I Got Game Boy Micro

thejoeandchip posted on Dec 27 2005 at 05:46 AM said:
all i care about is how good nes plays on a flash cart in the micro. if the nes emulators work i will buy the micro tommorow, but if not i'll wait for a gp2x with better hardware. and if a gp2x doesn't come out with better hardware im buying a neogeo pocket color from lik sang, and if lik sang runs out before i get the chance, i will keep my zire 71 palm pilot.so, eh, ya hows those nes emus goin?

Well GBA has only a screen resolution of 240 x 160. The NES had a resolution of 256 x 240. So from that you can extrapolate how shitty NES will look on a GBA, especially text.

That resolution fits pretty well on a GP32/GP2X though :)

Instead of a NEo Pocket you may want to consider picking up a cheap GP32 BLU to play NES on. It runs almost perfect on a GP32.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I probably wouldn't recommend buying a micro for emulation purposes. I just have it for the commercial games, which is more than enough for me. :)

Oh, and the unit performs really well in sunlight. On my BLU I could see the image but barely, and it wasn't very fun. The micro is really good in sunlight, though, and very fun. :D

I love this thing. :)

i have been playing little else besides NES emulator on the micro - in that regard, it's pretty awesome.

NO, it's not as good as the NES emu on GP32 for obvious reasons. Yeah, the screen is a bit squished. do i care? when all is said and done, hell no. the games look and play excellent on that thing. it's worth the small bit of tradeoff, for me. i definitely highly recommend it if you want super-portable NES emulation.

some PC-Engine games play really well on there too! not too many, unfortunately..

hey don't feel bad I too just got a gameboy micro. Seems extra pointless for me to get one, I already have two regular GBA's, two GBA SP's, and two DS's (well, between me and my wife). But the micro looked pretty sweet to me... I kept saying how it'd be nice to have one, and lo and behold, what was under the Christmas tree for me this year? heheh... so, pointless as it seemed, my wife got me one anyways. Don't think we'll get her one though.

Honestly, I love it.... small as the display is it's super sharp, I thought text would be hard to read, not the case at all, been playing final fantasy tactics on it with no problems at all. I got a nice little case for it and now it's even more truly portable than my SP. It's almost the exact same size as my cell phone... just throw it in a pocket and go. Really nice bright colorful display... overall I'm very happy to have it, though my my SP's feel even that much more pointless.

The funny thing is... I want another SP. Apparently they just redesigned the SP and it now has a truly backlit screen (not the crappy frontlight like it used to have) and should be as bright and clear as the DS/Micro screens.... which is how it should have been to begin with. So I might trade in my old SP to get one of those. Don't ask me why because I don't rightly know!

I think the point of the micro has always been; "It looks cute, therefore people will buy it" The logistics of anything else are inconsequential. This is nintendo venturing into the domain pf ipods and PSPs and Razr cellphones, not about the function but how it looks.

Make something as sexy as possible and you'll get buyers.

It;s like they made a "greatest hits" version of the GBA but instead of giving it an ugly logo the made it a glossy "show peice".

Function is going to be different for everyone depending on how much they like looking at it. It may be greate today but the day you get sick of it is the day you either drop it in a drawer forever or buy a couple of new faceplates hoping that'll make it new in your eyes again.

far as I can tell you still can't even buy seperate face plates, none of the game stores around here have them.

Also, total suckness was the fact that the two extra faceplates mine came with were already in pretty shoddy condition when new in the box... scratches and bubble pockmarks and finger prints... booooo.

The one on the system was in good shape though.

Function is going to be different for everyone depending on how much they like looking at it. It may be greate today but the day you get sick of it is the day you either drop it in a drawer forever or buy a couple of new faceplates hoping that'll make it new in your eyes again.
A micro is very small (hence the name). It's not all looks. The size and, maybe even more so, the weight of the micro is astonishing and the only reason I wanted one. Now, when I opened up the box to find definitely the most attractive-looking consoles I've ever seen, that was a nice bonus.

I'm sure there will be a time when I put down my micro and not play it for a long while, but that will be for the same reason my N64, Genesis, GB/C lie dormant--I've moved to another gaming platform. Not because I got sick of looking at it.

Of course, your point may be true for some people, but, at least for me, it's not. :)

can you still plug the micro into the GCN for games like 4 Swords? What about plugging it into other people's GBA's for multiplayer?

I've seen Micros in a couple of stores that are packaged separeatly with about a half dozen faceplates, I would be shocked it Nintendo.com themselves werent selling them but if they arnt they will soon.

As for conectivity from what i;ve seen you can use the GBA wireless multiplayer adapter so I cant imagine it being so differently shaped that you cant use the link cables.

The micro has a single combined port that serves for charging and linking. It's not shaped like any prior GBA port. You can link to other GBAs of any variety, but you need a special adapter. There's a special GBA micro wireless peripheral.

No micro-GCN link cable though; I guess Nintendo felt it would just be a waste at this point in the game. Can't really blame them... <_<

By the way, Nintendo sells a couple faceplates on their store but not many...

I think the point of the micro has always been; "It looks cute, therefore people will buy it" The logistics of anything else are inconsequential. This is nintendo venturing into the domain pf ipods and PSPs and Razr cellphones, not about the function but how it looks.

I agree that this is Nintendo's way of testing water on new design direction; just like DS was an experiment for Revo.

old sega master system/game gear games look excellent on it too (great compatibility, loopy's pocketSMS) and even a bunch of old mono game boy games -- black and white though they may be -- just come off great on it (again, you need loopy's emulator for it). those games aren't about looks, but just playability, and there's tons of them in there that just play really really fun. this machine is not able to compete with PSP's ridiculous sexiness, but these games are so much more fun to me, i'll trade looks for ease and fun anyday.

i wish i could have my DrMD running on it though, that would be the icing. nope, never gonna happen!

Shinneri> Seriously? geez I remember seeing early shots of it that looked like they had attached the old cables, they must have changed the design slightly. kindof an annoying move.

i'm not sure if the ds was an experiment to see how the revolution would fare, but i will say that i just picked up warioware twisted and it is making me very excited to see what the revolution will be capable of.

i'm not sure if the ds was an experiment to see how the revolution would fare, but i will say that i just picked up warioware twisted and it is making me very excited to see what the revolution will be capable of.

wtf? What in the hell does the DS have to do with anything regarding the revolution? And why would Wariorware twisted make you excited about the revolution and what its capable of? are you saying you'd be excited if the revolution can produce gaming capable of a game that could be a GBA game at best if it had a touch screen?

I agree that this is Nintendo's way of testing water on new design direction; just like DS was an experiment for Revo.
wtf? What in the hell does the DS have to do with anything regarding the revolution? And why would Wariorware twisted make you excited about the revolution and what its capable of? are you saying you'd be excited if the revolution can produce gaming capable of a game that could be a GBA game at best if it had a touch screen?

Read the first quote and the last quote. I'm simply amazed that people have incredible ability to turn something into totally unrelated thing when the quote is passed down only a few steps. Amazing... :eek: And, what warioware twisted (GBA game) has to do with touch screen, or DS? :blink: Sometimes, the train of thinking is so hard to follow, since they're all over the places. :p

i'm not sure if the ds was an experiment to see how the revolution would fare,
but i will say that i just picked up warioware twisted and it is making me very excited to see what the revolution will be capable of.

i'm not sure if the ds was an experiment to see how the revolution would fare,
but i will say that i just picked up warioware twisted and it is making me very excited to see what the revolution will be capable of.

rokdcasbah mentioned "i'm not sure if the ds was an experiment to see how the revolution would fare". That means rokdcashbah denied the linkage between DS and revolution that I suggested. And then, he mentioned about his liking of his GBA game, which is totally separate thing to DS, let alone touch screen. So, rokdcasbah and I was not even agreeing with each other! :p

Back