What Brand 16gb Sd Should I Buy For F100?

dsraa

Hey guys,

I just had the most horrible thing happen to my SD Card, granted I didn't fry it, so its not totally dead, but I cracked it moving the write protection tab foward too much.

Now it can no longer be written to. Hopefully none of my stuff is corrupted.

Anyways, I'll have to update my bios for the sdhc hack becuase I have an old f100 model.

Once I do that, I plan to buy a 16gb card, which ones do you guys recommend?

I DID DO A SEARCH, but didn't come up with anything too solid on which brand to buy.

I'll also either need to buy a new reader, or make sure it comes with an adapter, as my reader probably won't recognize the sdhc format since its about 4 years old.

IDEAS??

Damn it, I just realized I created this in the wrong area. Can a mod please move this to the GP2X area please?
DSR

Actually you probably can still write to it, if it's just the write protect switch that's buggered. At least on F100s, the GP2x ignored them - write-protect for SD-cards is done in software, after all, as far as I know.

Anyway, moved to General GP2x :)

Tobriand said:
Actually you probably can still write to it, if it's just the write protect switch that's buggered. At least on F100s, the GP2x ignored them - write-protect for SD-cards is done in software, after all, as far as I know.

Anyway, moved to General GP2x :)
Thanks for moving.

And while the Gp2x ignores it, my computer doesn't. So I can't edit anything, or delete anything off of it. Plus its time for an upgrade anyway......its nearly full, only has .4 of 4gb left.....

Last edited by a moderator:
dsraa said:
Hey guys,

I'll also either need to buy a new reader, or make sure it comes with an adapter, as my reader probably won't recognize the sdhc format since its about 4 years old.

IDEAS??

I got 2 of these readers.

http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA2029.htm

They hide the SD Card so you can use them as a USB Flash drive as well. They work like a charm, and are only $3 USD each and free shipping.

I've been using a Patriot 16 gb SDHC Class 6 in my F100 MKII for 5 months now with no problems. I recommend it highly, the build quality on the card itself is excellent (no cracking or splintering on this puppy)and read/write speeds are on par with the Trancend 4 gb 150x SD that I upgraded from. The Patriot is currently on sale at newegg.com for an unbelievable 69.99(US). Check it out here:

Patriot 16 GB class 6 SDHC

Hope this is helpful. :)

Oh, and thank you MilAmber777 for the 3 dollar card link! Originally when I got my 16 gb sdhc I paid an additional 20.00 for an sdhc card reader at amazon.com, and was saddened that I had to retire Shikaku's 3 dollar card reader in order to use sdhc. I just ordered 2 to keep on hand should mine ever crap out. B)

Milamber777 said:
dsraa said:
Hey guys,

IDEAS??

I got 2 of these readers.

http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA2029.htm

They hide the SD Card so you can use them as a USB Flash drive as well. They work like a charm, and are only $3 USD each and free shipping.

Very very nice....I plan to get 2 of these as well. One I can use for my laptop, and the other for gp2x stuff....

thanks.

DSR

Has anybody ordered anything successfully from ledshoppe.com? That's a ridiculous deal on those card readers - and they offer free shipping to the UK????!!! Is that possible? My cynicism alarm has gone off bit time - are they scammers?

Gruntfuggly said:
Has anybody ordered anything successfully from ledshoppe.com? That's a ridiculous deal on those card readers - and they offer free shipping to the UK????!!! Is that possible? My cynicism alarm has gone off bit time - are they scammers?
Yes, I've done business with them before. Check out Shikaku's review of their original 3.00 card reader (non SDHC) in the reviews section.

Shikaku's Linked in review-3 Dollar card reader

Time was when I first got my :gp2x in 2006 This was the first card reader I bought. I loved the "photon torpedo" design, using it more than once as a flash/keychain drive. It became indisputably linked with my gp2x experience,always in the carry bag with the unit. Even with some rough treatment it still works, And I've kept it for sentimental reasons, although I got a new card reader to use my 16 gb SDHC card with. Scores of people ordered them and I never heard a negative about the products.

Hope this is helpful. :)

I've bought stuff from Ledshoppe on 3 or 4 occasions, and every time it's worked out flawlessly. I've also recommended it to quite a few friends, and they all thanked me for the excellent recommendation.

EDIT: I wish they carried SDHC cards, I'd have bought one already if they did.

EDIT 2: And while we're at the SDHC subject, what firmware do you guys recommend using with the F100 nowadays? I noticed yesterday that I'm still using 2.0.0, it works with my non-SDHC 4GB card. Should I upgrade to 4, get 2.1.0 or 2.1.1? Or some other option? Will any of those break support for my non-SDHC card?

Paulo Becker said:
I've bought stuff from Ledshoppe on 3 or 4 occasions, and every time it's worked out flawlessly. I've also recommended it to quite a few friends, and they all thanked me for the excellent recommendation.

EDIT: I wish they carried SDHC cards, I'd have bought one already if they did.

EDIT 2: And while we're at the SDHC subject, what firmware do you guys recommend using with the F100 nowadays? I noticed yesterday that I'm still using 2.0.0, it works with my non-SDHC 4GB card. Should I upgrade to 4, get 2.1.0 or 2.1.1? Or some other option? Will any of those break support for my non-SDHC card?
EDIT #2

If sdhc support is what your after for your F100 then Notas' Unofficial firmware with experimental sdhc support is the only option I know of (FW 2.1.2) Find it here:

Notas Experimental SDHC Support

A detailed installation instruction can be found on this page of the post:

Notas Firmware installation Instructions

numerous people have chimed in to the post about which cards have been found to work, and which ones dont.

And no this does not break previous compatability with non sdhc cards.

Hope this is helpful :)

Morpheus384 said:
EDIT #2

If sdhc support is what your after for your F100 then Notas' Unofficial firmware with experimental sdhc support is the only option I know of (FW 2.1.2) Find it here:

numerous people have chimed in to the post about which cards have been found to work, and which ones dont.

Thanks a lot for all the info and links :)

I still haven't tried it though, partly 'cause I'm a big wuss and partly because I found a 2.1.2 firmware in the archives o_O (http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,2220)

It's apparently pre-patched with SDHC support. Can anyone who use it please reassure my coward and insecure ass that it works? Otherwise I'll try the whole 2.1.1 process. Thanks again :)

Paulo Becker said:
Morpheus384 said:
EDIT #2

Thanks a lot for all the info and links :)

I still haven't tried it though, partly 'cause I'm a big wuss and partly because I found a 2.1.2 firmware in the archives o_O (http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,2220)

It's apparently pre-patched with SDHC support. Can anyone who use it please reassure my coward and insecure ass that it works? Otherwise I'll try the whole 2.1.1 process. Thanks again :)

Paulo, read the installation instructions, and RE-read the installation instructions, and follow them exactly. The process involves installing the 2.1.1 firmware FIRST before installing the 2.1.2 firmware with the sdhc patch :blink: . Following the installation instructions exactly will let you use Notas' patched firmware. They are his instructions not mine. Links to everything you need is there including the 2.1.2 patched firmware you found.

[BEGIN QUOTE]

OK, you'll have to live with firmware 2.1.1 after you're done with this. (3.0 just seems to be 2.1.1 with slower startup times :lol: )

Read all of these instructions once before you begin. (I'm not resposible for the untimely demise of your GP2X, either. :) )

Pre-work setup:
You'll need some new/fresh rechabgable batteries, and a non-SDHC SD card (2GB or lower in size).

Step 1:
Download firmware 2.0 from the archive here.

Step2:
Put your non-SDHC SD card in your card reader. And plug the reader into your computer.

Copy everything from the card to your computer. The next part will erase everything on the card!

Format the non-SDHC SD card as FAT. (Go to My Computer, right-click on the drive letter that represents your card, then choose format. Choose FAT in the "File System..." drop-down box, and press "Start".)

Step 3:
Extract the contents to a folder, and copy everything to the non-SDHC SD card. Don't put the data in any folders on the non-SDHC SD card!

Step 4:
Put the non-SDHC SD card into your GP2X, and hold Start and Select as you turn it on. Continue to hold those buttons until the main menu comes up.

Step 5:
Format the non-SDHC SD card (again), or just delete all of the files.

Step 6:
Download firmware 2.1.1 from the archive here.

Step 7:
Extract the contents to a folder, and copy everything to the non-SDHC SD card (again). Don't put the data in any folders on the non-SDHC SD card!

Step 8:
Put the non-SDHC SD card into your GP2X, and hold Start and Select as you turn it on. Continue to hold those buttons until the main menu comes up. (Yes, you need to do this again.)

Step 9:
Delete all of the files off of your non-SDHC SD card again.

Step 10:
Get notaz's patched firmware here.

Step 11:
Extract the contents to a folder, and copy only gp2xkernel.img to the non-SDHC SD card (again again :) ). Don't put the file in any folders on the non-SDHC SD card!

Step 12:
Put the non-SDHC SD card into your GP2X, and hold Start and Select as you turn it on. Continue to hold those buttons until the main menu comes up. (This is the last time, I promise. :p )

Step 13:
Delete all of the files from your non-SDHC SD card, and put all of the files that you want to use on your SDHC card.

Step 14:
Plug in you SDHC card, and hope/pray/whatever-you-do that you SD card works.

(Sorry if my writing sounded insulting, I tried to write it for a "real idiot". :D )

--------------------
[END QUOTE]

All I can say is that I followed these instructions and now I'm using his 2.1.2 firmware with a 16 GB Class 6 SDHC Card and have been for 5 months now with no problems. As with all firmware Flashing the process is fully reverse able should you choose to do so.

One Proviso:

MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERIES ARE FULLY CHARGED OR USE A POWER ADAPTER WHEN FLASHING FIRMWARE-POWER LOSS DURING FLASHING CAN BRICK YOUR UNIT.

Hope this is helpful. ;)

Back