I Have A Question About Emus And Roms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjamonkey

Still Fresh
Ok, for those of you how have a wii (even an xbox 360) know how they have old games for download onto the system, with online play and all that good stuff. Would it be possible to emulate that sort of thing on something like the pandora. If you think about it, if this is possible n64 emu might be simplier on the pandora. Think about it, if you made a file which was encrypted with the files nessecary to execute the rom, it would take up (possibly) less space and maybe even less power than a full flegde n64 emulator.

First of all, I have NO clue what you are asking, as you obviously don't read what you type. Are you talking about Enhanced Virtual Console Games, or an emulator for a Homebrew-Enabled Wii that supports online play?

If you are talking about the latter, there is a client (the name escapes me right now) that allows for emulators to connect together across the internet. Could the pandora have it? Probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ninjamonkey, you have no idea what you are talking about. What makes you think that the Xbox 360 or Wii emulators aren't fully fledged emulators? What happens on the Virtual Console is that you are basically downloading roms to use on an emulator built into the system.

"Would it be possible to emulate that sort of thing on something like the pandora"

Where you download ROMs?
Of course.
You could download some ROMs and then play them. No big deal.

" If you think about it, if this is possible n64 emu might be simplier on the pandora"

No... The reason we might not get an N64 emu is because the Pandora isn't powerful enough to emulate the N64 without a really good recompiler, and nobody's working on it yet.

" if you made a file which was encrypted with the files nessecary to execute the rom, it would take up (possibly) less space and maybe even less power than a full flegde n64 emulator."

What??

"encrypted with the files nessecary to execute the rom"

Like the emulator we don't have yet??

"it would take up (possibly) less space and maybe even less power than a full flegde n64 emulator."

No, there's no such thing as part of an emulator. You need the whole emulator to play any one game. And it will always take much more power than running code natively, which is why we're not sure whether the Pandora will even be capable of emulation yet.

Please, learn more about computers and emulation before you post such things.

lulzfish, why is there annoying flashing text in your avatar? What do I support...? (Opera 9.6)

Perhaps he is talking about a port of the Wii's N64 emulator, and the way it is packaged? With the rom + modified files just for that game so it works right?

'fischju2000' said:
lulzfish, why is there annoying flashing text in your avatar? What do I support...? (Opera 9.6)
APNG - animated PNG

Ah, I guess I'm in the '+' part of 'Firefox 3.0+' (his sig) then.

I am trying to turn this into a browser flame war, just a little

Yeah, APNG is fairly new and not widespread, so only the cutting-edge browsers seem to have support for it built-in.

"Perhaps he is talking about a port of the Wii's N64 emulator, and the way it is packaged? With the rom + modified files just for that game so it works right?"

I suppose, but it seems like a lot of effort to optimize an emulator for a specific ROM. And I don't think that will really change the fact that it's hard to emulate.

Perhaps you could do something like static recompiling, where a recompiler scans the ROM and compiles it to native code, so you don't have the overhead of compiling or interpreting when you run it.

But that's hardly what he mentioned. I still don't understand why he was talking about the Wii..

'lulzfish' said:
Yeah, APNG is fairly new and not widespread, so only the cutting-edge browsers seem to have support for it built-in.
Are you oblivious to the fact that rapidly blinking things are annoying?

He somehow seems to think that the wii has a different kind of emulator that works better. He obviously has no idea whatsoever what he's talking about.

'midna25' said:
He somehow seems to think that the wii has a different kind of emulator that works better. He obviously has no idea whatsoever what he's talking about.
It is ninjamonkey, the fourm troll.

"Are you oblivious to the fact that rapidly blinking things are annoying?"

Now, let's not get caught up in criticizing each other's avatars and having browser wars.

This thread is about .... something. Something related to the N64, I guess. I can't quite tell.

But, stay on topic, whatever that topic is!

'lulzfish' said:
"Are you oblivious to the fact that rapidly blinking things are annoying?"

Now, let's not get caught up in criticizing each other's avatars and having browser wars.

This thread is about .... something. Something related to the N64, I guess. I can't quite tell.

But, stay on topic, whatever that topic is!
you know, im less enraged by the blinking and more enraged by the stupid as fuck demotivator

You can't even read the secondary line of the demotivator. "Stupid" implies judgement on the content rather than the tiny size, so why does it enrage you...?

Ninjamonkey is talking about distributing packages which combine emulators and ROMs; i.e. being able to just download an application to play Super Mario 64 from the file archive.

THIS IS ILLEGAL, YOU KNOW

it enrages him because he obviously knows and has seen every internet meme that exists tot he point where they're all old and the very sight of then causes him intense pain.

Monkey. the difference between the emmulators that we use and the official ones that the wii and other consoles use is that their emmulators are coded by people who know exacly how to trick and optimize system performance to immitate other hardware to run the ROMs they provide. ROMS which are specially packaged and encrypted to be more user friendly.

There's nothing special about what they do beyond the fact that they have access to technical documents that freelance coders have to guess at.

'Alpha2' said:
it enrages him because he obviously knows and has seen every internet meme that exists tot he point where they're all old and the very sight of then causes him intense pain.

Monkey. the difference between the emmulators that we use and the official ones that the wii and other consoles use is that their emmulators are coded by people who know exacly how to trick and optimize system performance to immitate other hardware to run the ROMs they provide. ROMS which are specially packaged and encrypted to be more user friendly.

There's nothing special about what they do beyond the fact that they have access to technical documents that freelance coders have to guess at.
I hope hating anything that's a "meme" never becomes one.

... oops, forget I said that :/

'atomicthumbs' said:
Ninjamonkey is talking about distributing packages which combine emulators and ROMs; i.e. being able to just download an application to play Super Mario 64 from the file archive.

THIS IS ILLEGAL, YOU KNOW
Yeah, there's no way for Pandora to legally provide ROMs for games they haven't produced.
The best they can do is provide an emulator and tell people to "please just play games you already bought / made yourself".

Nintendo and Microsoft can sell ROMs because they own the games already.

'ninjamonkey' said:
Ok, for those of you how have a wii (even an xbox 360) know how they have old games for download onto the system, with online play and all that good stuff. Would it be possible to emulate that sort of thing on something like the pandora. If you think about it, if this is possible n64 emu might be simplier on the pandora. Think about it, if you made a file which was encrypted with the files nessecary to execute the rom, it would take up (possibly) less space and maybe even less power than a full flegde n64 emulator.
Seriously... just stop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back