i have to reflash pandora every days or 2 days...

ahahah

hello

i don't know what causes this but very often when i boot the pandora after the progress bar is complete and when the screen becomes black, the loading process stops at the black screen with this message as last line:

"irectorycan't read '/lib/modules/3.2.30/kernel/drivers/gpu/pvr/bufferclass_ti.ko': no such file or d"

this stays at the screen and i can't do anything else to continue the loading process and load xfce4.

the keyboard is active because at this screen i can write.

i don't know what can do this. i use the pandora normally (play often with pcsx) and i'm not a tester and don't do anything that could trouble the OS.

i have the 1ghz edition.

i always boot with the sd card inserted.

when the OS stops to load i try to reboot without the sd card but without different result, so i have to reflash the pandora and reupgrade the OS to continue using the pandora until after some utilizations i can't boot again with the same symptom.

- is there something i can do that can force to continue the loading process? (a sort of "safe mode")

- and why this thing happens? according to the message it seems to be a missing file. why does it disappear?

- could it be a hardware or a software problem?

thanks for your help i'm tired to reflash the pandora every days :(

Last edited by a moderator:
am sure someone with something more usefull will pipe up soon if your constantly re-flashing, are you always using the same copy of SuperZaxxon vor have you tried downloading a fresh copy incase yuor download didnt complete corectly. Also i know its something forced upon yourself at this point in time but continual re-flashes are not recomended as it generally will cauase more problems further down the line rather than being a quick fix for issues.

the first time you run the os and do the setup it takes along time for it to boot up anyways.

I think you could be using an old version of the os. Also sometimes problems occur with sd card data and shit.

Try getting a fresh download of the os and put it on a formatted sd card with nothing else on the card. Then try a re-flash again.

The version on your card may be bad or such.

am sure someone with something more usefull will pipe up soon if your constantly re-flashing, are you always using the same copy of SuperZaxxon vor have you tried downloading a fresh copy incase yuor download didnt complete corectly. Also i know its something forced upon yourself at this point in time but continual re-flashes are not recomended as it generally will cauase more problems further down the line rather than being a quick fix for issues.
i have downloaded it several times and before the flashing operation the crc was checked by the system and was apparently good.

if i can't even reflash i start to be afraid. what can i do else?

the first time you run the os and do the setup it takes along time for it to boot up anyways.

I think you could be using an old version of the os. Also sometimes problems occur with sd card data and shit.

Try getting a fresh download of the os and put it on a formatted sd card with nothing else on the card. Then try a re-flash again.

The version on your card may be bad or such.
but even if it is an old version when i upgrade the OS normally the files should be up to date, shouldn't they?

anyway, i took the file from here http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/10374-superzaxxon-v152-released/

is there a newer version?

do you think it could be a problem with either the sd card quality or maybe a component inside the pandora?

there isn't something like a "safe mode" to help accessing xfce4?

What about the SD card you're using to flash the OS - if it's not the greatest, you could run into trouble. Give it a format with the Panasonic installer before you put the firmware flash image on it, or better still, use another card to do it.

yes it is possible, i think i'm going to buy i new sd card to be sure it is not the problem.

i've found a 8gb kingston sd card that i've forgotten i had.

i've used the panasonic sd formatting tool to format this card.

i wish the problem won't appear again. if it does, i could think there is something wrong with my unit... :(

but wait and see

just one other question, if the installation is well done with a good quality card, is it possible that after the installation when all is installed, that a bad quality card (used for my pnd/applications/music) can cause damage to the os?

i ask this because when i boot the pandora with a sd card inserted in the slot, i notice during the loading process of the OS that the LED for the sd card access is active. that means something in the card loads at the same time as the os, and if the card is not good i thought it can damage the OS. can't it?

I don't think it will cause damage. Your problem might be related to extractingerrors during the reflash.

Once the firmware is installed, a bad cars should not damage the OS, since the card is the card, and the NAND is the NAND...right?

I mean, some evil program COULD write something to the NAND that might mess things up, but the card itself would be no trouble.

Unless I'm wrong, the OS writes to the NAND.  PND programs normally write to the card, not the NAND.  I can't speak for any of the alternate OS's you may decide to try to use, such as Android.  I personally have shied away from doing that sort of stuff, because I'm afraid to screw something up but that's me.

I don't think it will cause damage. Your problem might be related to extractingerrors during the reflash.
what do you mean by "extracting errors"?

Once the firmware is installed, a bad cars should not damage the OS, since the card is the card, and the NAND is the NAND...right?
yes i'm ok with that. but i noticed that during the boot sequence, the pandora access to the sd card. i wonder what is the reason of that.

what do you mean by "extracting errors"?

Errors reading the card while flashing the firmware. The files on the NAND have to be extracted from the firmware image on the card you are installing it from.

yes i'm ok with that. but i noticed that during the boot sequence, the pandora access to the sd card. i wonder what is the reason of that.

That would be when the OS first scans your card for PNDs so it can populate the menus and desktop.

- Neelix

ok here is the situation...:

i've just had a session of playing with pcsx as usual and have deleted some .bin file ps1 games. (1gb) i have deleted them permanently with the shift key (because when i upgrade the os the trash is not desactivated and i am the only person with who it doesn't want to desactivate...)

i precise this but maybe there is nothing interesting in this.

when finished i wanted to launch firefox 17, i had an error message that says it can't launch.

so i wanted to launch the pnd store, but nothing happened at all.

ok so i reboot the pandora, and now after the progress bar, the black screen displays:

init: entering runlevel:5

starting system message bus: dbus

starting hardware bastraction layer hald

run-parks: /etc/dbus-1/event.d/20hal exited with code 1

configuring leds:

pandora::bluetooth: bluetooth

pandora::charger: twl4030_bci_battery-chargin

pandora::keypad_bl:none

pandora::power: default-on

pandora::sd1:mmc0

pandora::sd2:mmc1

pandora::wifi:phy0radio

staring network connectin manager daemon: netwokmanager

starting pandora startup script daemmon: opruninit

OP_STARTUP: /etc/pandora/first-boot exists, not first boot.

networkmanager: ************** start **************

starting pandora pnd event daemon: pndevmapperd.

starting pandora pnd daemon: pndnotifyd

starting pvr

insmod: can't read '/lib/modules/3.2.30/kernel.drivers/gpu/pvr/bufferclass_ti.ko': no such file or directory

networkmanager: 0x403bac64 in waitpid () from /lib/libpthread.so.0

networkmanager:  ******************* end ******************

and now again i cant do anything

but i had installed the os with an other card that was formatted with the panasonic tool.

so either my data sdcard corrupt the system (but i have been told that it can't), or the problem comes from my unit.

i'm really worried, i can't use my pandora normally

It looks like something on your nand gets corrupted unless you do anybing special with your system after reflashing...

This could be the first non working nandchip. But maybe wait until someone with more in depth knowledge about hard or software answers this.

Even if the NAND is defective, it would be unlikely that each time the same thing happens... we've got UBIFS there, which is a filesystem that uses different blocks each time to prevent wearing out.

So it's highly unlikely it always kills the same file.

The interesting thing is that apps like FireFox stopped working while you were in the system.

The question is: Does this affect only PNDs on the SD Card or did all PNDs stop working?

You tried to load PNDStore, which is located on the NAND, however, it also accesses the SD Card, so it might've been something different.

The other thing is that Linux can go crazy if an SD Card which is currently being accessed to suddenly fails... it's very unlikely that this will cause NAND corruption as well, but you never know what some misbehaving SD Cards could possible make the system do...

Could you try a few more things, please?

1. Only use that 8GB card for a test, don't use the other one.

2. If it still kills the system: Don't use any SD Card at all. Only use stuff on the OS, play around with it, do some hard resets (Pandora + Powerswitch) and see if you can kill the system with that. If you can't kill it without SD Card, then it should be something with the SD Card.

3. When it happens, try to launch something like Settings/LCD-Settings and report back if these still work. Those are PNDs that are on the internal NAND.

You could also try with a sdcard in the left or right slot only.

yes i will try that, i have used a lot of time today on it and to write in the forum (the english is not my native language so i am very long to write or read something (google translate is my friend)) , i have other things to do so i will probably be not very rapid for the tests, but i will do them.

i've forgotten to mention that before rebooting: with pndmanager (which worked) i've uninstalled firefox because i thought a reinstallation could fix the problem, and i have deleted its appdata folder but its icon stays on the desktop.

so i have ejected the sd card to "refresh" the desktop but only the sdcard icon disappears from the desktop the other icon apps shortcuts/launchers didn't disappeared. i reinserted it and retryed to refresh the desktop but the other icons stayed an other time.

i remember the problems began the 1st day after i received my pandora.

i have received it in january the 3rd: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11366-omg/

and booting problems have begun the day after: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11376-pandora-doesnt-boot-anymore/

i will keep you informed.

Another possibility might be to try an older version of the os. it may work fine on your unit. Or at least you may know if its a hardware thing. Id bet my bottom dollar its some weird software thing.

Some strange stuff happened to me over the years with the pandy. software stuff.

Which applications are being run? Mind you, they'd have to ask for root to corrupt something, and likely they'd have been noticed before.. but.. weird!

jeff

after few sessions with this other sd card it has just stopped to boot again. i write you the precedent lines maybe they can help you

"starting pandora pnd deamon: pndnotifyd

modem-manager: loaded plugin anydata

modem-manager: loaded plugin longcheer

modem-manager: loaded plugin novatel

modem-manager: loaded plugin simtech

modem-manager: loaded plugin generic

modem-manager: loaded plugin nokia

modem-manager: loaded plugin gobi

modem-manager: loaded plugin huawei

irectorycan't read '/lib/modules/3.2.30/kernel/drivers/gpu/pvr/bufferclass_ti.ko': no such file or d"

and nothing else happens

i've noticed that at the very begining of this "bad boot", just after i release the power button it was written "uncorrectable error" at the 1st screen, it disappears very quickly, there was some other things written but it was too quick for me to read them.

I have reboot again and now the "uncorrectable error" line doesn't appear, but the result is not different...

wrath of khan: if you have a link for an older version i could do the test. this link http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/9533-superzaxxon-v151-released/ is the same than the actual release.

skeezix: i have installed pndmanager, pcsx, gpsp, mypaint, stella remix, reminiscence, snes9x4p, the upgrade from firefox 17 to firefox 18, uae4all and cap32.

Back