a UI to fit the screen. I'm interested in making ports as usable as possible. I won't release a port where the font is too small to read :)

2) Look in the top middle of the screen, players can choose the speed by pressing the number keys. The game runs at the speed of the slowest player. At my LAN parties, we play Defcon games in 10-15 minutes. We usually run slowly at the beginning to place units and give orders, then speed it up as the nukes are flying.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very good to hear. I guess for DEFCON and Multiwinia, you need to also get keys to play online, so I don't know if it would work to sell them through the repo. I tried out DEFCON on PC, and it seems like an awesome game for the Pandora, especially with online multiplayer.
Multiplayer will *not* sync with the official versions unless a special arrangement is made. We can still play Defcon among Pandora users, and a binary release could be made to allow the desktop version to sync with Pandora. If necessary, I have the resources to host a Pandora-only Defcon server list and even Defcon dedicated server instances.

1) Part of a port is making a game's UI usable. I believe in doing more than just scaling a UI to fit the screen. I'm interested in making ports as usable as possible. I won't release a port where the font is too small to read :)
Glad to hear :)

2) Look in the top middle of the screen, players can choose the speed by pressing the number keys. The game runs at the speed of the slowest player. At my LAN parties, we play Defcon games in 10-15 minutes. We usually run slowly at the beginning to place units and give orders, then speed it up as the nukes are flying.
That's damn fast, I've seen this Let's Play, and even they don't play that quick. In my case, it's probably because I'm not used to the controls etc.

I'm drafting an email to Introversion today on licensing questions wrt http://www.introvers...er/license.html

I'll see if:

The game without needing the original files huh? that would be pretty swish, just download the PND and play.

yay! Well done for porting these masterpieces, I can't wait for Uplink! ($50 bounty) who said that!?

That's damn fast, I've seen this Let's Play, and even they don't play that quick. In my case, it's probably because I'm not used to the controls etc.
I think the pressure of playing multiplayer with people in the same room instead of playing against a computer makes a big difference for speed.

I just got a reply from someone about Uplink legality.

He says its perfectly fine to port, as long as the users require original Uplink game files to play.

So, now someone just has to get the ol' developer CD and port awaaaaaaaaay!
was this from an Introversion employee? if so, can you send me their name and exact wording of their email? did you just use the contact form to get in touch with them?

This reminds me has anyone started working on a port of Aquaria because I've managed to find where someone had ported it to the PSP, so it should run on the Pandora too right? :huh:

This reminds me has anyone started working on a port of Aquaria because I've managed to find where someone had ported it to the PSP, so it should run on the Pandora too right? :huh:
from what I read the psp porter did some crazy things. this just proves it *can* run :p

I just got a reply from someone about Uplink legality.

He says its perfectly fine to port, as long as the users require original Uplink game files to play.

So, now someone just has to get the ol' developer CD and port awaaaaaaaaay!
was this from an Introversion employee? if so, can you send me their name and exact wording of their email? did you just use the contact form to get in touch with them?

Afraid I lost the original message he sent me. But it was very clear as long as long as users required the original files to play the game, then a port would be fine.

I contacted them through the "constact us" page.

This is such an exciting addition to the bundle :) Looking forward to see some Pandora versions.

Back