source: Click here
glitched translation to bad english: Click here

05.06.2009, 16:15
Discuss
Bookmark
Friend
Print

Interior: Killerspiel ban decided

Bloodstained Controller: According to the minister a logical consequence of ego-shooters. The Conference of Interior Ministers of Germany's 16 federal states in Bremerhaven has decided to ban so-called "killer games" as quickly as possible. " The step is a consequence of the Amoklauf of Winnenden and prevent future running amok.

Even before the Bundestag in September, according to the will of the Interior a comprehensive distribution and manufacturing ban "for games in which an essential part of the plot of the virtual reality exercise described killing or other acts of cruel or otherwise inhuman acts of violence against human beings or human-like is, in effect.

Uwe Schürmann, CDU interior minister of Lower Saxony, based its approval on the decision against the newspaper online world: "By Killerspiele reduces inhibitions to violence. Have been running amok in front of their deeds repeatedly employs with such games."

To make the ban law takes effect, must, however, the Bundestag passed the decision of the Interior to connect. According to the minister is already a law in the coming weeks or months to the vote. (cel)

even though the translation is not perfect. Anyone who has a decent under standing of things. Can understand that Violent Video games are going to be banned soon in Germany. That means no more quake on the Pandora Video from ED.

Whats you guys thoughts about this? I know it doesn't effect me since I live in the states. And it doesn't effect most of the members here. But I know we have some German members here which includes ED. So this effects them greatly.

Here's a better link
If this were passed, ED could still upload videos, as it would only outlaw production and distribution; doesn't make it anything short of ridiculous though.

EDIT: Does this fall under that "German culture is different, blah blah blah" thing that was brought up during the Iron Cross debate, or is it still ridiculous?

It's unlikely to affect Pandora in any way. Pandora has agents on every continent. :ph34r: Sounds like it could really suck to be a German gamer right now though. Hopefully it doesn't get passed.

these politicians are such ball-suckers. they don't even know what a 'killerspiel' is, there is no definition. they are just trying to gather votes. next thing to be banned will be the daily news. there so much blood omg!

well that probably means that i have to buy all my games over the internet. amazon.co.uk here i come!

BTW this new law is in violation with the german constitution, the "Grundgesetz". We´re supposed to have freedom of science and arts, but does our government care? It´s incredibly infuriating. How can they undermine the very foundations of a demorcratic, free society like this? I just wonder what they'll forbid next.

Well now at least i'll have an excuse for pirating games.

This is complete bullshit. I really hate the German government, they are so gullible. Some asshole goes postal and what do they ban? Videogames... wtf? How about banning firearms? How about taking care of the fucking children in this country so that they won't see a need to go around killing their schoolmates? How about telling parents to check on their children's exposure to violent media like parents are supposed to? Just cause a bunch of fucktard politicians want to get a couple of quick votes in... weak.

BTW: This has nothing to do with the swastika discussion and I won't get into this debate again, you can read all about it in the discussion cube.

If it's not one extreme it's the other (seperation by over half a century and entirely different generations aside).

:p

Haven't certain high ranking officials in the US been trying to ban violent video games for years now?

They tried that a couple of times. Hardly a year goes by without Bavaria trying to ban violent video games. Let's hope they fail as usual.
By the way §131 StGB already allows banning of violent video games, but only a handful are banned (Mortal Kombat 1-3, Dead Rising, Condemned 1-2, Manhunt, Scarface, SoF:payback).

Edit: I should have added that a lot more films are banned based on §131 StGB, including classics like The Evil Dead, Dawn/Day of the Dead (originals) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), totally harmless movies like Phantasm or The Blind Dead 3, really good ones like Braindead or half of Fulci's Zombie-films and even quite mainstream movies like Friday the 13th 3 & 4 or Hostel 2. All in all over 100 movies are banned in Germany.

I really dont understand why governments cant just leave games alone. Really sucky some of these ideas, hopefully wont get passed.

what's the point of this? banning violent video games will only increase the level of germans playing violent video games. don't blame the video games, blame the people going postal.

What a dead birth. Those politicians are living under a rock. A prohibition will just hit the games industry by forcing people to pirate their games. Those games will be getting even more attractive if they are illegal.
Die große Koalition kotzt mich dermaßen an!
The Bundestag should send a delegation to China to learn the newest methods of censorship.

Btw, those kinds of laws are basically useless, if they don't apply Europe-wide. Just buy online via the Netherlands or other countries and there you go :lol:

Relax, we've got elections in September so all the attention-whoring politicians are letting gas out their brains like crazy.
All that is set is that these ministers decided to promote a ban. The ban itself is not decided at all and as usual will be forgotten after the elections (until the next metal-fps-paintball emo kid runs amok).

edit: And it is not allowed to promote Quake at the moment anyways, it is "indexed" in Germany.

Alternatively, ED can always upload videos from another country using a non-German YouTube account.
The fact that someone might be able to circumvent the law doesn't change how bad the law is and that German citizens should stand up and fight this law. Unless I am misinformed, isn't Germany supposed to have free speech?
Germany went down this road once before, they don't want to go down it again. Anytime people loose freedom of expression or freedom of speech only bad things can come of it. I'm not implying anything with the above reference, it's just that the "moral" right, is a place filled with ugliness and nobody but kooks want to be there, so they dress it up as something that it's not. German citizens should take this very seriously. The logical next step would be television and music, after all German values and morals are at stake. Right?

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't certain high ranking officials in the US been trying to ban violent video games for years now?
They've been trying, but there is no way to succeed. The first amendment makes banning any kind of video game illegal.
Oh, wait until the video game companies need a bailout and gov owns them, then we will get 1950's style leave it to beaver video games. No need to censor, just buy them. Already we can buy a government made car, finance it with a loan from a gov owned bank, buy gov owned insurance policy... They were even going to buy a newspaper!!! State owned media, just what we need. Instead of creating or saving 600,000 jobs, we can change it to like 100 million a month (Nancy Pelosi can be the release person).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back