I Just Got My Caanoo

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
I just picked up openXile's Caanoo unit from UPS (finally)

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun with it. There's some really cool games, including Zero Wing for some reason (they set us up the bomb). Rhythmos is impossibly fun, but there's only 3 or so songs on there at the moment. Hopefully people can start making song packs, like with Osu! and we'll see some songs that we actually know.

Quote suggested I start this thread, and it's a good idea, because I can answer any question you have about the device. So ask ahead!

ED said that the screen bezel actually covered up part of the LCD. Is it very noticeable? How many pixels do you think we've lost? :)

q1 over clock the baby and tell me how much she can handle without burning up please.

q2 do you think its bette than the wiz?

q3 whats the battery life like?

q4 what is build quality like does it feel cheap or quality.

q5 is video playback smothe and fast?

q6 what emulaters are inc wi te pack?

q7 do any wiz emulaters fire up on the baby.

quote said:
ED said that the screen bezel actually covered up part of the LCD. Is it very noticeable? How many pixels do you think we've lost? :)

Now you've mentioned it, I can see. Kinda. It's very visible in one menu screen which is on some of the licensed arcade games. The top few rows of pixels are covered, and in this case the title of the menu. It's probably not a massive deal when playing games, but it's gonna have to be something developers remember when coding games and apps.

I'll take a photo later.

jutley said:
q1 over clock the baby and tell me how much she can handle without burning up please.

q2 do you think its bette than the wiz?

q3 whats the battery life like?

q4 what is build quality like does it feel cheap or quality.

q5 is video playback smothe and fast?

q6 what emulaters are inc wi te pack?

q7 do any wiz emulaters fire up on the baby.

1. There's no programs that will let me overclock at the moment. I'll see what I can do RE this question.

2. I do think so, yeah. Although the lack of a Dpad is disappointing, the stick is more than competent enough to be a good replacement. Unless you love your fighting games, I think you'll be pleased there. The console itself feels a lot better than the Wiz in terms of build quality. The Wiz felt very light and hollow whereas the Caanoo has a kind of solid quality to it. Aesthetically it's a lot nicer too. Something I just noticed: when the Caanoo is on, there's a blue light, when it's charging, it's red. However when you are playing while charging, there's a beautiful combined shade of purple.

3. Unsure about battery life, I'm charging now, and then I'll see how long it takes to run it down.

4. Build quality is great. Really feels like a Sony or a Nintendo product.

5. Videos look amazing on the screen. I'm uploading a vid to youtube at the moment which shows the media functions. It shows how smooth the video playback is, but the camera is at an awkward angle, so the colours look a bit weird.

6. There's a Neo Geo emulator and a MAME one. I've been playing Bust a Move all day ;)

7. Not sure about Wiz programs, I imagine not, but I will check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell come on people get ordering your preorder with all the above this things gonna be hot and sell out quick and dont say i am getting a pandora instead pandora is in a different leage i have a pandora on order aswell why? cause i like them both and there should be no war between both the devices they are both great devices in there own nice way i hate when people start bithchin about oh pandora is better or caanoo is crap blaa blaa blaa infact they are both great handhelds and you know pandora is always gonna be the daddy but hell come on give the caanoo a damm chance too.

and sorry if i upset anyone but thats how i feel take it or hate it.

Nova said:
quote said:
Now you've mentioned it, I can see. Kinda. It's very visible in one menu screen which is on some of the licensed arcade games. The top few rows of pixels are covered, and in this case the title of the menu. It's probably not a massive deal when playing games, but it's gonna have to be something developers remember when coding games and apps.
I'll take a photo later.
Thanks, it doesn't sound that bad.
And regarding the emulators, I was going to say 'I doubt GPH will ship them with the retail units', but then there wouldn't be much point in porting them. Maybe they'll allow them on fungp.com. At least they're coding some things themselves though.

I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to say this, but GPH is planning a worldwide emulator coding contest.

Apologies for the quality, was meant to be a quick vid showing off the Caanoo's multimedia capabilities, and I hate talking in front of (or indeed behind) the camera. Also, my hand looks like a piece of mince.

Thanks for the vid. Gotta love a bit of Mumford and Sons :).

Nova said:
GPH is planning a worldwide emulator coding contest.
Did they tell you this privately? Because I don't remember them ever being specific towards emulators for it.

^ Good news.

Do you have a USB gamepad to try? I'm pretty sure MAME4ALL has support for it.

quote said:
^ Good news.

Do you have a USB gamepad to try? I'm pretty sure MAME4ALL has support for it.

I just tried a PSX to USB converter, but it looked like the console couldn't produce enough power to work it. I'll keep trying though.

Edit: there was a USB>On option in the menu which makes the PSX controller light up, but it does nothing. Can't find the option for usb pad in mame though.

can we have a vid of afterburner on mame please i really want to see how afterburner looks on this baby.

Hi Nova,

Did you get a wifi dongle with the caanoo, or do you know anything about it? Specifically, its size? Connections issues? Useful for anything?

/Uni

yea cause i want to buy the tiny wify dongle on this thread hope it works

Ah craigx we found you we need to talk about negotiations about supplying pandoras outerspace into the m-nebula galaxy do you think you can find the time for this craigx please go here

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55486-who-deleted-the-outer-space-thread/

Orion4874 said:
How's the screen in sunlight? Can you actually see anything? That's one thing I loved about the Wiz.
It's probably the same as most LCDs - pretty poor. I guess it mostly depends on screen brightness levels?

1. There's no programs that will let me overclock at the moment. I'll see what I can do RE this question.

Hmm, what's with MAME4all? You can set the clock for each game there...

can we have a vid of afterburner on mame please i really want to see how afterburner looks on this baby.

Unfortunately MAME4all don't support Afterburner

quote said:
Orion4874 said:
How's the screen in sunlight? Can you actually see anything? That's one thing I loved about the Wiz.
It's probably the same as most LCDs - pretty poor. I guess it mostly depends on screen brightness levels?
Idk, I can say my Dingoo's screen is much better outside compared to a PSP or the GP2X, they're pretty much useless in sunlight. It's still not great but I figured it was because LCD technology had progressed since those handhelds.

sbock said:

Hmm, what's with MAME4all? You can set the clock for each game there...

Unfortunately MAME4all don't support Afterburner

Ah so you can.

900, 850, 800, 750, 700 all tested with Metal Slug, but it locks up at all. Highest I could go was 650. Don't know if it's just the software or whether the 800mhz overclocking is a fallacy.

Back