I Need A Gadget To Tide Me Over Till The Pandora!

Follow Lubi - get a puppy, it'll keep you plenty occupied until Spring. Next we'll be able to have cats and dogs threads to keep us amused.

TaG said:
Follow Lubi - get a puppy, it'll keep you plenty occupied until Spring. Next we'll be able to have cats and dogs threads to keep us amused.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
This 'puppy' you speak of... what is this? A type of cat perhaps?

In an argument of dogs vs cats though, what would Linux be? A parrot?

ashdjones said:
This 'puppy' you speak of... what is this? A type of cat perhaps?

In an argument of dogs vs cats though, what would Linux be? A parrot?

No, Mac O/S is a parrot - looks great but ultimately costs you a fortune.
Windows is a cat. No matter how much you think you are in control, it'll do what it wants, when it wants. And then shit in your own back yard.
Linux is the adorable puppy - it might take quite an effort to get it to do exactly what you want but it will reward you in the end.

Now, I might just be in serious need of a cheap tech toy for the next couple of months...

I'm starting to consider getting a nice small low-power single board computer (or a PDA with a broken screen :D ) with WiFi connectivity, some memory, and RS232. Then just use my Psion 3a as a serial terminal for it.
Hm, maybe if my father could send me my broken Acer n30...

A good ol' Psion 5 might be nice too.

Or maybe an HP Jornada 720/728.

In fact, any small device.

I'm waiting for my TopToy DS to replace my Supercard. Alas, it's on the slow boat from China, so it won't get here until after the Thanksgiving holidays.

I think I'm gonna go buy a couple of DS games actually.

I only just realised that they are releasing Chrono Trigger for it next year.

TaG said:

Just get a TT DS, and put the SNES version of Chrono Trigger on it. :)

wesbrown18 said:
TaG said:

Just get a TT DS, and put the SNES version of Chrono Trigger on it. :)I've got a Supercard One - really impressed. Not yet got a SNES emulator working very well. Which do you use?

TaG said:
Not yet got a SNES emulator working very well. Which do you use?
snemulds works ok. not perfect, but perfectly usable. at least with super r-type and micromachines (that's the two snes games that i play most on my ds lite)

bartleby said:
TaG said:
Not yet got a SNES emulator working very well. Which do you use?
snemulds works ok. not perfect, but perfectly usable. at least with super r-type and micromachines (that's the two snes games that i play most on my ds lite)Ta. I'll give it a try. :)

Chrono Trigger DS is available now for those with flashcarts as the japanese version includes english. Trackmania DS is also out there..

MilanC said:
I'm starting to consider getting a nice small low-power single board computer (or a PDA with a broken screen :D ) with WiFi connectivity, some memory, and RS232. Then just use my Psion 3a as a serial terminal for it.
Hm, maybe if my father could send me my broken Acer n30...

A good ol' Psion 5 might be nice too.

Or maybe an HP Jornada 720/728.

In fact, any small device.

gotta say the Jornada 720 is a brilliant device, you can do a lot with it, there are a few key hardware mods that are useful (replacing the backlite with LEDs is often a very good idea as the standard one is naf), i still use mine, lovely little machine

I've pre-ordered GTA IV on Steam and I'm really hoping I can get it to run on my laptop (I'll run it in PS2-o-vision if I have to, it's not like I've played the other GTA games because of their awesome graphics).

If that doesn't run then I'm stuck. I upgraded my iPod Touch to 2.2 so no jailbreak for me and I'm kind of fed up with the games on my DS so I suspect I'll be aiming to get some new toy. Which will most likely be rubbish compared to what I have/what I'll be getting with the Pandora. :(

I'd get a pet if I wasn't living in a crappy tiny apartment in the middle of Madrid.

Actually a Jornada 720 is form-factor-wise more suited to my needs than Pandora. Alas, I guess I can't use it to edit photos over 1024x768...

----------------

I found something quite cool today: Zipit Z2.
For $50, you get:
312MHz ARM processor, 32MB RAM, some small flash memory, MiniSD slot, WiFi, QVGA screen, full keyboard, no touchscreen or mouse.

The included software is no use, but http://www.openzipit.org/ seems to have a modified openembedded tree for it and some instructions...

If I can't find a cheap Jornada, I'm buying this.

I was wanting a new gadget to tide me over as well. I was considering getting a gps receiver for my car but then I dropped my cellphone in the toilet. I decided on an iPhone and I have to say I think it's going to tide me over just fine :-D

Just got my Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 (aka the SEX1) so i'm golden :) this thing is so funky

MilanC said:
Actually a Jornada 720 is form-factor-wise more suited to my needs than Pandora. Alas, I guess I can't use it to edit photos over 1024x768...

----------------

I found something quite cool today: Zipit Z2.
For $50, you get:
312MHz ARM processor, 32MB RAM, some small flash memory, MiniSD slot, WiFi, QVGA screen, full keyboard, no touchscreen or mouse.

The included software is no use, but http://www.openzipit.org/ seems to have a modified openembedded tree for it and some instructions...

If I can't find a cheap Jornada, I'm buying this.

Hmmm, this looks pretty fun. If I could get emacs + wifi on a $50 device...

Back