I Applied 12v, Gp2x Now A Brick

garykerr06

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I had left my power adapter in my living room, it's one with the switch where the voltage can be changed. I always leave it on 3v for my GP2X, but someone changed it. I plugged it in to my GP2X, not aware the setting had been changed to 12v, and switched on. BOOM. Well, not so much boom; the LED flashed and now nothing works. No power whatsoever. Batteries don't work either.

I have an F-200 with firmware 4.0.0. I bought it in February of this year.
I'm very upset because i have been realising the GP2X's value as it had occupied me on several long journeys recently. I only just fixed my FBA2X ROM problem minutes before. Plus, im going on holiday for a fortnight; now my plans to complete Star Control 2 are ruined!

I realise this may not be fixable, after all, the whole circuitry could be fried. But perhaps its simply a fuse or capacitor that has blown, and can be replaced.

Has anyone else ran too high a voltage through their machine? Anyone have any idea how my beautiful GP2X could be resuscitated?

I'm not an expert in electronics, but if the problem can be identified, i can take it to a shop and have them look at it, to see if they can fix it. I doubt they will ever have encountered a GP2X before!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, i'm very desperate!
Darth Gazak

I've run 9v through mine a couple of times - it seems to have done something nasty to it, because now it won't boot unless it's running 4.5v instead of 3v. Still seems to work OK on 4.5 though...

in most of there cases its just the ltsk (voltage regulator) which goes crazy, if you are good at soldering you can replace it yourself. else evildragon also offers repairs for a small fee+shipping to/from germany.

In the case of 12v however there could be a bit more broken, but it cant hurt to try.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/images/1/1e/LTC3402EMS.jpg

Darth Gazak said:
I had left my power adapter in my living room, it's one with the switch where the voltage can be changed. I always leave it on 3v for my GP2X, but someone changed it. I plugged it in to my GP2X, not aware the setting had been changed to 12v, and switched on. BOOM. Well, not so much boom; the LED flashed and now nothing works. No power whatsoever. Batteries don't work either.

I have an F-200 with firmware 4.0.0. I bought it in February of this year.
I'm very upset because i have been realising the GP2X's value as it had occupied me on several long journeys recently. I only just fixed my FBA2X ROM problem minutes before. Plus, im going on holiday for a fortnight; now my plans to complete Star Control 2 are ruined!

I realise this may not be fixable, after all, the whole circuitry could be fried. But perhaps its simply a fuse or capacitor that has blown, and can be replaced.

Has anyone else ran too high a voltage through their machine? Anyone have any idea how my beautiful GP2X could be resuscitated?

I'm not an expert in electronics, but if the problem can be identified, i can take it to a shop and have them look at it, to see if they can fix it. I doubt they will ever have encountered a GP2X before!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, i'm very desperate!
Darth Gazak

I am very sorry to hear this... the gp2x uses a MAX1566 for its various voltages, here it states it can take a maximum of 5v on the supply. Above that will most likely kill the chip. Its possible there is a fuse, but I saw none when I took apart my gp2x f200 4.0. You may have to replace the max1566 but it would be no easy task.

Hopefully someone here knows of a fuse or something in place that could be easily replaced.

I hope for the best and good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
bboyneko said:
wow i just got a radioshack power adaptor:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2049697

What do i need to know so this won't happen to me when my f-200 arrives?

Well, if it was possible to open that adapter, you would switch it to 3v and then remove the plastic piece that fits over the switch inside, then reassemble it. Good luck opening it, though

PS, glad to hear someone is using the GP2X to make their first run-through of SC2 :) Sorry to hear about the F200 death, it's not the first one to be killed by a universal AC adapter, though

bboyneko said:
wow i just got a radioshack power adaptor:

What do i need to know so this won't happen to me when my f-200 arrives?
The voltage adjustment "screw" is typically in a very accessible area. Just set it, and then put some black tape over it so you don't even think about altering it.

bboyneko said:
isn't there something about negative polarity? that part REALLY confuses me. I don't get what tip I need to put on the radio shack adapter :(
DC Voltage is always carried along two wires - a positive and a negative (kinda misleading, as it's usually positive and ground, but people like using +/- as it's a standard). The tip of an adaptor uses one or the other. The GP2X requires the negative wire on the tip of the adaptor (whilst virtually every other device requires positive, including the gp2x cradle!). You will normally see a drawing showing the tip and +/- showing where they will end up. Just point the '-' part where it shows the tip. You may want to tape it on afterwards to ensure it doesn't fall off and someone else (or yourself) just sticks it back on without thinking of the consequences.

Lurkio said:
bboyneko said:
isn't there something about negative polarity? that part REALLY confuses me. I don't get what tip I need to put on the radio shack adapter :(
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/External_power_supply

I already read that and im even MORE confused after reading it.

So the tip needs to have this symbol:
Powerplug-negative.jpg

on it before i insert it into my f200?

bboyneko said:
I already read that and im even MORE confused after reading it.

So the tip needs to have this symbol:
Powerplug-negative.jpg

on it before i insert it into my f200?
Squidges post should hopefully clear up any confusion.

@bboyneko-

I just got that power supply myself. It's the yellow-tip adaptor. Just make sure the negative symbol lines up with the word "tip" on the side when you put the tip on, and you'll be fine. As far as not having it accidentally get switched....I am OCD about checking it every time I plug it in. Safest way :)

you guys rock! what a helpful community. Thanks to all of the helpful readme's and documentation available I am 90% sure the SD card I have setup will work perfectly once I insert it into my f-200. I'll write a review of the f-200 once it arrives and I have it working properly.

My battery charger and batteries arrived today

Charger:
La Crosse Technology BC-900 AlphaPower Battery Charger

batteries:
Powerex AA 2700mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries

I have everything I need except my (hopefully soon-to-be) beloved f-200.

I am most excited about playing lucasarts and sierra adventure games.

Thanks guys, I'm going to PM EvilDragon to ask him if he can fix it.
I opened it up and looked inside; the circuitry looks far beyon my limited technical ability. It will need to be an expert who solders in a new part, or performs any repairs.

Nothing looks melted though, so there is some hope.

I'll let you know how things go.

Darth gazak

Back