I think I should formly Introduce myself

I've seen all of your vids already.
boy you are quick

I have much experience with android OS

and I heavily tested over 5 different types of android tablets including ipad 1st gen

and truthfully

I think tablet computers arent there with specs yet.....they leaped alot this year though :)

Sony, if you don't like thin client gaming, just ignore it. You're making us look like a bunch of relentless naysayers.

Curious, this (the no-delay playing) is over LAN I'm assuming. How is the delay over internet?

I was thinking about this kind of thing recently - using the Pandora as a client, and letting a home pc do all the heavy processing. I thought you could maybe have an OS that's just a X-windows client, and connects to a X-windows server on another (Linux) machine. My brain started to run away with the idea that it would enable you play stuff on your Pandora which would otherwise be too demanding, or intended for other systems (i.e. the server could be on a x86 machine, and it could be running wine). It would be no good for playing on the bus of course, but I could imagine sitting in bed with the Pandora, with it connected to a computer in the wardrobe.

I briefly looked into though, and I wondered if you'd just be trading in one set of limitations for another: what you'd gain in processing power, you'd lose in network latency. From the Pandora, you can connect wirelessly at a 'G' rate (54 Mbit/s, about half that realistically?), or at 'N' rate through a USB2 adapter (480 Mbit/s, but probably less in practise).

Saying that though, I've no idea what kind of data rates you'd need for lag-free gaming, but it would be interesting to find out.

Don't get me wrong ont his, I'm don't want to talk down your efforts, but I'm just a little bit curious about the usage scenario :

No matter how hard you optimize this, you will always depend on a fast WLAN Connection probably with the "server" in the same network. But if your already at home, why bother using the handheld device while the computer / TV is already there.

Using it with a mobile connection would not work, simply because you won't get any fast response time. Sure mobile communication will advance in the future, but so does mobile computing, and also does gaming hardware.

So after mobile communication has advanced far enough, that the connection can be provided with a suitable response time, the client hardware will be advanced enough to emulate the last one or two gaming hardware generations already -> back to suqare one.

You could come up with the argument, that after this point is reached, your concept will work - but you will still rely on emulator development. And as gaming hardware advances it will get harder and harder to do proper emulation (requiring also suitable server hardware), thus you will also lack in actuality.

Again don't get me wrong on this - as much as I don't like it - your right. This conecpt will become more and more "standard" in the future (see the new "wii-I dont't know last character" as the first step (a major company does) in this direction.

I think it sounds like a great idea :D go for it! jump in at #openpandora at irc.freenode.net if you need any help.

I am surprised at how much negative feed back you get here.

I start to wonder if there there only are pessimistic nay sayers on this board :p

Your solution have obvious drawbacks, but as you say, most often you have access to a high speed wireless network, at least i have it at home, at work, on campus and in our computer club, and i do not usually play very much when i am traveling in between them.

So after mobile communication has advanced far enough, that the connection can be provided with a suitable response time

what country do you live in? you know that you can get 22 Mbit/s with a better 3g connection and even faster with 4g. The 3g network in Sweden have been fast enough for years. especially when you consider the resolution of the pandora.

you can check it easily by trying to watch Youtube videos with higher resolution on your cellphone. if you do not need to wait for it to buffer, then you should be fine.

We have had 3g in sweden since some time around 2002-2004 and 4g since 2009.

Wikipedia said:
In 2009, the ITU-R organization specified the IMT-Advanced (International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced) requirements for 4G standards, setting peak speed requirements for 4G service at 100 Mbit/s for high mobility communication (such as from trains and cars) and 1 Gbit/s for low mobility communication (such as pedestrians and stationary users).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the UK is behind most of the civilised world in all forms of internet speed

I think the UK is behind most of the civilised world in all forms of internet speed

oh definately, especially if you take into account the fact that most things advertised as 'unlimited' have a 50GB monthly limit before they cap your speed to ridiculous, and peak time throttling from about lunchtime to midnight

But if your already at home, why bother using the handheld device while the computer / TV is already there.

I can think of a perfect scenario where this statement can be argued: My missis watches loads of crap on the telly, meaning that I can rarely play the WII - I would love to be able to get a bit further in Resident Evil 4, or new SMB WII via my Pandora. I say go for it!

Now, my main issue with this is that I still don't have my Pandora but that's beside the point...

Sounds excellent and any progress this way should be applauded as yet another option for Pandoras box to offer. I hope you get somewhere and help you may need in achieving something useable for gaming. Off to check your vids
smile.gif

i like this :)

i would be pretty happy to sit in my room and play PS3 games or something.

Its pretty similar to what the Wii U is going to be doing (in practice rather than technology) where you can play games using the remote screen from another room without it being turned on at the TV. if nintento have looked into similar, there definitely has to be merit to it

Nick

well yea, Nintendo started doing this with the WII U. I mean this concept isnt truly efficient if you are out of the house, but newer internet compatibilities will sure change how this will run in the future.

For me, for example, I do all my gaming at home and do little out of the house.

But for others, it might not work out the best.

Cheers

Virtual Terminals are unfortunately the future.

Once actual Internet speeds get to reasonable reliable levels then it will be more viable to play games that way.

The cloud is happening and it's gathering momentum fast!

Virtual Terminals are unfortunately the future.

Once actual Internet speeds get to reasonable reliable levels then it will be more viable to play games that way.

The cloud is happening and it's gathering momentum fast!

it's the past too, we're going in circles from remote terminals connecting to a mainframe to do work, to remote terminals connecting to a server to play games

personal cloud is where it's at really, then your data is still in your hands

it's the past too, we're going in circles from remote terminals connecting to a mainframe to do work, to remote terminals connecting to a server to play games

personal cloud is where it's at really, then your data is still in your hands
You raise a very good point here (well two actually). I have often thought of Google services that they would have been quite nice if only I could host them myself. I think that ubiquitous fiber will be the game changer for personal cloud computing as it finally addresses the limited upload capacity.

I was expecting VNC to be way to slow for any decent framerate and response time. The guys from onLive developed a special video encoder just to make on-the-fly encoding of video content feasible and still all reviews I have seen of it were complaining about the input latency. So as soon as you move beyond your local network border I would expect major input lag on such an approach.

I was expecting VNC to be way to slow for any decent framerate and response time. The guys from onLive developed a special video encoder just to make on-the-fly encoding of video content feasible and still all reviews I have seen of it were complaining about the input latency. So as soon as you move beyond your local network border I would expect major input lag on such an approach.

i run vnc at 20Mb/s and it's slow as hell (gigabit lan, next to no lag obviously), so network is a major problem.

personally i wouldn't use a 'cloud' service for anything more than public information or the odd note on evernote or something like that, eggs in one basket and all that, just keep everything on your own server, not hard to set up (there's even pre-done systems you can just throw at an old pc for it)

Yeah, I really *LOVE* your idea, and want to see it on the Pandora, but I honestly don't like the idea of straight up cloud gaming. The trouble is, what happens if the service goes dead? So do my games.

I wonder if it's possible to connect your pandora anywere as long one has WLAN. I think i tried this with my Iphone a loooong time ago so I could remotly control my computer at home while beeing at school, and it worked.

Could we use something like that, and stream games to the pandora?

Back