I Have The New Blus

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
OK I got the new BLU's from GP today, interestingly they come with a gamepark screen cloth ;)

Anyway, the new blu is brighter and has timer issues (as far as i can see so far).

Do we have a list of programs which cause the screen problem? I'm about to try doom.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

The time issues are serious, pinball dreams plays in slow motion, and games with the static sound bug are much much worse.

Fortunately most new software and emus work fine.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

craigix posted on Dec 13 2004 at 05:07 PM said:
OK I got the new BLU's from GP today, interestingly they come with a gamepark screen cloth ;)

Anyway, the new blu is brighter and has timer issues (as far as i can see so far).

Do we have a list of programs which cause the screen problem? I'm about to try doom.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Try the ones you know which are compiled with Mr. Mirko's SDK.
It looks like the problem is somewhere there.

Last edited:
The time issues are serious, pinball dreams plays in slow motion

Oooh... That sucks. I thought GP said commercial games are OK. Guess not. The extra bright screen sounds good tho, altho my Toshiba BLU seems bright enough for me.

OK i've seen the white bar on the clock speed tester, the lower part of it looks like memory is <<4 and copied twice for 2 * 8 blocks, then it becomes transparent. for 3*8 then white for 8.

top of screen going down
00 looks ok
08 one pixel out
16 white, palette issue
24 almost white, palette issue
32 ""
48 ""
56 palette error, about <<4 on one colour maybe
64 "" (and same bit of memory)
72 fine for the rest of the screen

-Craig

www.gbax.com

craigix posted on Dec 13 2004 at 05:12 PM said:

Wait a sec - Pinball Dreams isn't playable?
Time to contact GamePark again, as they clearly stated ALL commercial games run fine, right?

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Dec 13 2004 at 04:16 PM said:
craigix posted on Dec 13 2004 at 05:12 PM said:

Wait a sec - Pinball Dreams isn't playable?
Time to contact GamePark again, as they clearly stated ALL commercial games run fine, right?

Wasn't there a boxed version of Pinball Dreams? And if so, doesn't this basically mean those games are just screwed on the new BLU's? Altho I guess it's possible a patch could be released.

What a mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this is sad... what the hell is going on with Gamepark anyways?? I would consider those GP32s faulty, and this is definitely gonna dissappoint anybody with plans of getting a BLU, because either Gamepark will have to handle this as "faulty GP32s" or some coders will have to make two versions of their apps just to be compatible with both, and that would be a pain in the ass for the coders that even can do that.

Time to post in the marketplace for a used BLU...

No 2 versions won't be needed, as long as the program sticks to the sdk rules it should be ok, the only problem i've seen with sdk is that top line is at the bottom error, which you don't notice unless you are looking for it and i've only so far seen it in castaway.

90% of programs work fine, its very similar to the Amiga500+ issue.

Gamepark should have called this blu the BLU+ or something so its easy to tell what you have without messing about.

I'm pretty sure this situation will be solved by the new year.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

@Craigix: any chance you could try GPengine and report back? as this is no longer being worked on or the source code lost it would be good to know before deciding to buy one or not.

Jarska333 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 05:10 PM said:
GPEngine works fine. :D

I thought GPengine had the top line on the bottom issue on the new BLU's? Not that it's a big issue.

Well, I did not notice the firstlineatbotteom thing, so it's a minor issue.

SMS32 refused to save states because I had not a "savs" directory on my SMC. Maybe the same thing...

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 13 2004 at 06:09 PM said:
GPEngine 0.4 has not only that 1st line at the bottom but it DOES NOT SAVE your gamestate. Dunno why :(
Save states are not fully implemented in gpengine. I think I remember reading once that it does save, but it doesn't load them again. Or something like that.

GPengine will hold your game while you go to options and change frame rates or sound settings untill you click back to the the game but from one play session to the next (System off and on) it has no save states.

I've thought of a few things...

Gamepark could put a chip in that moves the info over to the right porch positon
(am I getting this right?) before going to the LCD controller chip.

Gamepark could look for a more compatible screen, or put in the original.

Gamepark has to do something about it, because at their standpoint, it's faulty
if official apps don't run right.

And to Gamepark... A cleaning cloth can't wipe off the white bar... :)

Back