I Need Java

Kumaki

OK, so I tried a basic search in Repo, and did not find...I did a basic search thru this Forum, and could not find any threads that linked me to where I get it...so, could someone point me to where I get the Java to install on Pandora, please?

Thanks!

^^^  Looks like WizardStan is working on the most current version...he should release an updated pnd soon (look under most recent threads in the "software" category...

Edit 1:  Alternately, you could go to "The Repo" and search for "java"...it'd be an older version but would work I'm sure.  And on that note....I'm done with work - Finally!  What a long day.  At least I can blog at work.   B)   Nighty night------------------>

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh crap, the install is all busted now since I changed things!

Kumaki, hold that horse while I fix the upload.

And third? That doesn't seem fair.

Whatever happens with java. Please never make it bundled or included by default in any way!

I'd also like to see it come with a whole bunch of big bold warnings about security.

Java is malware.

Whatever happens with java. Please never make it bundled or included by default in any way!

I'd also like to see it come with a whole bunch of big bold warnings about security.

Java is malware.
What are you talking about? We are not talking about running java in browser here.

Java is the second most popular programming language worldwide. its multiplatform and relatively fast. If you dont want JAva you are missing out on a lot of things

Ok, go for it: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=java

Download, drop it into your pandora/menu directory, find the "Install Java" option, and everything should work from there.

edit: and by everything I mean desktop apps, via "java -jar foo.jar" or whatever. This doesn't include the browser plugin, unfortunately. It does have webstart, so theoretically web applets could be run, but they'd have to be run from the command line as well.

Can't the browsers be packaged to mount the java pnd at startup so they can take advantage of this?

If you dont want JAva you are missing out on a lot of things
I don't know, I uninstalled Java quite a while ago, and the only thing I've missed is my old TV guide software. Websites tend to be AJAX/HTML5 these days, and thankfully TuxGuitar thankfully has a "native" build :)

I do sense confusion here. Java isn't Javascript. Java programs that you run freestanding also isn't the same as Java applets/embedded crap that runs in your web browser. Different stuff. Different risks.

Back