I Need A Gadget To Tide Me Over Till The Pandora!

Get a Toptoy DS, and a DS if you don't have one already. The TTDS is obtainable for $8-13, and lets to have MicroSD cards in your slot 1 cartridge slot.

There's nice homebrew games and emulators for the Nintendo DS that's enabled by this. The Nintendo DS is also going to continue to have great games that are unplayable on the Pandora, so you could kill two birds with one stone.

maxSteiner said:
I honestly don't mind waiting till January, or maybe even feb to get my Pandora,
:blink:

I would. I'm pretty sure it won't be that bad. Also, I definitely wouldn't appreciate my hacked PSP-toting friends laughing their ass off at me over the christmas season over another missed date.

What made you think Jan/Feb? 20th december fair enough, but in 2009? Craig himself said this wasn't a project to drift off into 2009.

Edit:

maxSteiner said:
Its all about aiming low, keeping your options open and having realistic expectations you know?
sorry, just read around the latest updates on the forum. back in August, mid-december seemed like a low-aimed date. I didn't think a jan/feb release was all that likely... just been looking forward to christmas. never mind, apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm.... A DS or a PSP was something I hadn't even considered :D
They're both really cheap these days as well.... the thing that puts me off the DS though, is its clearly not designed for my decadent western hands!
.... Hmmmm but I bet a DS phat is even cheaper :D

CC_machine said:
maxSteiner said:
I honestly don't mind waiting till January, or maybe even feb to get my Pandora,
:blink:

I would. I'm pretty sure it won't be that bad. Also, I definitely wouldn't appreciate my hacked PSP-toting friends laughing their ass off at me over the christmas season over another missed date.

What made you think Jan/Feb? 20th december fair enough, but in 2009? Craig himself said this wasn't a project to drift off into 2009.

If you're really expecting a pre 2009 release theres a pretty fair chance you'll be VERY disapointed!
I could go on and list all the reasons why, but I don't think anyone wants another negative sounding post (Especially me, if I have to contend with one more rabid fanboy firing from the hip, without actually reading what I've posted I might get nasty :angry: lol), added to that, its not really my place to be making predictions.
But its worth bearing in mind that they haven't started final production yet, can't get the screens, haven't got the keypads, etc etc, thats an awful lot to fit into a month and a bit.

So lets just put it this way:

You're expecting it to be delivered by the 20th Dec, when it doesn't arrive you're going to be disapointed as hell, raise a fuss and get shouted at by the fanboys.

I'm expecting my unit sometime around Feb. if/When I dont get in by the end of Dec I'll be a little bit dissapointed, but I wont really mind, if it does arrive I'll be happy as Larry.
If I near Febuary and it doesn't look to be getting any closer, then I'm canceling my order and getting a Wiz for half the price, and I don't think anyone will blame me.

Its all about aiming low, keeping your options open and having realistic expectations you know?

but the fact is, when most people 'aim low' they do it with a nagging hope in the back of the mind that they WILL get it beforehand, so really I think most people will be just as dissapointed either way.
i know ill be dissapointed if i dont get mine by christmas

Maybe we can use some of the 'spare' months of the year to ensure it gets released in 2008?

"It'll be released on, or after the 20th of Floopuary."

In that case they aren't aiming low enough :D

And I don't see how people can expect them to be finished and shipped in that kind of time frame, the Devs have pretty much admited they wont be going out on time a couple of times now.

Added to all that, surely people have got more important things to worry about at this time?

===> @ CC Machine
No worries dude, I'm only being so realistic/pessamistic because I've been in this sittuation a few times before.
The thing you've got to remember is that this is these guys business, they aren't gonna come straight out and admit to mistakes, or unforseen problems, its always gonna be about putting a possitive spin on what information is released.
And thats not a bad thing, thats just how business works :D

I miss builtin WLAN in The Wiz and there're no Via Nano or AMD-Netbooks out. I save a lot of money and I have to wait until April - and really, I don't want to buy a black pandora but maybe I just have to :-(

I second the DS recommendation. Perhaps a used one.

I've got a DS with a Supercard SD (I'd recommend getting a newer, Slot-1 card, however) and I can do a bunch of the stuff you've mentioned. ScummVM will play 'The Secret of Monkey Island' and there are a couple of different MP3 playing softwares.

Also it should be pretty easy to re-sell if you don't want it after you get a Pandora.

Max said:
is its clearly not designed for my decadent western hands!
This is why I still use the original DS and not the DS Lite. People think I'm crazy, but I tell you those extra couple of centimeters make a difference!

VRAndy said:
I second the DS recommendation.
+1

i recently got a ds lite + r4ds and i'm loving it. there is a great homebrew port of lemmings, for example. works great with the touchscreen.

and since you mentioned monkey island in your original post: there is scummvm, too, of course. haven't tried that yet, though.

oh, and should you be into making music at all, there are also some really cool music apps for the ds, both commercial (ds-10) and homebrew (glitchds!)...

Yea, I should mention that I haven't actually tried ScummVM with Monkey Island. I'm just going by the compatability list.
It's perfectly usable with Day of the Tentacle. I have tried that. (The edges of the screen get cropped slightly, however.)

Hmmm Im seriously swayed by the DS suggestion, seems as though I can get a second had DS phat for about £20, get the cart for about the same price and fiddle around with that till my Pandora arrives, then give it to one of my friends kids or something :D

Gonna have to look around in the town to see what the local rate is.

I recommend securing the cache of drugs. Primarily cannabis and various extracts thereof. Maybe a little opium & some peyote(since its gonna be awhile).

A GP2X and two hot roommates.

Enjoy!

Peace

Link

I'll be getting the Tomy I-Sobot robot.
Was $300 last year, now available for $99.
Amazing deal.
It has 17 servo motors and a solid state gyro for balance.
Should keep me busy for a month (or three)...

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/75494.asp?promo=homepage
http://www.vimeo.com/1567495
isobot.jpg

j.pickens said:
ITomy I-Sobot robot.
neat. although probably not ideal for max standing behind his service counter - might raise a few eyebrows among his customers :D

Karel Jansens said:
lubidog said:
Iphone. The best gadget I have ever owned. Now with over the air Podcasting.

I don't care what any of you say, as a very experienced gadgeteer, with enough debts to bear witness to this, nothing has given me so much pleasure in so many ways! Heck, it's my guitar tuner, ipod, tells me when speedcameras are approaching, plays great games, plays my movies, emails, internet, ebook reader, dictaphone, portable piano (essential for my job!), camera, photo viewer

Etc etc etc! The list is endless!

And it is a very good phone.

And it keeps my little girl happy in the car!
So does hard liquor.

See the point?

No, and neither do you!

While you are gnashing your anti-apple teeth the rest of us are just enjoying one of the greatest pieces of kit ever made!

Who's the clever one here?

Back on topic. I just want to second the Eee pc. I have now the 1000h. And it's lovely. Just lovely!

Game boy micro with flash cart? ;) super portable and fast to put away if you'lll use it behind the till. Looks like your messing with a cell phone in the distance too. D-pad and screen is amazing on them btw, but avoid games that use shoulder buttons too much if you have large hands! :p

Back