I Could Cry :(

ruckage

Certified Guru
Huge disaster, my PC decided to die yesterday, luckily I had some components put by for building a MAME cab so I assembled them to make myself a new machine, unfortunately it looks like my old hard drives have been badly corrupted and it looks like a lot of my data will be unrecoverable. This means that my cluedo fruit machine game and a few others I had in the works won't see the light of day as I can't face re-doing all that work. Luckily most of my old stuff was backed up but I'm still gutted, the cluedo fruit machine was 80% complete. I'll keep you posted on whether I manage to recover anything. :(

You never know how valuable your hard drive is 'till it bombs. Unlucky mate, hope you manage to salvage cluedo - looked like an ace game!

I keep telling myself to get an external HDD just incase something like that happened. Think it's time to splash :ph34r:

Like I said, commiserations.

leggymcjeggy said:
You never know how valuable your hard drive is 'till it bombs. Unlucky mate, hope you manage to salvage cluedo - looked like an ace game!

I keep telling myself to get an external HDD just incase something like that happened. Think it's time to splash :ph34r:

External drives fail too! Mine has started randomly corrupting my data :(

Last edited by a moderator:
leggymcjeggy said:

Just as Sam just said :lol: , my external 160 GB HD died 2 days ago... Luckily I only had PSX Isos on it.

I keep backups of my coding work on SD cards and on at least two different HD's... I backup on average once every three or four days... It's quite failsafe now.

NOOOO!

I am really sorry to hear that Ruckage. There is a way to recover your data though. What you can try, is purchase the same model hard disk as the one that crapped out, (possibly a refurbished one) and do an operation where you transfer the circuit board from the corrupted HD over to the new unit. There is a degree of risk involved, but what do you have to lose, except another HD?

If the damage is electronic, this should work. If the damage was on the surface of the HD, then your screwed.

Thanks for the support everyone. I'm extra gutted because I had 2 hard drives in my old machine and important files I always backup on a separate drive in case of this event, unfortunately I hadn't gotten around to backing up my latest files (typical) and the corruption seems to have selectively affected the files and folders I wanted the most. I have a program running at the moment searching for lost files so even if it manages to find only one of the recent files I may be able to finish it.

@ B_O_B I'm using PC inspector at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion.

ruckage said:
@ B_O_B I'm using PC inspector at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion.
Keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck (you'll need it)

X-Code said:
leggymcjeggy said:

Just as Sam just said :lol: , my external 160 GB HD died 2 days ago... Luckily I only had PSX Isos on it.

I keep backups of my coding work on SD cards and on at least two different HD's... I backup on average once every three or four days... It's quite failsafe now.

Depending upon the size of your source code you can always zip it up and email it to yourself as well, that way a copy resides on a remote server as well.

spoyser said:
Depending upon the size of your source code you can always zip it up and email it to yourself as well, that way a copy resides on a remote server as well.
Yeah, that's what I do, is email myself my work on a nightly basis, so I always have copies at work, at home, and online.

i had good luck with a hdd restoration program, i don't remember what it was called, i did purchase it but it was cheap. it wasn't pc inspector though. but what it did was, grab the hard drive as an image and then try to intelligently detect files.

unless you did a ton of writing to the disk while it was busted, chances are all your data is still there.

if the drive electronics are OK: hook it up as a secondary drive in another computer. do not do a disk check or any kind of OS-based repair. it will try to fix your "corrupt" data, which is most likely good data that is inaccessible because of a bad partition table or a track 0 failure.

if it's the drive electronics, which is less likely but possible, what pferguso's suggestion is your only solution.

if the problem is mechanical failure then the freezer trick may work. put it in a freezer bag and leave it for a few hours, see what happens. also giving it a quick slam (flat side down, not on a corner or anything) might buy you some time.

it's sometimes hard to tell why a drive is failing. obviously if it's clicking then there's a mechanical problem, and the heads have decided to banging against the case. if the spinning is weird or it won't spin, it's mechanics. if you have any reason to believe it's mechanical, just freeze it (in a bag) for a few hours as this does work. but if it sounds normal and acts responsive, then you probably just ended up with some corruption near the start of the drive, and a data restoration program might do the trick.

good luck ruckage. remember that your data IS recoverable as long as you haven't done anything rash, the question is just how much it is worth it to you to be able to recover it. also there may be people here who'd be willing to help if you mailed it to them.

edit: found it... http://www.dposoft.net/

Back